Have you ever unknowingly been diagnosed with something?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 8:22 pm

I found out recently that my psychiatrist diagnosed me with Depression a few years ago. I had no prior knowledge of such a diagnosis, so I was surprised when I found out that I had previously been diagnosed with that. I'm not even sure I'd fit the criteria required for a diagnosis of Depression. I can get moody at times, but I don't think I have it. This diagnosis was probably made a few years ago during my early teenage years when I was a lot more moody than I am now. It's possible that I used to have Depression, but it's not really a problem for me anymore.

So has anyone else ever been unknowingly diagnosed with something and only found out years later about the diagnosis?

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 8:28 pm

Yes. My parents chose not to tell me that I had ADHD until I was in about 4th or 5th grade, even though I was diagnosed in either preschool or kindergarten.

That said, they DID get me help in the form of a psychologist all through those years, and through their own help. I think they wanted me to be old enough to understand personal responsibility first, though...and given the particular way I was brought up (not to use medication but to learn coping skills exclusively), I don't think it would've worked any other way.

I don't think that way would be for everyone, but in my case I think my parents handled it right.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 8:32 pm

I found out at 51 that I was provisionally diagnosed at 17 with Schizoid Personality Disorder. Provisionally because I wasn't 18 yet. My sister in law told me and my mother confirmed it. Before that she just said "maladjusted" and never told me the full details.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 8:36 pm

Yes, my psychiatrist does it to me all the time, I have my therapist look on the computer and tell me what in the world he has changed my diagnosis to this time. I need him to look it up for me again soon to see what it is now.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 9:26 pm

I've never had someone not inform me of a diagnosis, but sometimes I don't understand that I've been diagnosed. I probably won't get it unless they say "Alex, you have Aspergers". My mom went with me to this session where I was diagnosed...I said something about diagnosis later and she corrected me by saying I was, in fact, diagnosed.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 9:31 pm

I didn't know that I'm on the spectrum, until I was 15 years old. I wish that my parents would have told me, 5 years sooner. I'd be a completely different person, if I was told at the age of 10. I'd be a Beatles Fan who stood for America and apple pie. Why, because I would have kept those two obsessions to myself, if I would have known, 5 years earlier.

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2010, 9:40 pm

For many years, I was told that I was misdiagnosed with autism. It took until recently to come to odds with the fact that it was indeed a true diagnosis. Reflecting on my life, I had classic low functioning autism when I was a little kid. On top of this, my mom finally confirmed that I do indeed have autism. Finally, a lot of my shortcomings made more sense.

Jpeg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2010, 12:09 am

I was diagnosed with AS when I was 6 or 7 but I wasn't told until I was 16 and specifically asked if I had aspergers (I knew I had been diagnosed with something but no specifics). It would have really helped to have known earlier.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 12:43 am

I was told I had AS years after being diagnosed.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 12:45 am

AS.

Took a year for that one to come out, though it ended up HFA, but that's the same thing.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 May 2010, 1:14 am

A psych told my parents he suspected I had AS during the summer of 9th & 10th grade but no one mentioned it to me till after I graduated HS. Also when I was 21 one doc I saw diagnosed me as a pedophile & no one told me about the diagnosed till a couple years latter. What happened was in a conversation with him I made the mistake of mentioning how I liked my neighbor who as 16 at the time & he made the comment to me about how it was wrong. It was NOT a sexual thing & her younger sister was running around with a 19year-old when she was 14 & I was a friend of the family so I didn't see what the problem was. The doc must of assumed it was a sexual thing with me when it was NOT & we had a disagreement. I probably said something I shouldn't of. The docs I saw in the next year or so kept asking me questions about sexual stuff & no one mentioned the diagnoses to me. I found out about it two years later when one doc sent me a copy of a lot of reports witch also had me diagnosed with other things that no docs had mentioned to me before like Schizoid Personality Disorder, Schizotypal Personality Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, & Codependent Disorder. The docs just told me that I did not have Aspergers but never told me what I had listed in my charts instead.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 5:13 am

Yes, back at about 28 years of age with Adjustment Disorder, only found out when I saw my records when I picked them up from old dr. to transfer them to current one.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 11:22 am

Yes. I had a diagnosis of recurrent depressive disorder for 17 years before I found out! Now it seems they think I am an aspie so i want them to remove the depression..