Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 8:02 am

After half a century of life driven basically by a belief in something larger than life, it evaporated. A year or so later, I ran into an aspergers diagnosis. Which, largely, confirmed the greater loss.

One thing people - aspie or not - have in common is the ability to believe what they want to believe.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 8:29 am

i really dont like the word "religious" that indicates a man-made rule system, i prefer the word faithful. I am a Christian, i attend a conservative fundamental Christian church, I believe that the Bible is the complete, unquestionable Word of God. Now before anyone says "well the bible was written by people" , yes, man picked up the pen, but God did the talking.

I have been attacked before for my extremely conservative views, especially on abortion and gay marriage, i believe that it is NEVER ok under ANY circumstances, but if you are more liberal than me, thats your right. i have stated my opinion and we'll leave it at that.

i will never apologize for my beliefs, im not ashamed of my faith or values, but i respect the rights of everyone else to believe what they want.

*steps off of soapbox*

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2010, 8:30 am

I'm a Christian but I never went to a church, my family reads the bible at home, without all of the choir etc you can actually understand the bible alot more because your not listening to someone else preach you're listening to yourself read it.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 8:42 am

Coldkick wrote:
I'm a Christian but I never went to a church, my family reads the bible at home, without all of the choir etc you can actually understand the bible alot more because your not listening to someone else preach you're listening to yourself read it.

I honestly tried reading the Bible for myself, but my comprehension issues made it kinda dull, like reading a history book, I like listening to my pastor speak, he explains the Bible is a way that i can understand and appreciate.

Our church is conservative but informal, the pastor doesnt even wear a tie, cutoffs are acceptable, many people dont even take their hats off, we sing contemporary Christian music. the pastor leads the worship band, we have electric guitars instead of a pipe organ,

i used to be catholic, it was such a downer, they always seem to be mourning over the death of Jesus, whereas, at Calvary Chapel we celebrate and rejoice the fact that Jesus broke the rusty shackles of death, we are no longer slaves to sin, we are free!

edit: click above on the words "calvary chapel" that leads to our homepage.

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 1:09 pm

I was raised to be religious but have kinda fallen away after I applied logic and reason, which made it not make sense.

I have a hard time believing anything without hard evidence. Evidence for religious experiences, etc is anecdotal and therefore unreliable. A lot of it can be explained by psychology. For instance, we are programmed to follow tribal leaders, which is why people blindly follow what "God" says (actually their minister or authors of the Bible), and why they have such an emotional attachment to someone they can't see. Merely the idea of a strong alpha male figure is enough to satisfy our primitive needs.

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 1:13 pm

Went to a catholic elementary school and currently going to a Lutheran college. So I know a lot about Christianity and religion, but I've never been a Christian or possessed any belief in the supernatural.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 3:08 pm

Peko wrote:
Are their any aspies/auties who are comfortable in and/or enjoy the church environment?
I like the singing, and if they play an organ I love that... and I like the smell and the shape and look of the building and stuff. But since I'm not religious, the people all seem a bit weird to me.
I feel like I'm wearing a disguise when I go into a church. A wolf in sheep's clothing maybe. Like when people look at me I become very aware of all the Richard Dawkins videos I've watched, lol.

Galt1957
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2010, 3:15 pm

No, I'm an atheist, but I went to Catholic school so I had to go to church every so often. I didn't hate church, but it always felt very awkward to be there.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 4:34 pm

Not me...

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 5:08 pm

I'm an atheist. I used to believe in god until I was 10, and then I started to question what my schools taught me and changed my mind. I was never particularly religious before then, just had a casual belief. My parents taught me about evolution and the big bang from an early age.
I don't like organised religion at all, I like paganism because it leans more towards nature than a separate deity and it doesn't have a strict set of rules. I don't like to have religion shoved down my throat, 2 years ago at a guides and boys brigade camp we had to attend a service every morning where some priest/pastor/whatever tells us basically that we should believe in jesus or else.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 5:22 pm

Nope, it's pure fantasy!

I consider religion to be a crock of s**t and have no understanding of why anyone would believe it.

Solanum
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jul 2010, 9:54 pm

Peko wrote:
Are their any aspies/auties who are comfortable in and/or enjoy the church environment?

Within the last year, I've joined the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. The Orthodox liturgy is long, but it's an involved sensory experience - ikons, incense, bells, choir. It's rather hypnotic, and more importantly, repetitive. The liturgy is essentially the same every Sunday except major feasts. I really enjoy it - it's comforting.

Less enjoyable is the social hour after liturgy. We have a full lunch, and I'm always uncomfortable in that sort of situation. Fortunately, our preist sort of "placed" me with some very chatty old ladies, so I don't have to supply too much conversation.

I was very nervous about attending at first. I've had major problems with social anxiety, so this was sort of a test of my new anti-anxiety meds. I decided on church because people are supposed to be nice to you in church.

I also like the idea that God and the saints will protect me - it sounds silly but it gives me more confidence.

tl;dr - I'm comfortable in church during liturgy, less so during the social hour afterwards, but everyone is nice to me