Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TiredGeek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2010, 2:30 pm

I watched some episodes of the current tv show Merlin. Are they trying to make some sort of point about Aspergers with this show? I don't think I've ever seen a more blatantly stereotypical aspie character portrayal than kid Merlin.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 2:45 pm

I've seen that show and I'd say just the opposite. He's very socially aware but every episode he has to play dumb and act like he doesn't know what's going on to cover up some magical happenings from the king. On a related note, that show could really use some different storylines.

TiredGeek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2010, 3:43 pm

Obres wrote:
I've seen that show and I'd say just the opposite. He's very socially aware but every episode he has to play dumb and act like he doesn't know what's going on to cover up some magical happenings from the king. On a related note, that show could really use some different storylines.

But usually he's a terrible liar, naive for his age, and always making mistakes of a social nature. The other characters were often pointing out how he's shifty and must be hiding something, even when he's not. I saw mainly early episodes though, so I don't know how much it's changed. And anyway I don't mean to say realistic aspie portrayal, rather a stereotypical one from an NT perspective. No, of course in real life an aspie wouldn't be able to cover things up *at all*, but Merlin is magical after all and has to live til the next episode somehow. :lol:

alex
Developer
Developer

05 Jun 2010, 3:51 pm

TiredGeek wrote:
Obres wrote:

But usually he's a terrible liar, naive for his age, and always making mistakes of a social nature. The other characters were often pointing out how he's shifty and must be hiding something, even when he's not. I saw mainly early episodes though, so I don't know how much it's changed. And anyway I don't mean to say realistic aspie portrayal, rather a stereotypical one from an NT perspective. No, of course in real life an aspie wouldn't be able to cover things up *at all*, but Merlin is magical after all and has to live til the next episode somehow. :lol:

agreed 8) :bigsmurf:

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2010, 10:00 pm

I thought that Mordred was the autistic character. He doesn't say much but his scream was enough to kill people and was like some kind of meltdown. In my mind I think of the Druids as an allegory for an Asperger's society.