Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

autisticon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2006, 9:24 am

So having a girlfriend for the first time has been posing a few problems for me, mainly having to do with not knowing what is expected, or what is too much/too little in these situations.

The first obsticle was valentines day, where I chose to act like it didnt happen. Somehow I managed to get away with that and not get dumped. But now her birthday is quickly approaching and I'm stumped on what to do.

I wouldnt have a clue on what to get her as a gift... I cant even figure that out for my own mom or sisters. So right now I'm thinking either taking her out for dinner or making her dinner... plus maybe some flowers? I guess I should probably get her a card too - guys could really care less about a card but from what I gather girls are quite the opposite.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2006, 9:34 am

Yeah, I think taking her out to eat is probably your best option. As for the card and flowers, nice ideas too - I've had friends who even sat there with construction paper and did it 1st grade style, just make sure that the card is nothing *too* flowery.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2006, 10:07 am

I think dinner is usually a pretty good idea. As for the other stuff - unless you have noticed something specific about her - safe things are flowers, jewelry, cute little stuffed animal. Regardless if she likes them or not she won't think you are weird if you get those things for her.

autisticon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2006, 10:36 am

She doesnt seem to be much of a jewelry person.... besides I think its a bit too early in the relationship for that kinda stuff.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2006, 1:33 pm

autisticon wrote:
She doesnt seem to be much of a jewelry person.... besides I think its a bit too early in the relationship for that kinda stuff.

Jewelry is a tricky one - defintely can send the wrong signals if you jump ahead on that one. Personally I don't wear any jewelry because I find it irritating (even my wedding ring). So that has caused some contention in the past with my husband (NT) who doesn't understand that. It took him a few YEARS to realize that when I said I didn't want jewelry but very practical gifts I really meant it. If she doesn't seem like a jewelry person than I would avoid it definetely.

autisticon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2006, 3:32 pm

Well I've been racking my brain on this all day... and even did some browsing the net for ideas. I've decided instead of taking her out for dinner I am going to make her dinner and then watching a movie. I think she'll really appreciate this because she's a vegan (and I'm quite the opposite). I'm quite the cook, but I cant say I've ever made a meal that didnt involve meat. So I've been scouring the net for some sort of recipe that both of us would enjoy - and I might have to do a trial run tonight to see how it turns out.

I also read an idea that I really liked, make a CD with the #1 hit on her birthday from each year since she was born. I've already done the research and found out all of the songs. Doesnt look like her typical music but I think it's a really cool idea.

Other than that... some flowers for the center of the table, which I can send her home with at the end of the night.

Ugh... after 20+ years of being single, I'm starting to think I was better off that way - it's much easier! I'm already fearing Xmas (not just the gift buying, but also introducing her to the family).