Living Independently After 8 Years In a Residence

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2010, 7:34 pm

I just moved into my own apartment with no staff assistance needed. I am very happy. After years of inappropriate residential services and "watching after", I am finally out. I am actually doing much better on my own that I did living there, not just emotionally, but independence wise, as well. The only service I had in the residence that I was in was people watching me and "controlling" me. I always paid rent and everything else independently. For a whole year, I have been taking the bus and have been 100% independent while awaiting for this apartment, though I still had to report where I was and people "kept track" of me. Now, I went out without telling anyone and felt great. I even have some very nice neighbors and people in the building that had helped me and my family with the move. Money wise, it is more cheaper with the rent, utilities included. I only pay for the digital cable, internet, and phone. Yet, With all of those combined, it is about $200 cheaper than living in the residence, where they took all of my money, where I was only given $80 allowance($30 for clothing and $50 for personal stuff). I even have almost $300 left for an allowance. I even get food stamps, which is more than enough. I even enjoyed not having people come in and bother me. It was like a peaceful vacation, except it is everyday. I am going to love it. This is worth all of the hard work That I had worked hard for. I just want to let everyone, especially if you or someone you know, are going to live independently that it is a great feeling and sense of pride, independence, and of course, enjoyment. Good luck to all of you in your journeys. I did it and love it and so can you. Good luck to all.

alex
Developer
Developer

05 Jun 2010, 7:45 pm

congrats on getting out! that's awesome. . . :king:

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 7:50 pm

That's great news; having your own territory is so important.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 8:01 pm

I've been living on my own, for 3 and a half years, and I love it. :D

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 8:19 pm

That's wonderful! I think one of my kids might end up needing help to live alone but we are working hard to find a way around it. If he does I hope it's not in a residence, at least not long term in a residence. I think what he'll need is more someone to come by everyday and make sure he got his pills right, like a visiting nurse, not someone to tell him what to wear or spend his time and money. That must be very frustrating.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 9:00 pm

That's terrific news, Psygirl6! Congratulations on being able to take more control over your life. It's a great feeling, isn't it?

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2010, 9:48 pm

Kiley wrote:
That's wonderful! I think one of my kids might end up needing help to live alone but we are working hard to find a way around it. If he does I hope it's not in a residence, at least not long term in a residence. I think what he'll need is more someone to come by everyday and make sure he got his pills right, like a visiting nurse, not someone to tell him what to wear or spend his time and money. That must be very frustrating.

I believe they do have that stuff. I am not sure if it a visiting nurse, though. In my state, as I was just told, they have agencies where the client only has staff just to check-in where they can live completely on their own not in a residence, where the staff may come in for only an hour a day just to make sure things are okay. They may even come just to take the person out in the community for a couple of hours, or to have someone they could talk too, and just to check-in. They supposedly do not have set hours, basically whatever the person may need. This was an option that was approached to me when my state social worker found out that I was moving, but since I take the bus independently, plus, I have school friends and do things completely on my own, my mom and I feel that it was not necessary.

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2010, 9:52 pm

Thanks everyone for the wishes and congrats. I am so happy and at peace. I feel that this big huge weight has lifted off my shoulder. I also no longer feel as if I am tied down, plus, I have taken away 80% of the stress in my life. My stresses are mostly related to other people's intentions and especially "control" of me. But now, I only have to worry about school, which is easy when I get the hang of things, which is right away. I am so relaxed that I feel like I am walking on air. I think the last time I was this relaxed was when I was an infant sleeping,lol. I am so happy and I really believe that everyone deserves a chance at independence. It is the best feeling in the world.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 10:09 pm

I'm glad it's worked out so well for you! I've always lived with my parents, and I'll be moving out in the next month or so into my own place. I'll have staff come in. I hope I do as well as you've done!

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 5:26 am

Congratulations! I am happy for you.

Taking a break.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 5:38 am

Congratulations. Hope it all works out for you.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 7:45 am

NICE JOB! im glad that u got out too and im sure u enjoy living your own :) party time! :D

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 10:51 am

Heck no! If you foist a party on the OP, likely enough s/he will hate you for quite a long time. Or at least, I would. Parties are like some kind of Aspie repellent.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 7:40 pm

Callista wrote:
Heck no! If you foist a party on the OP, likely enough s/he will hate you for quite a long time. Or at least, I would. Parties are like some kind of Aspie repellent.

And a thousand times worse when the party is happening in your own living space.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 8:20 pm

Congratulations.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 9:51 pm

Psygirl6 wrote:
Yet, With all of those combined, it is about $200 cheaper than living in the residence, where they took all of my money, where I was only given $80 allowance($30 for clothing and $50 for personal stuff). I even have almost $300 left for an allowance. I even get food stamps, which is more than enough. I even enjoyed not having people come in and bother me. It was like a peaceful vacation, except it is everyday. I am going to love it. This is worth all of the hard work That I had worked hard for. I just want to let everyone, especially if you or someone you know, are going to live independently that it is a great feeling and sense of pride, independence, and of course, enjoyment. Good luck to all of you in your journeys. I did it and love it and so can you. Good luck to all.

Talk to a lawyer. The residence may have kept thousands of dollars worth of allowance that they never gave you. The way I calculate it they might possibly owe you more than $21,000 worth of "allowance" that is really your money they held on to.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud