Are unusual phobias an early sign of AS or an ASD?

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

castlering
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Mar 2011, 11:05 am

As much as I am fascinated by them, I am also terrified of electricity pylons - the crackling wires really freak me out. It is getting easier - I now can walk underneath wires without having to call someone to talk me through the process, but being near pylons still makes me sweat. It's as if I can feel the electricity in the air - *shudder*

Can anyone else out there relate to this?

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 12:53 pm

I have been petrified of lifts ("elevators" for those in the US) all my life. I can't go in them unless forced and with someone else. I have been known to climb 15 flights of stairs to avoid the lift.

I also am petrified of fire alarms. I wanted to smash the fire alarm in my room one night but I live in supported accommodation so the carer would get me into severe trouble and I would be kicked out. I have no other home to go to (I was homeless before I came to supported accommodation) so I'm going to have to put up with the daily fear of it going off.

The fire alarm did go off once and I screamed the whole house down. I only stopped when I managed to somehow walk out of the house and call the carer to come and stop it, although he could barely understand what I was saying because I was crying so much.

SPS1981
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Mar 2011, 1:10 pm

I've worked with several 7 to 12 year olds in school settings who display the hypersensitivity to loud sounds, especially the school bells.

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2011, 4:52 pm

Phobias probably are more common for Aspies, but there are NTs--even adults--with phobias such as birds (not just scary birds like hawks) and flying on planes.

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2011, 6:12 pm

I do not have such obscure phobias as you did, but i do have many extreme ones. My phobias are fairly common, but they are unusually extreme and i have a lot of them. Here are my phobias:

the dark (i am 14 and sleep with not just a night light, but a fairly bright desk lamp on)

the woods (if my parents attempt to force me to take my dog out when it is getting dark, i begin to cry and have a panic attack because i am so afraid of what may come out of the dark woods)

bees

bodies of water (i am mostly afraid of what may lurk in the water, so i cannot swim in lakes, ponds, and definitely not the ocean. I will not even swim in pools at night time (even if they are lit up).)

intruders/ being attacked (i always check every closet, cabinet, and behind the shower curtain when i enter the bathroom; I make my parents check my closets and under my bed before i even enter my bedroom at night; I literally take a running leap into bed for fear that someone will grab my foot from under the bed; I also always lift up my comforter to be sure that there is nothing hiding in it. )

all my phobias are actually one of the main reasons that i got my dog. She just makes me feel so much safer! As well as the fact that she is my best friend, companion, anxiety reducer, and outlet to the social world.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 8:04 pm

When I was about 4 or 5 I was scared of balloons and if they were on TV I would hide behind the chair.
I'm scared of matches and won't touch them after I got burnt with one.
When I got older if I saw something on tv like a heart machine going off I got scared thankfully they don't worry me anymore.
I have a big phobia of fire after seeing a movie when a man was on fire.

iwannabeadragon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2011, 8:23 pm

I used to (and still kind of do) have a phobia of toilets, especially flushing them. I also used to be afraid of the shower.