Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 9:15 am

I mentally cannot be anyone other than me cuz it causes me pain otherwise. I spent a long time hiding being gay and that was enough, Luckiliy I have never felt the desire to be like everyone else. I've always loved being different, even if it left me feeling like an outsider.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 9:42 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
If I was given the choice between having 40 friends who are into what their peers are into, and every Kinks record, ever made, between 1964 and 1984, I'd be more than happy to choose the records.

Cockney, I am DEFINITELY with you on this one :wink: :arrow:

IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2010, 9:44 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
If I was given the choice between having 40 friends who are into what their peers are into, and every Kinks record, ever made, between 1964 and 1984, I'd be more than happy to choose the records.

I would prefer one scratched beatles record over 40 peerpressuredconformityfreaks

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2010, 9:50 am

Definitely! I tried to fit in at age 13 and fell into depression. When I acknowledged who I was I made true friends.
So fitting in should be natural, not forced. We are not in a war-zone.

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2010, 10:02 am

Thank you, CockneyRebel, for reminding me of why I love WP! It's posts like these!

It's like when people at work refuse to promote you because you refuse to "fit in" by getting married and having kids..."like everybody else." And most of THOSE people were miserable being married and are now DIVORCED.

Happiness for me is to go home and obsess over some topic of great interest to me that I can indulge in on the computer! A wife would, by her own admission, see me as a stranger in the home or someone who doesn't need her. Kids...I don't even want to THINK about that!

Outside of work, I don't have a lot of trouble with people because I'm single...AND LOVING it! Those people who do have a problem with it or any of my other quirks, I tell 'em to P OFF! And fortunately, it's not a lot of people. People I'm fortunate enough to have a relationship with accept me for who I am. Some of them even revel in or celebrate me singleness...we make jokes about how being a couple has no meaning for me. And they also appreciate the love and loyalty I have for them as friends as I tend to attach deep meaning to these relationships.

It really means something to me to have people who can accept me for me in a world where I often feel like a stranger.

That means I really do enjoy WP as well!

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 10:28 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I will not pretend to be like my same age, same gendered peers, in order to fit in, just to be miserable. I will not grow my hair and wear it up. I will not wear the sexy tops that they make and sell, for women, these days. I will not pluck my eyebrows and wear make-up. I will not watch American Idol and I will not listen to Top 40. I will not squeal about bare chested men, with big muscles, either. I certainly will not tell dirty jokes, either. I know who I am.

Does anybody else feel that fitting in, is overrated?

Yup, definately.

You can't achieve anything by copying everyone else, because what does everyone else do that's so great?

All the people that everyone seems to look up to, from Bill Gates to the actors on telly, did something out of the ordinary to get to where they are.

As Warren Buffett said, "to succeed in a spectacular fashion you have to be spectacularly unusual"

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2010, 10:35 am

I dont want to fit in, I like being me. Give me a good cartoon over the top blood bath movie any time. Hhowever. One or two close friends would be nice :oops:

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 11:10 am

Pretending to be someone you're not will only make you unhappy.

AnonymissMadchen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2010, 2:00 pm

I think that your taking things to the opposite extreme.

I encurage people not to go too far to fit in, since they usually only end up doing what they think they need to do. I have friend who tried to fit in with the 12th grade class he was in by putting a picture of me in his binder and telling everyone I was his girlfriend. It really weired me out when I heard about it, and all his old friends made fun of him for it; finally, he had to work really hard to keep up the lie and constantly be on guard. The whole thing wasn't worth it, he admits now.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 2:05 pm

mesona wrote:
I dont want to fit in, I like being me. Hhowever. One or two close friends would be nice :oops:

In my experience, when I do make a good friend, it's always another misfit like me. The only people I can have repeated and extensive conversations with are others with unusual interests. All those people doing the 'fitting in' are stupid, shallow and extra - eeemly bo-ring. And it seems 'fitting in' always involves ME having to lower myself myself to THEIR level. Not only is it nerve-wracking to try to fit in with them, the rewards - well, there aren't any. Even when you think you're doing okay in that group, those people will turn on you and rip you to pieces or betray you in a heartbeat. Give me a fellow geek any day.

Or just leave me alone, that's okay too.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 3:20 pm

IamTheWalrus wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

I would prefer one scratched beatles record over 40 peerpressuredconformityfreaks

I'd take a fifth of Vodka over 40 dweebs and day :wink: :arrow:

spooky13
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2010, 6:49 pm

Willard wrote:

In my experience, when I do make a good friend, it's always another misfit like me. The only people I can have repeated and extensive conversations with are others with unusual interests. All those people doing the 'fitting in' are stupid, shallow and extra - eeemly bo-ring. And it seems 'fitting in' always involves ME having to lower myself myself to THEIR level. Not only is it nerve-wracking to try to fit in with them, the rewards - well, there aren't any. Even when you think you're doing okay in that group, those people will turn on you and rip you to pieces or betray you in a heartbeat. Give me a fellow geek any day.

Or just leave me alone, that's okay too.

I'm with you, Willard. :) If fitting in means tuning them out when they start babbling about the usual crap, the next "American Idol", etc, then I'm good to go! :P

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 7:25 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

Yes.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Cryforthemoon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2010, 9:06 pm

I can either be me and work with what I have and learn to deal with my problems as any asperger. Or I can say I'm asperger and try to live the rest of my life with a mask on and let the word rule my life.

At the age of 29 I'm not going to let the word win. Becauase that's what is. Yes I have aspergers. I'm part of a group of people who just well we just have a harder time fitting in. So I guess at the end of the day look at you're life. Look at ever thing you do enjoy. Are you going to let this word get the best of you?

I don't let the Dyslexia stop me what ever ADD I have I don't let that stop me. I'm not going to let aspergers or my anxiety stop me either. :D

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 9:30 pm

Boring.

It does surprise me their are aspies here in totally inappropriate jobs like retail, again and again the members say it's the worst job in the world for an aspie, why do it than guys? I'd much rather be on the dole than be stuck in those sorts of crappy unaspie friendly type jobs, just don't tell centrelink. :oops:

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 11:10 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I will not watch American Idol and I will not listen to Top 40.

Yes, fitting in at my old job was to be racist, sexist, and being mean just to hurt other people's feelings. It was like being in high school again. I was able to fit in by finding hard to find cellebity sex tapes, weird internet videoes, and just plan hard to get on the internet.

Hey, I bet you would watch American Idol if they did an episode dedicated to the music of the Kinks. :wink: