Quatermass' DVD Review blog (tentative)

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 11:31 pm

Okay, given how my book-reading blog is going, I thought I would make things interesting. You see, I have a number of DVDs, particularly those of series like Doctor Who. But I realised that I haven't watched all of these. In fact, the ones that I have watched, or at least watched recently, are in the minority. So, I propose the following: as well as reading and finishing at least one book that I haven't read per week, how about I watch and finish one DVD per week? And to make it interesting, well, let's look in the tentative rules I have drawn up:

1. It doesn't matter what the DVD is, whether it be a movie, TV show, or documentary, as long as it is something I haven't seen before, and is not ridiculous.

2. What actually counts as 'watching' the DVD is as follows:

*For a movie, watching the entire movie, barring end credits, except where there is a post-credits sequence, counts.

*For a TV series, it depends. Serials such as Doctor Who mean that a story, regardless of its length, counts. However, in series that have self-contained stories in one episode, a whole or a determined portion of the season counts. This depends on whether, say, it is a season composed of half-hour episodes, or 45-minute long episodes, or is released as 90-minute episodes.

*For a documentary, the rules apply depending on whether it is in the format of a movie, or a series.

3. Special features do not count towards the completion of watching a film or TV series.

4. Although I will present a list of DVDs from my collection, it will be you, yes, you who select what I watch. Depending on the response I get, it might be done based on majority rules, first-come, first served, or just arbitraily chosen, but your opinion does still matter.

5. After each completed viewing, I must write a review, similar in format to my book-reading blog.

6. The DVDs will be selected from a list I will provide based on my collection. Note that this does not show everything in my collection, rather, what I haven't watched.

So, anyone interested?

On sabbatical...

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 3:48 am

Melbi is interested. Melbi watches a lot of movies except for the scary ones... anyway, Melbi watches movies on a daily bases... so very interested!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:08 am

Ooh! Me! I'm interested! I have good recommendations for you! :D I can't wait till you watch my favorite movies and write a review of them, even if you don't like them. Movies on DVD are a special interest of mine, and I love sharing it with others.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:39 am

melbi wrote:
Melbi is interested. Melbi watches a lot of movies except for the scary ones... anyway, Melbi watches movies on a daily bases... so very interested!

IdahoRose wrote:
Ooh! Me! I'm interested! I have good recommendations for you! :D I can't wait till you watch my favorite movies and write a review of them, even if you don't like them. Movies on DVD are a special interest of mine, and I love sharing it with others.

Okay, I really must point out something: until I exhaust what's on the list, the movies that I watch and review will be ones that I actually have on DVD at home. Don't get me wrong, I've got quite a few that I haven't watched, but I'm not taking requests from outside my collection unless:

1. I can access them easily from the local library (and my local library has a pretty wide range, I'm hoping to get Avatar tomorrow).

2. I like the sound of them.

I'll put it bluntly what sort of films I don't like: almost all horror movies, romantic comedies (or romances, period), or OTT action films.

Send requests by all means, but they have a far lower priority as to what is on the list, which I will post once I have a little more interest in this. You can all choose from what is on the list with impunity. To give you an idea, there will be 9 movies, 2 television miniseries, 2 documentary series, 6 sets of TV series that aren't Doctor Who, and 36 Doctor Who serials. Also, keep in mind that this is the stuff that I haven't watched, or haven't watched as a whole.

Of course, IdahoRose, seeing since you have the Mad Hatter as an avatar, I can tell you straight up that I have no objections to any Tim Burton movies, as long as I can get them from the library. However, I have already watched Batman, Batman Returns, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the new Alice in Wonderland from start to finish. I also have the first three on DVD at home. Actually, one Tim Burton film I want to watch is Ed Wood....

On sabbatical...

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 5:03 am

Melbi has a lot of DVDs at home, can lend you some. lots of Jap ones as well.

Don't reject my offer yet!

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 5:26 am

melbi wrote:

This is primarily about my collection, not yours or anyone else's. And I am still waiting for other people to register their interest. If it's just you and IdahoRose, then I won't bother.

On sabbatical...

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 5:27 am

I recommend "Let The Right One In". It's a Swedish horror movie and if I try to describe it, I'll only end up belittling or spoiling it. I will say though, before you do your own research, that it is much much more than its synopsis - Please don't be turned off by the 'vampire' bit; it is greater than that. I will also say that the sense of isolation is palpable in every frame and that it is (if not the most) one of the most chilling films I have ever seen.

Fabulous film. Worth finding if you don't own it (which is likely). Netflix has it, I believe. (:

EDIT: Just saw your latest post, QM... Was I supposed to just jump in and recommend a movie here? Sorry if you were waiting for more replies before opening a new thread more formally. :oops:
Well, either way, my hearty recommendation still stands. :lol:

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 5:44 am

Quatermass wrote:
melbi wrote:

This is primarily about my collection, not yours or anyone else's. And I am still waiting for other people to register their interest. If it's just you and IdahoRose, then I won't bother.

Got it!
well...i know i shouldnt joke like this...but i can't help saying...my dolphin is interested as well :D

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 6:14 am

Jaejoongfangirl wrote:
I recommend "Let The Right One In". It's a Swedish horror movie and if I try to describe it, I'll only end up belittling or spoiling it. I will say though, before you do your own research, that it is much much more than its synopsis - Please don't be turned off by the 'vampire' bit; it is greater than that. I will also say that the sense of isolation is palpable in every frame and that it is (if not the most) one of the most chilling films I have ever seen.

Fabulous film. Worth finding if you don't own it (which is likely). Netflix has it, I believe. (:

EDIT: Just saw your latest post, QM... Was I supposed to just jump in and recommend a movie here? Sorry if you were waiting for more replies before opening a new thread more formally. :oops:
Well, either way, my hearty recommendation still stands. :lol:

No, you weren't. Please read the posts properly. It's primarily about what's in my collection. I'll take requests for DVDs that are outside my collection only if I deem them watchable.

And I know the rough plot of Let the Right One In already. I'm not sure I want to watch it, although I know I can get it from the library. Although it is at least much deeper than Twilight. But I dunno whether it is a bit too dark for my liking.

You know what? Reading the responses so far, I'm already going off the idea in a big way. Or at least the audience participation bit. *sigh* Now I know how Yahtzee feels. Or Monty Python.

On sabbatical...

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 6:39 am

Yes, it is very, very dark. To say the least. Well, I was hoping you'd deem Let The Right One In worthy; that you'd, in your words, "Like the sound of it." I just thought it seemed to fit your preference for Horror (though I personally don't consider it a romance) films that you described in your second post. But I guess I jumped the gun, there. Sorry!

But, whatever. I absolutely don't want to put you off your original idea. Again, sorry for misunderstanding. (:

So, just getting it straight for sure this time... This thread is a thread that is here to check to see what the reception would be like for another thread you may make in the future, that would actually be asking for film suggestions/requests for reviews that you would then post on a blog? Is that correct?

For what it's worth, I also put my hand in for being very interested in hearing your movie reviews. I always enjoy hearing well articulated opinions. (: If you still want, I'd be thrilled to contribute a second time (more helpfully :lol: ) once I know what movies are in your collection. Even if you still don't want to do the audience recommendation part, I still like the idea or hearing them. (:

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 6:54 am

Jaejoongfangirl wrote:
Yes, it is very, very dark. To say the least. Well, I was hoping you'd deem Let The Right One In worthy; that you'd, in your words, "Like the sound of it." I just thought it seemed to fit your preference for Horror (though I personally don't consider it a romance) films that you described in your second post. But I guess I jumped the gun, there. Sorry!

WTF? No, I said I don't like horror movies or romance, although I will be honest, there are exceptions to both.

Jaejoongfangirl wrote:
So, just getting it straight for sure this time... This thread is a thread that is here to check to see what the reception would be like for another thread you may make in the future, that would actually be asking for film suggestions/requests for reviews that you would then post on a blog? Is that correct?

Partly. The requests for reviews would be based on a list of DVDs that I currently own, but which I haven't watched all the way through. The vast majority are Doctor Who DVDs, but there are other DVDs.

(Whoops, didn't read the following paragraph, which showed your comprehension of that part)

Jaejoongfangirl wrote:
For what it's worth, I also put my hand in for being very interested in hearing your movie reviews. I always enjoy hearing well articulated opinions. (: If you still want, I'd be thrilled to contribute a second time (more helpfully :lol: ) once I know what movies are in your collection. Even if you still don't want to do the audience recommendation part, I still like the idea or hearing them. (:

Well, if you're interested, I could at least give you a taste of what they'd be like. I have done two book-reading blogs over the past year or so. The first, where I managed 22 books in 7 weeks, is here: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt104196.html

The second, which I am currently still doing, is up to 55 books in the past...16 weeks or so. It can be found here: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt118341.html

In both cases, albeit with rare exceptions (two or three between the two blogs), I have reviewed every book I read for it.

On sabbatical...