Why put people in jail for non-voilent crimes?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 3:34 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Space wrote:
There's a lot of crime that isn't in itself violent, but either directly contributes/cause violence (drugs), or destroys the lives of many people (white collar crime). It seems obvious to me that these people should be doing time.

I think it would be the laws that make drugs illegal which more directly contributes/causes violence as well as the war on drugs...as for drugs themselves I do not think most in themselves have violence as an effect per say, though some drugs have effects that could contribute to violent behavior perhaps.

Like alcohol? :D
I agree with you on the drug war. There is so much violence exactly because they made stuff illegal, but since there is demand there will always be suppliers. If they made alcohol illegal again Al Capone would come back from the dead to quench our thirst. And locking up Joe Jerkoff for selling bags of dope doesn't help anyone, because Joe Jerkoff #2 will be ready to take his place on the street (and later his place in prison at the tax payer's expense).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 3:47 am

trollcatman wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Space wrote:
There's a lot of crime that isn't in itself violent, but either directly contributes/cause violence (drugs), or destroys the lives of many people (white collar crime). It seems obvious to me that these people should be doing time.

I think it would be the laws that make drugs illegal which more directly contributes/causes violence as well as the war on drugs...as for drugs themselves I do not think most in themselves have violence as an effect per say, though some drugs have effects that could contribute to violent behavior perhaps.

I agree with you on the drug war. There is so much violence exactly because they made stuff illegal, but since there is demand there will always be suppliers. If they made alcohol illegal again Al Capone would come back from the dead to quench our thirst. And locking up Joe Jerkoff for selling bags of dope doesn't help anyone, because Joe Jerkoff #2 will be ready to take his place on the street (and later his place in prison at the tax payer's expense).

Alcohol impairs the frontal lobe...and lowers inhibitions, so in some people it could contribute to more aggressive behavior...for instance might not hold back as much than they normally would when angry. Even then alcohol itself isn't going to take a perfectly peaceful person and turn them into a raving maniac, if said peaceful person was really upset while drunk then they might not react in as mature of a way as they would sober.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 4:10 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
trollcatman wrote:

Alcohol impairs the frontal lobe...and lowers inhibitions, so in some people it could contribute to more aggressive behavior...for instance might not hold back as much than they normally would when angry. Even then alcohol itself isn't going to take a perfectly peaceful person and turn them into a raving maniac, if said peaceful person was really upset while drunk then they might not react in as mature of a way as they would sober.

Yes, I think the majority of people don't become aggressive when drinking alcohol. I've drunk quite a bit and never became aggressive, and that goes for everyone I know (as far as I know). But the strange part is that there are still regular incidents with drunk people: drunk driving and accidents, sometimes people do get aggressive (but I agree that they were already rage-prone to begin with), there is the health risk of alcohol, yet is it legal almost everywhere. Yet with the same arguments they banned weed and cocaine and magic mushrooms and stuff. Alcohol is just the more acceptable drug for most people.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 4:22 am

The funny thing about that is, alcohol is one of the worst drugs in terms of addictive potential and active:lethal dose ratio, as well as being much more damaging than quite a few illegal drugs...

Anyway, cannabis, at least, has been effectively decriminalised by the people, the government just hasn't understood that yet. I doubt people will turn someone in for possessing other illegal drugs either. The only people who are bothered are the police, and they're paid to be bothered.

I once saw people inhaling from a bong on the steps of my university accomodation. That's quite out in the open...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 3:20 pm

Magneto wrote:
The funny thing about that is, alcohol is one of the worst drugs in terms of addictive potential and active:lethal dose ratio, as well as being much more damaging than quite a few illegal drugs...

Anyway, cannabis, at least, has been effectively decriminalised by the people, the government just hasn't understood that yet. I doubt people will turn someone in for possessing other illegal drugs either. The only people who are bothered are the police, and they're paid to be bothered.

I once saw people inhaling from a bong on the steps of my university accomodation. That's quite out in the open...

I really don't get the cops in this state, I mean sometimes they are cool about things...like technically you aren't supposed to smoke out in the open but a lot aren't going to go out of their way to walk through the parks to try to stop everyone smoking weed. One time I was drinking some beer with my dad in a park but people in the damn nearby appartment complained so they came, my dad unfortunately had a warrent so got arrested(its over with now think he's done with all the legal crap finally). But yeah they didn't bother so much as writing a ticket for the public consumption of beer. But then as can be seen in Denver may times they tend to get 'carried away' and like to gang up like some intimidation tactic and they will arrest people for non-violent things depending on the situation, of course I suppose if they don't get charged with a crime then they just have to endure that unpleasant experience until that's been determined or whatever. I am kind of afraid to go down there as I live a bit outside it but there are concert venues and things I like so can't let that stop me. I do not like when cops remind me of a fascist police state, that is not pleasant. Though admittedly there are a lot of a**holes from what I understand they hired a bunch of new ones(probably recent graduates of whatever training program cops go through with bad attitudes) but there are still some that are reasonable and won't immediately resort to aggression.