Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:08 pm

I was at Bath & Body Works and I couldn't smell the perfumes and soaps very well because of the music. When the music ended I could smell better but when the new song started, I couldn't. I've heard of people who have to turn off their refridgetors to taste their food but is this sort of thing common to autistic people?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:09 pm

I've never experienced that, before.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:30 pm

that sounds like a variant of synesthesia or something.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 4:57 pm

dunno if that sort of thing is common. i read everything i can find on here about sensory sensitivities and synesthesia and i seem to have wiring that is screwy in a slightly different way than most. in addition to sensitivities, i experience what you describe sometimes, which is when there is too much input, sometimes one sense will shut down or give me inaccurate information.

for example with a lot of noise, sometimes i can't taste my food. i had never heard of anything like this until i read in Tony Attwood's book about someone having to turn kitchen appliances off to taste their food. i thought i must be imagining it.

and sometimes i misinterpret smells and tastes. it smells overwhelmingly like salami in my car but when i ask someone else, they either don't smell it or it just smells like exhaust.

and once at a concert i lost my vision for maybe five or ten minutes. i was conscious, and felt fine. i just couldn't see.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 5:00 pm

katzefrau wrote:
dunno if that sort of thing is common. i read everything i can find on here about sensory sensitivities and synesthesia and i seem to have wiring that is screwy in a slightly different way than most. in addition to sensitivities, i experience what you describe sometimes, which is when there is too much input, sometimes one sense will shut down or give me inaccurate information.

for example with a lot of noise, sometimes i can't taste my food. i had never heard of anything like this until i read in Tony Attwood's book about someone having to turn kitchen appliances off to taste their food. i thought i must be imagining it.

and sometimes i misinterpret smells and tastes. it smells overwhelmingly like salami in my car but when i ask someone else, they either don't smell it or it just smells like exhaust.

and once at a concert i lost my vision for maybe five or ten minutes. i was conscious, and felt fine. i just couldn't see.

Sometimes my other sences shut off as well.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 5:17 pm

When my mum is cooking with the frypan, I can't smell the food because the noise gets in the way. I'm pretty sure it's a processing issue.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 8:44 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
When my mum is cooking with the frypan, I can't smell the food because the noise gets in the way. I'm pretty sure it's a processing issue.

makes sense. just too few wires to handle all the senses and input, is the way i think of it.

when i was younger i used to wonder whether i had temporal lobe epilepsy.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 5:21 am

Shebakoby wrote:
that sounds like a variant of synesthesia or something.

Yes, like anti-synesthesia. It is very interesting. I find the opposite, that stimulation of one sense will heighten the experience of others, and I smell what I see (even if it is on TV).