does working out make people look younger?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

right-hand-child
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2010, 1:15 pm

one thing i've noticed in people that work out is that they all seem to look pretty young. not just working out, but being involved in a lot of physical activity. take for instance my grandmother (i dont mean working out for her -_-) usualy involves herself in a lot of exercise through her gardening; shes now 70 but most people think she's like 50.

a more famous example would be chuck norris (please no chuck norris facts here people)
he looks freaking 40, and how old is he now? like 70 -_-

anyone know this for real?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 1:21 pm

Yeah, if you exercise correctly, your body will remain youthful and youthful looking for longer.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 2:36 pm

Exercise and diet helps your cells stay in good shape and last longer. This in effect makes you look younger. Genetics does play a big role as well.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 3:01 pm

Peko wrote:
Exercise and diet helps your cells stay in good shape and last longer.

For one thing, the increased heart rate gets a higher level of oxygen circulating through your bloodstream, which keeps cells healthier.

Its generally accepted among health and nutrition professionals that regular strenuous exercise can keep your appearance ten to fifteen years more youthful than your peers who are more sedentary.

Provided of course that exercise does not involve being repeatedly punched in the face.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 3:40 pm

Yeah, there are forms of exercise that do the opposite. For instance, Muai Thai boxing can age you pretty fast.

Better stick with the non-face-punching exercise in long term, indeed.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 5:36 pm

I'm 34 and my sister thinks I look like I'm in my 20s. I can believe that exercise can make you look younger. If your muscles are in good shape, and you're not sagging with rolls of fat, you will look younger and the opposite will make you look older. During a health checkup someone commented that the coloring in my skin also looks nice, and this is because of good circulation. Also, I feel better when I do a lot of cardio work.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 5:02 am

Yes.

I'm 52 and most people reckon I look about 42 to 45.

And I'm not complaining about this. No sir.

Vanilla_Slice

conan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 5:08 am

i think overall most definitely. one small detractor is that generally the more calories you burn (ie. the faster your metabolism) the quicker you will age. this is based of studies with some macaques i think and overall is not that significant.

genetics, diet, mental wellbeing, so many things will help you preserve youthfull looks. i would say even you attitude and behaviour will persuade people you look younger when you may just be acting younger.

right-hand-child
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2010, 1:19 pm

well this was certainly very helpfull. will definitely be working out more now XD.
of course i always did like working out and i plan to do so well into my 60's (HARDCORE OLD MEN FTW :twisted: )

although my metabolism is through the roof at the moment so that may be why i look a little older than everyone else my age.

anyway thanks people, this really helped

Kat15
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 6:50 pm

Maybe. I dont pay much attention.

But I was watching the biggest loser finale a few weeks ago, and this one girl lost to MUCH weight and she looked horrible and older.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 7:01 pm

82 is the new 49 !

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 3:47 am

i have been mostly fit for most of my adult life, but i wouldn't say it makes me look younger, but i will say it makes me look a bit less elderly than i otherwise would look, i believe.