Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 12:59 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
Another IQ thread :!:

IQ tests were originally designed to 'measure' (narrow) academic POTENTIAL (nothing more)
- at school, as in life, people routinely overachieve and under achieve relative to their potential (measured or not)

APQ might be a better description of the test and (with the elimination of the word 'intelligence') would almost certainly reduce the number of IQ threads on WP. :?

Sorry. I'm on some other forums where I'm not a newbie, when I see the same the kind on threads over and over again I usually just humor the people because I know that they have no way of knowing how often those things are posted.

Maybe I should just browse through all of the threads from the last 5 years before posting anything from now on.

Xule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2010, 1:35 pm

I can't take IQ tests. I've tried a couple of online ones but I find my attention wanders after just a few questions. The ones I managed to get through gave me pretty good results so I'm not interested in pursuing it any further.
Over here we take a multiple intellgence test in high school, which I think is far more effective. Rather than telling you how 'smart' you are, it goes through your strengths, weaknesses and interests to give you a general idea of what type of career would be best for you. I think this idea should be taken up by other countries, since it doesn't expect people to conform to the norm.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:23 pm

Horus wrote:
Danielismyname wrote:
All over the place over here depending on far too many factors to list. I can score retarded to above average/high.

All over the place here too depending on factors which are still
a complete mystery to me.

I've scored "impaired" on some subtests (like object assembly) to
"very superior" on others like information and vocabulary.

My lowest FSIQ was in the low average range (94) and my highest was
in the very superior range (143).

According to our psychologist a big point spread like that is indicative of AS, but that AS does not cause an overall increase or decrease in intelligence. I think of it as the Autism Fairy comeing in and moving some points from one area to another. My two Aspies have totally different strengths vs weaknesses to yours. They both have relatively low Cognitive Processing Speed but are very gifted in Visual Spacial Reasoning. Eldest Son has such low Cognitive Processing Speed that he's considered severely impaired. His VSR skill is in the genius range, but everything else is pretty average. Middle Son has him by 20/30 IQ points. His CPS is in the low average range, but everything else is up in the higher end in the Superior/Very Superior range. She also said that the two areas they are both weakest are areas that are not always included in averaged scores because they don't predict complexity of thought which would give even higher averages.

Little Guy had a much different picture. His IQ scores were all clustered and in the high average range. He also took the WIAT-II which measures academic performance (IQ is supposed to predict academic performance and measures only convergent thought, not divergent thought, creativity or several other kinds of intelligence). Because this child has been displaying predigious ability both tests were administered in a way that can accurately measure intelligence/performance up into the 170-200 range (someone said it's a different test, it isn't exactly. It's an additional test section, and there is a slightly different way of administering it. Instead of quitting when the student seems to max out, they keep going because sometimes prodigiously intelligent people do poorly on the low end stuff but shine on the high end stuff).

Little Guy's Wiat-II scores were up in the prodigious range, big time. He isn't just top one percent. He's top one percent of the top one percent. His IQ didn't reflect this at all. This could be an indication of divergent thinking, but isn't for him...we think. He's very good at logic and on the creativity test he was given for the schools gifted program didn't meet standards (he did in all the other tests, big time so got in). He also didn't speak until he was 5 and was at one time diagnosed as PDD-NOS, but now does not appear to be in the spectrum at all (not cured, we just got it wrong on one of the diagnoses, just don't know which one!). He's got really strange language aquisition stuff going on, but scores incredibly high in grammar and reading comprehension, but struggles to learn new words. His vocabulary is still excellent, just not relative to his other skills...again it's that point spread thing.

Umm, if I were an Aspie, this would totally be my obsessive interest. If non Aspies are allowed to have obsessive interests, then that's what it is. I really love cognitive development and learning theory and now that I have incredibly interesting kids I feel like I've totally hit the jackpot. A lab right in my own home.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:25 pm

I'd like to just add that a Savant is a totally different kind of profile entirely. A Savant will be impaired in many areas with scores well below normal, but have one or two areas of extreme genius. People can be born that way or get there through brain injury.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:32 pm

Katatonic wrote:
I have often wondered about this so I'm glad this has been brought up. In the last week or so I've taken two seperate IQ tests and scored 86 on one and 94 on the other. They give you 15 minutes to complete 30 questions.......and I was freaking out the entire time. Whenever I'm timed my mind goes into hyperdrive and I have a million voices flying through my head at once. I'll look at a question and read it, and at the same time I'm thinking of several other things (most of those time related) so then I'll just say "to hell with it" and click on an answer. If I wasn't timed I would probably do very well, but then I guess that would defeat the purpose since (to my knowledge) IQ tests are meant to test you on how fast you can process information and solve it? I've had doctors and other people say how intelligent I am but after taking these tests? I feel like I should have been in special education *shrugs*.

Those sound like low quality self administered tests. To get a really accurate score you'd need a well trained psychologist who specializes, and has experience, with the kinds of learning issues you've got. This will still not tell you everything about your intelligence, but it will give you an accurate picture of one kind of intelligence. It will help you see some of your strengths and weaknesses. My Eldest has a severe impairment in Cognitive Processing Speed. This is useful because he now gets extra time on tests, and his school test scores now accurately reflect how well he knows what's been taught.

There are many many kinds of intelligence and what's most important is that you find out what you're good at and make the most of it. That's what will make you happiest and probably lead to the most fulfilling work and life. The IQ and other tests are useful as that kind of tool, nothing more. Dont take those low quality tests too seriously.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 7:47 pm

MotownDangerPants wrote:
Maybe I should just browse through all of the threads from the last 5 years before posting anything from now on.

It's easier to just use the search function at the top of the page.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.