Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 12:54 am

i hope everyone will adopt rather than 'buy'. last year about 5 million dogs/cats destroyed due to lack of homes. i know that sounds like an huge number, but it's true.

want a purebred dog or cat? check your local animal shelters / rescue groups or go to petfinders on the web. 'buying' from internet, or pet store, or many local people will get you a puppy mill/kitten mill companion animal. you really can't understand how terrible the mills are till you've helped liberate one.

mixed breed dogs and cats make the best friends anywhere. less medical hassles due to genetic variations.( ask someone who has a cocker spaniel.) there are many of such size and cuddle factor choices to be endless. all ready to go home with you. just have to visit your local shelter.

louie is an ex-bait dog, about 14/15. louie helped me understand love. he has two cat sisters, came from the streets as roughly 3 week old kittens, now 14. like every animal on the planet.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Sep 2010, 1:59 am

I like dogs & I think I may like cats; I'm not sure cuz I never been around em much. My mom used to be allergic to cats as a kid & our neighbors cats used to occasionally crawl on her car & scratch it so she hates em. We had a dog but she died like six months ago. She was a stray that my dad found at work(he's a carpenter & builds houses) The owners were getting ready to move in & have a kid & were talking about calling the animal shelter so my dad brought her home. We think she had been abused because she had these chain scab marks around her neck. She was a very good dog till the last few years(we suspect she had some strokes & wasn't all there mentally) so I defiantly agree with danandlouie about adopting. I kind of want another dog but my mom doesn't really want one. If my dad sees another stray somewhere that seems good he might brig it home

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 3:45 am

I love both.
I like to see the dogs enjoying the beach.
I am definitely a cat person more.
You can own a dog but you never 'own' a cat.
I don't think I would like a pet, I don't want anything invading my own space.
My neighbours have three cats, here are two of them...

Bounty is the first one, Milky is the second one [he is a boy] and yes they are named after chocolate bars! Their other cat [Twix], I haven't yet got a picture of her.

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 6:38 am

I don't really like cats at all. But I really like German Shepherds.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 11:01 am

auntblabby wrote:
after much thought, i have decided that i could live without both of 'em. i'm allergic to pet dander, it messes my sinuses up something fierce. the perfect pet would lack the dander and have the cat's gentle nature and the dog's devotion. the perfect pet would not require its owner to be the alpha male/female, which excludes most dogs i have experienced. the perfect pet would also mind its owner, which excludes most cats i have known as well. i might be able to handle a furry robot pet.

Look into chinchillas :P
They are reputed to be non allergenic for dander sensitive people.
They live in a cage, and are happy to come out and zoom around the house.
I dunno about devotion, but they recognise you and they are gentle creatures if treated right.

On topic, if I had to make a choice betwen cat and dog, I'd take cat. But by a very narrow margin. (On the other hand, I will not even consider yippity fluff canines as a pet... they aren't true dogs!)

By simply doing what they are designed to do something large and magnificient happens. In this sense they show us how to live; The only barometer you have is your heart. When you spot your flower, you can't let anything get in your way. - John Laroche

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 11:49 am

100% a dog person. My mother says that even as a pre-verbal baby I made my love of dogs and distaste for cats quite clear. I love my dog beyond words.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Sep 2010, 2:32 pm

OddFiction wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
after much thought, i have decided that i could live without both of 'em. i'm allergic to pet dander, it messes my sinuses up something fierce. the perfect pet would lack the dander and have the cat's gentle nature and the dog's devotion. the perfect pet would not require its owner to be the alpha male/female, which excludes most dogs i have experienced. the perfect pet would also mind its owner, which excludes most cats i have known as well. i might be able to handle a furry robot pet.

Look into chinchillas :P
They are reputed to be non allergenic for dander sensitive people.
They live in a cage, and are happy to come out and zoom around the house.
I dunno about devotion, but they recognise you and they are gentle creatures if treated right.

I've been having a chinchilla for five years I guess & you are rite about them being non-allergenic but their hay might could make you itch(it makes me itch) & it has an odor as well. You cant let a chin run around the house because they chew on EVERYTHING. They are kind of a high maintenance pet compared to the other rodents. I'd recommend doing a bit of research before getting one. They are very gentle & sweet thou

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition