We Shouldn't be Offended by Ppl. Saying Autism is a Illness

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

frag
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 8:35 pm

I have an illness that can't be cured. So I don't think curability is the thing. There are acute and chronic illnesses. I'm not sure exactly where the line is between illness and disability, you don't even have to be born with a disability even if it's common. If you have lost a leg it's a disability, even being myopic could be seen as a minor disability, still no one would call them ill. A blind person is not ill. However some stuff leading up to blindness can be illnesses, like glaucoma.

Sometimes when I watch Trauma, Life in the ER, they say people that have been in terrible car wrecks very ill (or sick). That strikes me as odd, because they aren't ill either the way I see it. They are injured.

Being injured and being ill have the same opposite though, being well.

IF someone has cataracts removed and regain sight I guess they are cured from blindness. But even if this is a correct expression that too sounds odd to me.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 10:12 pm

I agree with the subject line only of the OP. We should not be offended by the word. It's simply a matter of semantics most of the time. To many people, the terms illness, disease, and disorder, are all interchangeable. I'm not saying they are right. I'm only saying it doesn't serve any practical purpose to be offended by it.

They're not the same.

Don't bother with being offended.

Educate them.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...