71-80% 30%  30%  [ 23 ]
81-90% 12%  12%  [ 9 ]
91-100% 26%  26%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 76

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 9:08 pm

i think we are more logical than the logic test.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 9:21 pm

Exclavius wrote:
there is a LOT of conflict on the subject... But i do believe that the "new" standard consensus is that they are reptiles. Dawkins refers to them as such, and there are few biologists that I would trust more.

Link

Your link says:

Quote:
Yes, birds are reptiles. It is true the birds were previously placed in their own class, class Aves, however recent genetic evidence tells us that they are in fact reptiles. Modern birds most likely evolved from small two-legged dinosaurs called theropods.

Unlike other reptiles that are ectotherms (a term more accurate than cold-blooded), birds are endotherms, meaning they use their own metabolism to maintain a constant body temperature.

This may confuse many people, but cladistics has become the most widely used method in systematics as it clarifies evolutionary relationships that are not apparent in other taxonomic classifications.

I found another wikianswer that phrased it a little differently:

Quote:
Traditionally, the amniotes are classified in 3 distinct classes: birds are in Aves. turtles, crocodilians, lizards, snakes, and extinct reptiles like dinosaurs, ptersosaurs, therapsids, synapsids, etc. are in Reptilia, and the mammals in Mammalia. This arrangement works well and is accepted by most scientists world wide for over 150 years.

And then some paleontologists who subscribed to cladistic dogma came along in the 1980's and want to upset the apple cart. They want to divide the amniotes into 2 classes: Reptilia and Mammalia. They put all birds within Reptila, and transfer all synapsid and therapsid reptiles from Reptilia to Mammalia. According to these cladists, then, many reptiles which were not directly ancestral to mammals (nor did they ever evolve any mammalian features such as hair) are now part of their "Mammalia." That sort of classification is "impractical, destructive and scientifically untenable" according to Ernst Mayr, the Harvard evolutionary biologist.

Since the cladists ignore the wisdom of the great minds of the past, they therefore continue to use their classification, while most of the sane world continue the traditional Reptilia, Aves and Mammalia arrangement. Therefore there are today 2 different ways to classify birds: the sane traditional way (birds not included in Reptilia), and the cladistic paleontologist's impractical way (birds included in Reptilia).

Both mention "cladist" which is a word unfamiliar to me, so I had to look it up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cladist

This isn't what's being taught in basic classes yet. Linnaean taxonomy is still the norm in high school and Bio 101 classes. So I'm going to stick with Linnaean for now because it's still considered to be the fundamental teaching and phylogenetic nomenclature is still very cutting-edge and theoretical and apparently has no more place in a classroom at present than intelligent design.

This, of course, may change. I was among the first group of schoolchildren to be taught about continental drift. Scientists were talking about it amongst themselves for at least a hundred years prior, but it was only in my childhood that it was considered fundamental enough to teach to us third-graders (at the same time, it was finally introduced into GEOL 101 classes in universities.) When phylogenetic nomenclature replaces Linnaean taxonomy in high schools and introductory biology classes in universities, then I'll bother learning the new system. Until then, it's something interesting but far too obscure to catch my interest.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

xdr5tgb
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2010, 2:13 am

I didn't look up "before the beak". It looked like a typo to me. My first guess was

***Up before the birds.***

Does up before the beak predate up before the birds?

Beak/birds

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 3:51 am

xdr5tgb wrote:
I didn't look up "before the beak". It looked like a typo to me. My first guess was

***Up before the birds.***

Does up before the beak predate up before the birds?

Beak/birds

I had assumed it was a typo and was meant to say "up before the break of dawn."

It never even occured to me that "up before the beak" could have been exactly what was meant and some kind of slang. I don't expect slang on a test like that.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 5:31 am

Where is this test? I want to do it.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 7:48 am

Robdemanc wrote:
Where is this test? I want to do it.

See the first post in this thread.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 8:02 am

Thanks. I got 80% I am happy with that. Some of the questions were deliberately confusing though. I think.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 8:17 am

73%

I didn't put much thought or time into it.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 8:54 am

I scored 93% (14/15)

As I proceeded through the test I actually thought my score was going to be a lot lower :!: :roll: :arrow:

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 10:33 am

80% (12 right).

I disagree with 6, but that's the crime special interest in me.

Three years!

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2010, 12:17 pm

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Gave up. Couldn't figure whether to take a lot of those questions literally or not. >.<

Yeah, I couldn't take it either, too counter intuitive to me.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 2:02 pm

I expected to get 60% because I have stupid, illogical thoughts on things and can get too emotional.

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 2:31 pm

93%. I missed a fairly silly one I wouldn't have missed had I been a bit more awake.

LoveMoney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2010, 12:28 pm

60%.

I didn't understand everything.
The English is too difficult here.

If it would be Dutch or French it would be much higher.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 2:03 pm

80%. Now, honestly, some of what I answered differently than the test wanted it later explained it was neither valid nor invalid.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 2:20 pm

Judging by the poll results either:

- We are quite a logical bunch of people 8)
- The test was easy :roll:
- Some of the voters lied 8O