One World Religion Will Solve All The World's Problems

Page 5 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2019, 3:38 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
It's a fallacy. Where are Catholics and Protestants fighting in the world today, or at any time in the past generation?

The IRA? Pretty quiet today, but not in the past generation.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2019, 3:42 pm

Antrax wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
It's a fallacy. Where are Catholics and Protestants fighting in the world today, or at any time in the past generation?

The IRA? Pretty quiet today, but not in the past generation.

Did you read the rest of the post?

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2019, 3:16 am

mjs82 wrote:
today that if there was only one religion then there would be no conflict in the world

I used to say similar things when I was in my edgy teenage atheist stage, naturally I never bothered to check that kind of statement. It's totally untrue that most conflict in the world, historical or present, is caused by religion. It's pretty rare. What was the Iraq war about? The continued hegemony of the United States? Oil and money? Bringing freedom and democracy to Iraq? Only ISIS nutters and smarmy atheists would consider believing it was just about Christians killing Muslims for the religio-lulz, though that is how both of them have decided to interpret many historical wars for their own agendas.

While conflicts are always multifaceted things, the vast majority boil down to simple contests over power and access to resources between different familial, tribal, ethnic or political groupings. One religion or no religion would not prevent conflict. What it might change is the badges worn by those groupings, the propaganda and the rules of engagement.

The South Park guys seem to agree, in their typically silly way.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2019, 3:53 am

the father of lies [you know who :twisted: :skull: ] would agree with the one-religion thing.