Can one copy iTunes library from iPod TO iTunes?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 9:04 am

Quick technical question --

My daughter lost all of her songs on her iTunes computer library. She has the songs currently on her iPod, and wants to know if it is possible somehow to take her songs from her iPod and put them BACK into an iTunes library on her computer. Apparently while in college this year, somehow her iTunes library on her computer got completely wiped out.

Now, realize that I'm the Mom, and not that computer literate, and she's not much better than I am. We've asked multiple friends, and tried to check iTunes online for information on this subject, and have not been able to get answers.

Also, she is not using her iPod because it's not charged -- and it's not charged because she is afraid that if she tries to connect it to OUR iTunes library (on our computer) all of her music will be lost.

I figure someone out there will DEFINITELY have an answer, or at least an opinion, on this subject! Thanks in advance!

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 10:47 am

i'll be honest, no. i've never been able to do it. she needs to just build up her library again.

also does she have it where the ipod automatically syncs to the library when she plugs it in?

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

cthulukitty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2010, 10:48 am

I don't own an iPod, but I don't think that plugging it into your computer should result in it automatically losing all its songs. You may want to dig around in the iTunes settings though to make sure that it is not set to automatically sync.

There is a free program for Mac called Senuti (iTunes spelled backwards) that allows you to import songs from an iPod. I do not know offhand what the equivalent program is for a PC, but I'm sure at least one good one must exist.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 10:56 am

Just did a quick Google and found this: http://www.ipodpctransfer.com/

If you have a Mac, use Senuti as suggested. I used it my Mac when my old one had a hard drive failure and I didn't make backups.

Last edited by Asp-Z on 09 Jun 2010, 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

jat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2010, 10:57 am

As cthulukitty pointed out, how you deal with this depends on whether you have a Mac or a PC. It's easier on a Mac, but doable on a PC. I've never had to deal with it myself, but I know others who have, successfully.

As far as charging the iPod goes, if you aren't charging on the same computer that the iPod is syncing with, there shouldn't be a problem of losing the music, since the computer shouldn't sync a "strange" iPod. A wall charger would be another option. Changing the settings on the computer, as cthulukitty suggested, would also prevent a problem with losing the music.

If you have a PC, you will have to buy a program to restore the music from the iPod to the computer. There are sites where you can get suggestions about what programs to use, and some computer stores will have personnel who are well informed on stuff like this. You will want to read the reviews of any program you buy, before you buy it, so you have a sense of the ease of use and the quality of the program.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 11:38 am

The trick is when you install iTunes, first make sure that the iPod DOES NOT automatically sync. Otherwise you will lose the music. Next, once the iPod is plugged in, under options for the device, there is an option that says "Enable Disk Use". Click that option and then you can move the files from the iPod to a temp directory on your hard drive as if the iPod were a USB drive. Stop and disconnect the iPod using the Windows stop method once the files are xfered, import library from the temp files, and then uncheck "Enable Disk Use" and automatically sync the iPod again and you should be set.

If you Googled the term, you would have found something to that effect.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 11:40 am

demeus wrote:
The trick is when you install iTunes, first make sure that the iPod DOES NOT automatically sync. Otherwise you will lose the music. Next, once the iPod is plugged in, under options for the device, there is an option that says "Enable Disk Use". Click that option and then you can move the files from the iPod to a temp directory on your hard drive as if the iPod were a USB drive. Stop and disconnect the iPod using the Windows stop method once the files are xfered, import library from the temp files, and then uncheck "Enable Disk Use" and automatically sync the iPod again and you should be set.

That will NOT work, the music does not show up if you open the iPod in a normal file manager in disk mode.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 1:00 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
demeus wrote:

That will NOT work, the music does not show up if you open the iPod in a normal file manager in disk mode.

There are several different models of iPod and they don't all function exactly the same way - Apple has a rather extensive library of troubleshooting information on the iPod site

But Asp-Z is right about allowing the iPod to automatically sync with a blank iTunes program - syncing causes the device to match itself to whatever is in the iTunes library - if that's NOTHING, then that's what you'll end up with on the iPod.

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2010, 1:18 pm

What you gotta do is go into Folder Options and enable hidden files. Then go to My Computer, then your iPod drive, then iPod_Control or some other folder there (I don't have my iPod on me right now). When you find folders with F and a number next to it, that's all your music. Copy and paste to wherever you want it, then your good to go. I've done this many times.

unifex
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jul 2010, 9:09 pm

Hi all,

New around these parts :)

I use an app called 'IPod Access for Windows' - can tear down the contents of an iPod regardless of if it's authorised to your PC. Should be able to do the same method as the 'disk access' method above, just using iPod Access as the method to pull the files down instead of browsing the contents of the drive.

- Ryan

yangyang
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Apr 2011, 3:35 am

I often visit Youtube to watch videos and sometimes I download videos from Youtube to put on my iPod. Youtube videos are in FLV formats, so I use a free online FLV converter to do the conversion.

I have a huge collection of DVD movies and video files and I believe that many people have the same situation with me. DVD is VOB. Files.But iPod touch can only support MP4 format. iTunes cannot rip DVD?s as we know, I use iCoolsoft DVD to iPod Converter for Mac to do this task. It is not free but worked fairly well.

Quote:
icoolsoft iPod transfer is a must-have tool for all iPod users. It can not only transfer video, audio and photo files from computer to iPod, but also copy iPod videos, songs, pictures back to PC. This iPod Transfer supports all iPod models and other Apple devices. And video/audio converting functions are also provided.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 3:38 am

Holy spam infested thread resurrection, Batman!

robin45
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2011, 2:34 pm

I have had this problem several times. I was unable to open the itunes icon. A simple solution to this is to just go to the itunes website and reload itunes. This program gets its knickers in a twist easily especially if you get a virus or turn you computer of during an update.

Cpqtippee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 May 2015, 2:14 am

Email is my favourite method of transferring ios data from my Mac or PC. Really help me more . In my opinion this method is the simplest and probably the quickest way of doing transfer ipod music .
Others way you can use some ipod backup app to achievev it !

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 12:02 pm

Classic iPods have no official way of transferring music to iTunes.

iOS devices can due to the fact you can buy music straight to your device.

If the items in question are bought from iTunes, just log into iTunes on said account and download them to the computer.

devin12
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 May 2015, 1:19 pm

I think you may be able to solve it by plugging the iPod into the computer. It will ask you if you want the iPod to be synced to the computer. If you say "yes" it should allow the songs to be reloaded onto the computer. I'm not completely sure about this but I'm pretty sure because I've put my iPod onto different computer accounts which don't have the songs and it will ask me if I want to re-sync the iPod to that iTunes account. Just by answering "yes" I think it will put the songs on there. You could try it. I don't think anything will go wrong. There's nothing to lose since the songs are already off of there. You might be able to get them to go back on there by doing this. Actually if you are unsure you could call Apple support or your nearest Apple store and they could probably tell you the easiest way to get it done.