What are the pros and cons of university?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 3:47 pm

(Both academically, socially, and financially?) Because I got an application for this program for people with disabilities who want to take college classes. I already know a few cons: I live in High Point and the program's at UNC at Greensboro and I don't have a car yet to get there. The tuition will probably be high, and I have to get 2 letters of recommendation from 2 of my teachers. Plus, I might have to see if they offer night classes because I work during the day.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 5:28 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
(Both academically, socially, and financially?) Because I got an application for this program for people with disabilities who want to take college classes. I already know a few cons: I live in High Point and the program's at UNC at Greensboro and I don't have a car yet to get there. The tuition will probably be high, and I have to get 2 letters of recommendation from 2 of my teachers. Plus, I might have to see if they offer night classes because I work during the day.

First find out everything you need to from the university. If it's feasible, go for it. Especially if you can get a bursary, don't pass off the opportunity because you will have better qualifications as a result. You'll possibly even be able to get a better job than the one you have now.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2010, 5:50 am

I'm going to a community college before I enroll into a university so I can save money. Four-year universities are usually expensive, but community colleges are much cheaper. The only pro relating to a university that I can think of is that universities tend to have more things to do on campus than community colleges.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 12:08 am

There aren't really pros and cons. First off, it depends on how much you want to go and why to determine if it's a 'pro' or 'con'. There are so many kinds of universities out there that you can't really give a comprehensive pro and con list for them. They will all have different academic programs, people have different social capabilities, and there are different financial options so that's not something I can answer.

Even if you don't have transportation, you might be able to live on campus. (I don't understand if this is a university or special type of school so it's hard to say.) Junior colleges and larger universities have larger offerings of classes which would include night classes. You can probably get financial aid so you might not have to worry about working anyway (depends on what your living situation is like). I got scholarships for academics and volunteering, but I am going to a private college and they give larger scholarships. I also will get federal grants and money from voc rehab, and both of those are things you will probably get if you just take the required steps to get them. If you want to see what the academics are like, take a day to go sit in on classes there. You can call and ask who to set this up with. If you want to see the social side, go for an overnight visit with a student and they should be able to show you what happens on campus. I just finished a year at junior college (some night classes, but not all) and I didn't get to know anyone just commuting to class. If you don't want to stay overnight, you can get a general idea by just spending time on campus during the day...visiting the bookstore, walking around, etc. And visit these sites and see if there are reviews for the school you're looking at: collegeconfidential (use the search), unigo, and studentreviews.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 5:18 pm

Pros:
- Having a degree from a "higher class" University makes you look good
- (if in the US) You get to experience College life and have a bit of independence away from your parents
- Lots of clubs, easily join one of them it's related to your special interest
- Counselling, Medical and Sports facilities available to Uni students at a discounted price

Cons:
- Uni fees can be very expensive compared to high school
- The Uni degree might not really be that useful in getting that job you want (depends on relevance)
- Arrogant, shallow people (depending on your Uni course)
- Certain Uni courses have compulsory yet unnecessary/impractical subjects for intended profession.