Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Are you doing something to celebrate Autistic Pride Day this year?
Poll ended at 18 Jun 2010, 9:35 am
I am organizing or attending a public event. 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
I am celebrating privately. 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
I would like to attend an event, but don't know of one near me, or don't have time. 43%  43%  [ 19 ]
I do not believe in celebrating autistic pride. 27%  27%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 44

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 3:49 pm

Incidentally, Autistic Pride Day is the same day Gay Pride starts in Portland.

BTW, I'm going to a museum with an ASAN group on 6/18.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 4:28 pm

I'm going to be myself and let myself bee seen.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 4:38 pm

Vanilla_Slice wrote:
OK, perhaps it's me, but what's to celebrate? You wouldn't think about having 'Bad Back Day' or 'Stammerer's Day' so why promote this particular disability?

Vanilla_Slice

there's disability pride day where I live.

spooky13
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2010, 6:55 pm

I want a grumpy disillusioned over 40 day! :D

Lyriel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2010, 8:33 pm

Autistic Pride Day happens to coincide with my birthday, so yeah, I guess I'll be celebrating... :P

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 8:43 pm

I didn't even know of an Autistic Pride Day until I read this thread. Coincidentally, June is also Gay Pride Month, and being both gay and an aspie, I suppose I have plenty to celebrate this month. :)

matt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 8:53 pm

Shouldn't it be "Autism Acceptance Day" rather than "Autism Pride Day"?

It doesn't make sense to be proud of something that's not an accomplishment.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 8:55 pm

I'll tell people I know, because I know the kids at school will ask why I know this, and I'll be able to talk about it. Here's to hoping it'll be well-received. :) I won't be celebrating, as such, though.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 11:26 am

Michael_Stuart wrote:
I'm not really a fan of "X Pride Day" events. So you're gay/autistic/etc.? That's nice, but it doesn't need a special day. How can the world accept you if you keep singling yourselves out?

The world won't accept us if you just pretend not to exist, but it helps if we raise real awareness it might help things.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 12:11 pm

Quote:
Not in the same sense you'd be proud of an accomplishment. There are two definitions of "pride" involved here; the "I did something cool" kind doesn't apply here. But, like gay pride, black pride, mad pride, and many others, this kind is about liking who you are and telling the world that you want to be taken on your own terms, not as some sort of inferior version of the norm.

Michael_Stuart wrote:
I'm not really a fan of "X Pride Day" events. So you're gay/autistic/etc.? That's nice, but it doesn't need a special day. How can the world accept you if you keep singling yourselves out?
Because differences exist, and the only way to accept them is to recognize and treasure them, rather than minimizing them.

If we are going to be accepted, we have got to show people that autism is not scary and not nearly foreign enough to be impossible to understand. Being unashamed of who we are is part of that. NTs are essentially wired to connect with other people; and only the most prejudiced of them don't take the opportunity when they see an opening to that sort of connection.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Sarafina7
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jun 2010, 4:00 am

ACI will mark the day with an event on Friday, June 18, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Amphi Park (Yitzhak(i) Garden) at the entrance to Mazkeret-Batya. The event will carry the character of a open picnic, and will offer a few activities - to participants who will be interested.
The Autistic Pride Day event will take place at the Amphi Park in Mazkeret-Batya: http://www.mazkeret-batya.muni.il/index.php?id=28 (also known as: Yitzhak(i) Garden).
Map: http://lnk.in/747j (Please wait until the map of the surrounding streets comes up).

Arrival by public transportation:
From the center of the country, it's recommended to go by train (or bus) to Rehovot, and from there take Bus Line 26 to Mazkeret-Batya. Bus Line 26, of Egged, leaves from the Train Station of Rehovot and ends at Mota Gur Square in Mazkeret-Batya (a short walking distance from Amphi Park).
On Fridays, buses from the line leave every 20 minute (approximately).
The line also stops at the Central Bus Station of Rehovot and at Bilu Junction .
The Bus ride from the Train Station of Rehovot to Mota Gur Square in Mazkeret-Batya takes about 45 minutes (because of the many stops on the way).
From Jerusalem: Bus Line 434, of Egged, leaves the Central Bus Station in Jerusalem and stops, among other place, at Mazkeret Batya intersection (a reasonable walking distance from Amphi Park). The line ends at Central Station in Rehovot.
On Fridays, the line leaves Jerusalem at 9:15, 10:30, and then every xx:30 until 16:30.

Event page on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=124513594248726&ref=mf

Link to thread on ACI forums about the event: http://www.acisrael.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1780

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 5:55 am

matt wrote:
Shouldn't it be "Autism Acceptance Day" rather than "Autism Pride Day"?

You could say the same thing about national pride, but lots of people have that.

I'm proud of who I am 8)

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:13 pm

spooky13 wrote:
I want a grumpy disillusioned over 40 day! :D

Yeah...that sounds good. Over 40 and falling apart appreciation day!

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 2:10 pm

I don't know if there are any local events, but I'll celebrate in my own way somehow.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2010, 1:30 pm

Sarafina7 wrote:
ACI will mark the day with an event on Friday, June 18, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Amphi Park (Yitzhak(i) Garden) at the entrance to Mazkeret-Batya. The event will carry the character of a open picnic, and will offer a few activities - to participants who will be interested.
Some of the planned activities are:
Exhibitions of autistic made art. Readings of autistic written essays and poems. Exhibitions of autistic special interests.
Explanations of autism from autistic perspectives. Discussions about the representation of autism in cinema and in literature.
Autistic games, such as blowing soap bubbles and wordplay riddles.

Everyone is welcome!

http://www.autscape.org/

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2010, 1:51 pm

Be yourself, on Autistic Pride Day, in 2010. 8)