Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

xSuPeRxCeJaYx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jun 2010, 12:34 pm

I just recently got seriously interested in comic books again. But I want something that doesn't shove a "super hero" down my throat.
I read Super Hero comics when I was a kid. But feel as if I grew out of them now. I am looking for NON-Superhero Comic Books.
Slasher, Horror ,ZOMBIES!! !! , and POST APOCALYPTIC. Those last to are my favz. Any Ideas?

PS
Already reading 28 days later (and the aftermath)

Thank you for Ur Suggestions [b]

Steam : http://steamcommunity.com/id/supercejay/
Xbox Live: Mz CeJaY 420
PS3 : Mz_CeJaY_420

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jun 2010, 12:52 pm

I don't read the series, as I am waiting for the televised version but I hear that people enjoy:
The Walking Dead comic series.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 3:22 pm

Maybe Alan Moore´s "Saga of the Swamp Thing" (I haven´t read that yet).
Two post apocalyptic series that I like are "Y: The Last Man" and "DMZ". The first is about a strange phenomenon that kills every man on the planed but Yorick Brown an escape artist and his monkey. So the main character has to discover what caused all that while he is chased by Amazons that think that all men were meant to die. The second, "DMZ" is the story of a reporter that is trapped in this de-militarized zone in New York (a no man´s land whitout any form or government or regulations) during a civil war in the USA.

Last edited by Wedge on 11 Jun 2010, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xSuPeRxCeJaYx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jun 2010, 7:57 am

Thanx guys. Im getting those comics today. Lemme know if you think of anymore. Greatly Appreciated.

xSuPeRxCeJaYx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jun 2010, 12:16 pm

xSuPeRxCeJaYx wrote:
I just recently got seriously interested in comic books again. But I want something that doesn't shove a "super hero" down my throat.
I read Super Hero comics when I was a kid. But feel as if I grew out of them now. I am looking for NON-Superhero Comic Books.
Slasher, Horror ,ZOMBIES!! !! , and POST APOCALYPTIC. Those last to are my favz. Any Ideas?

PS

Bump
Is there N e More ?

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 9:44 am

I've read several of the HP Lovecraft series, it's an interesting twist on his life. Very strange and morbid.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 10:34 am

Have you read Freak Angels?

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 6:51 pm

xSuPeRxCeJaYx wrote:

PS

...Horror ones that I enjoyed from the past , which generally featured anthology stories , sort of like Twilight Zone of Alfred Hitchcock Presents , were the:
DC - House of Mystery , House of Secrets , The Witching Hour , like that
EC - Tales From The Crypt , Vault Of Horror , , etc.
Warren - Creepy , Eerie
and Skywald - Psycho , Etc. and others .
^The DC ones have some Showcase Presnts volumes , in B&W and very cheap/lots of pages
There's more reprints of the EC ones than I can count ( These have been some " modern-day " attempts at the EC concepts , too , which are a bit more aimed at kids of today and I like less . )
There are some books of the Warren stuff ,
the Skywald stuff's a bit hard-to-get now...There's other examples of this , too !
I semi-regularly read the Vertigo comic Hellblazer , Vertigo is a subsiciary of DC and also has had " modern-day " versions of the concepts I referred to for DC above , which are not quite in the same style .

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2010, 11:44 pm

The "Lucifer" series published by Vertigo is supposedly very good. Also the "Fables" comics put out by Vertigo, there are several I believe. I have not read either, as I actually generally prefer the super hero genre, but I hear good things.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 3:22 am

There's also - well, I guess the best term is a series of limited series from Marvel, Marvel Zombies. Basic idea is that there was one timeline in which, apparently sometime in the late Nineties, a zombie plague hit a variant on the Marvel universe (one in which Captain America had been promoted to Colonel America, for one thing). There's a lot about how the plague spread, how the super-types were the ones best equipped to "survive" it (becoming the eaters, rather than the eaten), and how eventually they found two ways out - one group ate Galactus, gained his cosmic powers, and began traveling the stars, seeking out new worlds to eat; another was contacted by the Ultimate universe's Reed Richards, through his dimensional portal, and the Ultimate heroes had to fend off an attack by super-zombies. Currently, the fifth series is in process; this one features some of the odder characters Marvel has ever come up with, including Machine Man and Howard the Duck, in the employ of a transdimensional organization that tries to keep the timelines from tangling and the multiverse from being destroyed. They're hunting down the origin of the plague - I think; any story that includes Howard and Aaron Stack is going to be hard to follow...

There's another refugee from that universe, appearing occasionally in Marvel's title Deadpool. That universe's Deadpool was also reduced to zombiehood, of course - and then, after coming through a portal into the Everglades and encountering Florida's Initiative team, he was further reduced to just a disembodied head. (He claims to prefer this, as it frees him from a zombie's constant hunger. After all, with no stomach, there's no need to fill said stomach, right?) Deadpool now carries him around as a sort of mascot, and refers to him as Headpool.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 5:49 am

I was a fan of The Preacher series. That might be worth checking out.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 6:38 pm

xSuPeRxCeJaYx wrote:

Thanks for posting this ! ! I'm working on ideas for three comic books series, and never stopped to think about them being non-superhero in nature. it's given me a bit of insight that some people really aren't interested in superheroes, but unusual people and their lives/struggles.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 8:17 pm

DarrylZero wrote:
I was a fan of The Preacher series. That might be worth checking out.

OMG THIS.

Seconding the Y: The Last Man recommendation and adding on Sandman. While I haven't read it, The Goon is a zombie comic that's supposed to be quite good.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 5:51 pm

Alan Moore - V for Vendetta
Jamie DeLano - Hellblazer
Jaime Hernandez/Gilbert Hernandez - Love and Rockets
Good underground comics and any of the dozens of intelligent Graphic Novels in the world.
These transcend 'Genre', elevate the art form and are easy to find.

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

RICKY5
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 10:42 pm

Garth Ennis' Preacher
Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX Run
Irredeemable by Mark Waid

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 10:55 pm

Doktor Sleepless (Warren Ellis)
Crossed (Garth Ennis, second volume is being written by David Lapham)
100 Bullets (Brian Azzarello)
The Chronicles of Wormwood (Garth Ennis)
Chew (John Layman)
Scars (Warren Ellis)
Locke and Key (Joe Hill)
Transmetropolitan (Warren Ellis)
Filthy Rich (Brian Azzarello)
The Strange Adventures of H.P. Lovecraft (Max Carter)
FreakAngels (Warren Ellis)

With your current distaste for super hero comics, you may actually like The Boys despite super heroes being involved in the storyline (it's basically Garth Ennis' anti-super hero book).

I tend to like certain writers more than any particular genre of comic. Like, I'm a big fan of Grant Morrison and he tends to write a few different styles and stories. Same with Warren Ellis.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson