Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

10 Apr 2006, 2:34 am

Hey, I was wondering is the pagan/wicca/new age community represented here at all?

can we keep this thread positive and not a bashing thread also, 'cause I really dont want the hassel. thanks!!

midge
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2006, 6:34 am

After reading your question I had a hunch that perhaps my beliefs might fit in with new age spirituality and it prompted me too look further into it, and indeed they do. I actually didn't realize there was such a broad community of new agers out there, and it's comforting to know :) Though I am considering joining a Christian church (perhaps the UCC or UU) for the sense of community and because I think my beliefs can fit in well with many aspects of Christianity, and also because it speaks to me very personally-Jesus was someone who associated himself with and served many marginalized, weak, and oppressed members of society (I can relate to this as I've always been an outcast myself and know what it feels like, and I gravitate towards people in these situations and I feel very deep sympathy and empathy for them) and sought to comfort them, give them aid, and stop their oppression and encouraged others to do the same, and I think that is quite profound and would like to do the same. I like the idea of all religions/spiritual traditions being different paths along the common journey of contemplating the mysteries of life and the universe and what they mean to us, and I like to travel along many of those paths and take the insights gained from them with me, as they each have something to give :)

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2006, 9:32 pm

There's a little pagan in all of us. Celebrate Christmas or Easter? Guess what, you're a pagan. 8)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2006, 9:34 pm

666 wrote:
Celebrate Christmas or Easter? Guess what, you're a pagan. 8)

So can you be a pagan if you only pretend to celebrate Christmas 'cause it's an excuse for a vast dinner? :P

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2006, 9:40 pm

Tequila wrote:
So can you be a pagan if you only pretend to celebrate Christmas 'cause it's an excuse for a vast dinner? :P

Heh, I suppose. =p

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2006, 2:46 pm

Tequila wrote:
666 wrote:
Celebrate Christmas or Easter? Guess what, you're a pagan. 8)

Dec. 25 is the Roman Pagan holiday for winter solstice. Constatine the Great decided to celebrate the birth of Jesus on this day to supress paganisim. Most historians agree that Jesus (if he actually existed) was likely born in late spring or early summer.

The word easter comes from the pagan godess Eaoster. One of her exploits was turning a chicken into a rabbit (hence a bunny who brings eggs).

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2006, 2:49 pm

Ladysmokeater wrote:
Hey, I was wondering is the pagan/wicca/new age community represented here at all?

can we keep this thread positive and not a bashing thread also, 'cause I really dont want the hassel. thanks!!

I don't see christians as having a right to bash wicca a second time. They did it in te early dark ages and murdered millions of good people in the process. They still have'nt apologised or made repairations!! !

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

12 Apr 2006, 8:27 pm

all religions have a pagan root here or there... Personally I have no problem with getting in touch with my "pagan roots" .
I was asking about this here becausethere are so many different view points represented on this site, I was wondering if there was anyone out there that was a practicing "witch" or what have you. I am a christan, but I am very much intouch with many of the wiccan practices. I know that seems an oxymoron, and in a way it is, but I think its all in how one interprets things. I was asking about this on a wiccan/Pagan site and was bashed by all those there. It was as unwelcoming as having as one of my Christian peers tell me I was going to hell for reading tea leaves, casting runes, or preparing a "spell".

Anyhow, I just wanted to start a peaceful thread on Wiccan and pagan and even some other related topics for us aspies to chat about with out all the flaming and such.

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2006, 1:15 am

Ladysmokeater wrote:
I was asking about this on a wiccan/Pagan site and was bashed by all those there.

In general, when Wiccans aren't complaining about the animosity Christians show toward other religions, they're stomping on a Christian's dogmatic toes for the mere fact that he/she worships a different god. So yeah, they've got that hypocritial streak to them.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2006, 9:24 pm

:D Yoo hoo! I probably fit into the pagan category.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2006, 6:25 pm

Ladysmokeater wrote:

conflict is a part of life. it is the part that reminds us we're a live. you don't ask for a blowjob when you wanna know if you're dreaming or not...you ask for a pinch or a slap in the face or something. not trying to do the whole goth-kid life is pain thing....but really, pain is something that assures us we're alive. a strange sort of twisted thing....get a little closer to death to know that you're alive.

but yeah, hassel....pain....annoyance....all good stuff.

and that's enough for me with an interruption. continue on, hippies.

Aeriel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2006, 7:09 am

Well, I came out 100% Neo-Pagan on this test:

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

How can you not take something called The Belief-O-Matic?

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2006, 7:23 am

Hippy beatniks come togethe

Minerva
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2006, 10:29 pm

Aeriel wrote:
I don't see christians as having a right to bash wicca a second time. They did it in te early dark ages and murdered millions of good people in the process. They still have'nt apologised or made repairations!! !

That would be due to the fact that Wicca didn't exist until around the 1950s, and most of the amount of people prosecuted during the so-called burning times were not in the millions, and nearly all of them were in fact Christians. Anyone interested in the subject of witch persecutions should read this article-

http://www.crisismagazine.com/october2001/feature1.htm

While it does have a Catholic bias, it is much more historicly correct than most of Wiccan related sites online.

Minerva
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2006, 11:24 pm

666 wrote:
Ladysmokeater wrote:
I was asking about this on a wiccan/Pagan site and was bashed by all those there.

In general, when Wiccans aren't complaining about the animosity Christians show toward other religions, they're stomping on a Christian's dogmatic toes for the mere fact that he/she worships a different god. So yeah, they've got that hypocritial streak to them.

While there are some Christians out there that have problems with other people's differing religions, most of the ones I have known have been pretty tolerant. You are making generalizations that are uncalled for, since most Christians do not follow the fundamentalist line (granted, I can see how one can get that impression if they live in a highly conservative area...). I was thinking of posting a long rant about this, but instead I'll post an obligatory link to the now defunct WhyWiccansSuck website, as I need to leave soon.

(And should anyone feel the need to ask, no, I'm not Christian. I don't even know how I can spiritually define myself right now. But I'm tired of the bashing of others of whatever groups when it not warranted, regardless of religios persuasion. Unless we're talking about Scientology :P ).

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2006, 12:27 am

Minerva wrote:
But I'm tired of the bashing of others of whatever groups when it not warranted, regardless of religios persuasion. Unless we're talking about Scientology :P ).

Bashing scientologists isn't warranted? :P