Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 2:55 pm

Aimless wrote:
That actually explains how I feel very well, marshall. I of course know I exist but I never felt like I was significant in anyway. There was always a disconnect between my "self" and my environment, like I'm a ghost in a machine or I'm trapped under glass. My concept of myself was as a bother or an afterthought from the very beginning. I have a hard time asking for attention and when I ask for it and don't get it I feel a deep seated anger and resentment. Knowing that doesn't make the feeling go away, but at least it keeps me from dumping on people unfairly. At least I try. Anyway, because of this sometimes I feel ephemeral and insubstantial. Maybe that's why I like to eat so much. :?

I'd think the fact that you ask for attention and feel angry when you don't get it implies that you do have a sense of self. I mean that anger isn't just lashing out due to a sense of your needs not being immediately met like it would be for a 2 year old. It's more a sense of personal injury at the fact that people are unaware of your existence or might not care. A self has to exist for it to feel that kind of injury. I don't think a 2 year old is capable of having this kind of existential injury because their sense of self isn't developed enough. I think for me it wasn't until near puberty where I really could have felt this way. Of course even now it's kind of a subconscious thing for me, like I don't even realize that I have a sense of self until something causes it to feel injured.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 3:35 pm

marshall wrote:
Aimless wrote:
That actually explains how I feel very well, marshall. I of course know I exist but I never felt like I was significant in anyway. There was always a disconnect between my "self" and my environment, like I'm a ghost in a machine or I'm trapped under glass. My concept of myself was as a bother or an afterthought from the very beginning. I have a hard time asking for attention and when I ask for it and don't get it I feel a deep seated anger and resentment. Knowing that doesn't make the feeling go away, but at least it keeps me from dumping on people unfairly. At least I try. Anyway, because of this sometimes I feel ephemeral and insubstantial. Maybe that's why I like to eat so much. :?

I'd think the fact that you ask for attention and feel angry when you don't get it implies that you do have a sense of self. I mean that anger isn't just lashing out due to a sense of your needs not being immediately met like it would be for a 2 year old. It's more a sense of personal injury at the fact that people are unaware of your existence or might not care. A self has to exist for it to feel that kind of injury. I don't think a 2 year old is capable of having this kind of existential injury because their sense of self isn't developed enough. I think for me it wasn't until near puberty where I really could have felt this way. Of course even now it's kind of a subconscious thing for me, like I don't even realize that I have a sense of self until something causes it to feel injured.

Yes, but I'm not saying I don't think I have a sense of self; only that it's incomplete or damaged.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 4:10 pm

Kiley wrote:

Quote:
That's interesting. I'd thought you were younger, not that it matters...

I'm not surprised, I've never had that comfortable sense of self autonomy that a well adjusted adult has. There was a thread a while back asking about this and a lot of people here felt childlike in a way. I've never been able to accomplish the usual things like real job, marriage,buying a new car or a house. I live like someone not long out of school.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 4:24 pm

My mom says that when i was little that when other people would wave to me, i'd wave at myself too instead of waving back at the person.. lol. I would think that was probably some kind of sense of self or theory of mind issue.
I feel like my "self" is sort of blank sometimes and that i have to kind of create the "self" that communicates with the rest of the world from parts made up of my interests or whatever. Hard to explain it.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 4:45 pm

Aimless wrote:
Yes, but I'm not saying I don't think I have a sense of self; only that it's incomplete or damaged.

Yea, sorry.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 5:51 pm

marshall wrote:
Aimless wrote:

Yea, sorry.

That's OK :) I'm having a hard time articulating exactly what I mean. Your first comment really hit the nail on the head though about the two definitions of self. The second definition is probably the one I feel is insubstantial and perhaps the first is the only one that feels legitimate. It's a depersonalization thing I think.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 9:49 pm

eon wrote:
I agree with the idea of the self as the "object" that is experiencing sensory feedback. I sometimes abstract out so far as to view my body as "me".

I read in the complete guide to asperger's syndrome that due to Theory of Mind impairments it was quite common in Attwood's clinical experience to see that the diagnosed had developed a highly abstract & philosophical sense of self.

Im not sure that this was common, though maybe common enough to be mentioned.

Even at around age 5, I was acutely aware of an ethereal self existence, as a machine with an intelligence governing this ' object'. My thinking was removed from the everyday experiences. Far different than any of my peers.

The challenge has been with the "sense of the other" as it took me a long time to understand how others think , due to "a theory of what the other mind is" deficit , as I didnt have a comparable model (me) to model someone else with.

In this sense Ive been an outsider except for a few neurodiverse people have met, and could never "even feel remotely connected to another human" and would usually feel uncomfortable around people, enough to be phobic about it.

My "sense of self" is on the order of being a trans human.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2010, 10:00 pm

ColdBlooded wrote:
My mom says that when i was little that when other people would wave to me, i'd wave at myself too instead of waving back at the person.. lol. I would think that was probably some kind of sense of self or theory of mind issue.
I feel like my "self" is sort of blank sometimes and that i have to kind of create the "self" that communicates with the rest of the world from parts made up of my interests or whatever. Hard to explain it.

That's actually very typical, and adorable. Maybe something else was going on with you, but little guys just starting to wave often wave first at themselves.

Aimless,

I think women of your generation were groomed to think of themselves as a bother. What your feeling may be at least in part cultural.

My family was/is very weird that way. My grandmother attended college in the early years of the last century, and dit it twice as fast, twice as well and at a younger age than the guys. Uppity women run in the family.