81-90% 12%  12%  [ 9 ]
91-100% 26%  26%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 76

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 2:01 pm

I got 80%.

I found this test confusing because the premises are mostly nonsense statements. I also had trouble knowing how literally I was supposed to interpret the statements. I'm also a right hemisphere thinker so I don't do so well with word problems that have no concrete visual basis.

IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2010, 2:13 pm

marshall wrote:
I got 80%.

I found this test confusing because the premises are mostly nonsense statements. I also had trouble knowing how literally I was supposed to interpret the statements. I'm also a right hemisphere thinker so I don't do so well with word problems that have no concrete visual basis.

yes that confused me as well

Xule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2010, 2:32 pm

73%
More than I thought

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:18 pm

I got 87%, which was somewhat in the range I was expecting. I don't usually study things like this, so it doesn't necessarily make me a very logical person.

I had to look up "up before the beak", though. Silly British people with their biscuits and lorries..... Apparently a/the "beak" is a slang term for a judge. I.e., they were in court.

Last edited by Michael_Stuart on 31 May 2010, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:19 pm

I didn't expect to get a very high score, so my score doesn't really bother me.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:47 pm

katzefrau wrote:
anyway, once you read the test questions it becomes clear that the initial propositions can be fictitious- we all know birds aren't reptiles, for example. triangles don't have four sides.

Actually, an odd fact is... birds ARE reptiles... but many of the other premises in that one were false.
They used to have their own class "aves" but have been put into reptiles.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 5:02 pm

Exclavius wrote:
katzefrau wrote:
anyway, once you read the test questions it becomes clear that the initial propositions can be fictitious- we all know birds aren't reptiles, for example. triangles don't have four sides.

Actually, an odd fact is... birds ARE reptiles... but many of the other premises in that one were false.

i thought reptiles had to be cold blooded? 8O

huh.
well, triangles don't have four sides, in any case. so i still think one could easily surmise that the premises need not be true.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 5:30 pm

HenryKrinkle wrote:
Mysty wrote:
HenryKrinkle wrote:
The test isn't very good. It implies that you should ignore the semantics of the words, or at least is ambiguous as to whether semantics matter or whether it's purely a formal/syntactic logic that should be used.

No, because at least one of the questions, it's required to pay attention to the sematics of the words (see my post just above).

Maybe I misunderstood you but, even if what you say is true, it doesn't contradict what I said. In fact it could be used to validate what I said. :D

How are "ignore the sematics" and "pay attention to the semantics" not opposites?

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 6:54 pm

Mysty wrote:
HenryKrinkle wrote:
Mysty wrote:
HenryKrinkle wrote:
The test isn't very good. It implies that you should ignore the semantics of the words, or at least is ambiguous as to whether semantics matter or whether it's purely a formal/syntactic logic that should be used.

No, because at least one of the questions, it's required to pay attention to the sematics of the words (see my post just above).

Maybe I misunderstood you but, even if what you say is true, it doesn't contradict what I said. In fact it could be used to validate what I said. :D

How are "ignore the sematics" and "pay attention to the semantics" not opposites?

Dang you two, stop taking each other so literal, and by doing so misunderstanding what the other is saying.

You'd think the two of you suffered from Aspergers or something like that!

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 7:07 pm

Exclavius wrote:

I'm not doubting you, since things have been shifted around so much in my lifetime. For example, when I was in school, there were only three kingdoms and no domains (kingdom was the highest the categorizations went. Nowadays there are three domains, two empires (according to some systems), and either five or six kingdoms, depending on who you ask. So I'm not doubting when you say that Aves has been merged with Reptilia (were Aves just put into Reptilia wholesale or are they a subclass of Reptilia?)

My question is when did this happen? My references (i.e. my biology textbook from three years ago) don't show the change so it must be very recent? I can't find reference to it online, either.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2010, 7:53 pm

60%. The wording of things in the test was sort of confusing for me.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 7:57 pm

Exclavius wrote:
katzefrau wrote:

The birds are descendant of dinosaurs who descended of reptiles, true; But so are mammals. If birds are reptiles, then we are too.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 8:07 pm

there is a LOT of conflict on the subject... But i do believe that the "new" standard consensus is that they are reptiles. Dawkins refers to them as such, and there are few biologists that I would trust more.

Link

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 8:26 pm

10 - 67%

I'm surprised I did that well. I've long since learned to reject strict logic, and to get some of those things right, you really have to take everything super literal.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 8:31 pm

I got 87%, which was higher than I expected.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 9:08 pm

i think we are more logical than the logic test.