Question about AS guys and their need for space.

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

right-hand-child
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2010, 4:39 am

poppyx wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't saying "break up with him"

I was responding to the poster above.

I've dated on and off, an aspie, for years, because my own fathering was absent at best, and I actually prefer the emotional distance in an AS relationship. (It's just like Dad, only not mean.)

She just needs to know what she's getting into. If she's more functional than I am, this is not the relationship for her.

It's not like the relationship is getting better--this is the honeymoon phase. It gets worse from here on out.

ah, sorry if that offended you in that case, that wasnt the intention. still, unless any relationship is completely hopeless (this doesnt seem like it) i try to make it work until the end, or until i know its the end. it was more like the list that annoyed me; it seems to say these problems will happen 100% of the time, and for most AS cases a lot of things on that list just aren't true. the problem with that list is that i dont think any woman would want to be in a relationship where all/any of those things are true after reading it. even if they can be a problem with AS males, and even if the book is just writen to help, i think it will just damage the credibility that AS males can be in a relationship.

got a bit carried away on that last post, sorry

right-hand-child
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2010, 4:57 am

mirabell wrote:
I have to say, this does seem to be true. I can't tell you have many times my friends have told me to forget about him, leave him, and move on. They think I'm crazy for wanting to stay with him, and they really don't understand. From an outside perspective- some of the things he does make him seem like a jerk- but I know that he does not do them to be mean, or out of place of malice within him. They don't understand what I experience and what I see. I see so much good, enough that I want to make this work.

well, i can understand where your freinds are coming from, its only natural that they'd think that if they don't understand AS (not many people do, ofentimes even people with high up qualifications have no idea what AS means to being a person and are liable to these misunderstandings)

however i think you're right about what you said (just a geuss, im not a psychic); he doesnt just do this out of malice. he is being unreasonable, but its not like this is an impossible relationship, or even an impossible problem. its a good idea not to overload him with questions, but you still should be open with your questions rather than bottling them up. im not completely sure but maybe he would be okay with you asking a streight-forward question like "do you still like me". the concept of being able to just be up-front about things like this may seem confusing, but with AS asking and answering questions like this is normal. i have been in many situations where i have been thinking "why does everyone even bother with these roundabout ways of asking questions, why can everyone be more up-front?".

although its right that a healthy relationship doesnt involve you making too much effort, you have to let him make a little effort for you as well for the benifit of the relationship.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Jun 2010, 6:38 am

poppyx wrote:
There is a book, called, "22 Things a Woman Should Know if She Loves a Man That Has Asperger Syndrome."

So here you go, in a top ten version:

1.) There will be loneliness.

2.) Labels and Romantic Expectations Make Him Feel Nervous

3.) He Will Take You and the Relationship for Granted

4.) Communication Will Always Be a Challenge

5.) Your Man May Not Be There for You in a Crisis

6.) He May Get Depressed or Be Completely Inert for Long Periods of Time

7.) You Must Have a Good Social Network (so that you can get your needs met outside of the relationship)

8.) You will Never Change Him, Even If You Can Succeed in Getting Him to Change His Behavior

9.) Even if He Loves You and Values the Relationship, You May Never Get a Commitment.

10.) Many AS/NT Relationships Go Through Various Metamorphoses (friend/not friend/dating/not friend/friend, etc.)

Unless you want to do this for the long haul, you should not date a man with AS, unless you have reason to think he will marry you and stay married, despite all of the above, and you're the sort of person for whom romantic relationships aren't all that important in the first place.

On the flip side, if what you're looking for in a relationship is distance and space, an AS relationship will give you that.

This list really rubs me the wrong way. Based on this info I would boycott that book. It makes Aspies sound like cold heartless jerks. I unofficially have AS(mom suspected sense I was a toddler but been diagnosed with everything except that) & when I was in a relationship years ago; I was NOT like that. If anything I was the opposite of that list; she was the one who kept wanting space & distance. I know you wer trying to be helpful but I think that would give NTs the wrong impression about AS

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

poppyx
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2010, 9:19 am

To be fair, it depends on the aspie.

However, that's my experience with aspies.

I would be really curious to know why you're who you are, and why they are what they are.

Also, you might want to consider that what you think you are like in a relationship, and what you are actually like, are two different things.

That book was written by an aspie who has studied NT/AS, AS/AS relationships for ten years.

The aspie I know has only some idea that he is like that--and then he goes on to the next girl because he works in a target-rich environment. He just thinks, 21 people later, that he's "never found the right girl.'

right-hand-child
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jun 2010, 3:04 pm

poppyx wrote:
To be fair, it depends on the aspie.

However, that's my experience with aspies.

I would be really curious to know why you're who you are, and why they are what they are.

Also, you might want to consider that what you think you are like in a relationship, and what you are actually like, are two different things.

That book was written by an aspie who has studied NT/AS, AS/AS relationships for ten years.

The aspie I know has only some idea that he is like that--and then he goes on to the next girl because he works in a target-rich environment. He just thinks, 21 people later, that he's "never found the right girl.'

regardless of it being a problem with a lot of AS males, AS can be very mild, so mild to the point where it never really affects you that much.

sorry about making another outburst, but i'll get to the point. i've never acctualy had a girlfreind before, but that doesnt mean my advice is invalid, and anyway, if i ever did have a girlfreind i would put her first no matter what, i dont need space from other people, much less a girlfreind; in fact i would probably do the opposite, and even then i'd always want to know what she thinks about how i act in a relationship because of my AS. the only thing i can think of on that list that i would ever be accounted for would be communication, and thats an issue with nearly all people with AS, not just males.

ive said this before, and i know you arent being malecious, but frankly ive had a truckload of trouble just trying to get into a relationship, it is really difficult for the male to make the first move, im not expecting that the world owes me a relationship just because ive had a hard time, but personaly, i find it a bit of a slap in the face when i hear someone trying to justify a list of things that say in a watered down way "you want to be in a relationship with an AS male? sure you can, but he probably wont commit to you, and you'll be lonely all the time. really you're doing this worthless, pathetic, counterfit spouse of yours a HUGE favor by even talking to him"

regardless of who made that list, its just NOT true, and it's just going to give the wrong image of AS males.

okay i geuss youve had personal experience, and after reading this book, i can understand why you'd agree with it if you knew someone like that, but the fact of the matter is, those problems listed are not true in all cases, not just in males but in all people with AS, the symptoms can vary considerably, and the author of that book doesnt seem to realise that.

sorry i turned this thread into an argument, but i cant accept that list. anyway if you wanna continue this lets just PM each other about it.

poppyx
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2010, 3:15 pm

No argument needed here.

I'm just glad that you're not all like that!

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 5:34 am

Under those circumstances, even an NT would have a hard time IMO.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2010, 9:28 pm

poppyx wrote:

It's not to say that aspie guys can't be in a relationship, but unless you have an AS guy who realizes that he's darn lucky to be in ANY relationship, and therefore, he shouldn't act according to his own whims, AS or not....

luckily i'm one of those :jester: