My first job interview!! !! !! !!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 1:33 pm

next Tuesday i have my first job interview i m so excited its for summer respite program for kids with autism Im so excited I have a job coach who spoke to them but im not quite sure how much they know about my disability obviously because its through a program they know a little that i obviously have one but im not sure how much they know.
its for a volunteer job so im not going to be paid but still its exciting its gonna be great and it will give me experience and also it will help decide in the long run if i really want to end up working with special needs kids

does anyone have any general interview advice though

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 2:23 pm

In general, esp since it's working with special-needs persons and you having differences can therefore play to strength (maybe with just a little bit of coaching), is to light-medium disclose at the beginning, and then medium-medium disclose if the person can ping-pong it back and forth and actually engage in a positive conversation. Don't go way in and over-disclose as if it's some kind of insta-friendship. it isn't.

for example, if it were me, I might say:

'You know, I share some of the traits of Asperger's Syndrome . . . ' [that's under-disclosing]

' . . . never formally diagnosed, but do share some of the traits . . . '

' . . . and I think it might help me see where some of these kids are coming from . . . '

----------------------

Gradulations! Good luck, and enjoy the process.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 2:34 pm

Also, can your job coach be there but you do most of the talking?