Page 7 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Apr 2022, 9:21 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I think pop music has been on a gradual decline since the 90s ended. Alternative Rock, Ska, Pop Rock, EMO, Grunge, & Boy Bands/Girl singing groups, has been replaced by slower songs with lots of rapping in parts & Techno sounding stuff. In the case of the Techno stuff, I'm one of these extremely rare individuals who actually wants to enjoy music without needing to do meth at a club 8O
That said, Comedy music has become much more prolific online & easier to find thanks to sites like YouTube, Bandcamp, & Kickstarter(most all the music I actually buy these days is comedy music from the latter two types of sites) so that's a major plus :mrgreen:

Bandcamp is an excellent place to find music that doesn't tick all the music industry's little checkboxes.
After the pandemic started, Bandcamp started having Bandamp Fridays where on the 1st Friday of the month, Bandcamp won't take a cut of the sales so a higher amount of money goes to the artists when sales are made on those Fridays. They haven't done it every month thou so I check before buying. Sometimes the artists take preorders on there to help fund their album's official release or pay to get physical CDs & records printed. Also sometimes the artists donate some of their proceeds to charity/nonprofit groups depending on the artists connection to current events, so I'd rather buy music on there during Bandamp Fridays.

Bandcamp Fridays Continue in 2022
https://daily.bandcamp.com/features/ban ... ays-update
Quote:
On the first Friday of the month since March of 2020, we’ve waived our revenue share to help support the many artists who have seen their livelihoods disrupted by the pandemic. Over the course of 17 days, fans paid artists and labels more than $73 million dollars, helping cover rents, mortgages, groceries, medications, and much more. If you’re among the nearly 800,000 fans who participated, thank you.

It will likely be several months before live performance revenue returns in full. So we’re going to continue doing Bandcamp Fridays in 2022, on February 4th, March 4th, April 1st, and May 6th. As always, isitbandcampfriday.com has the details.

If you’ve started to feel guilty about buying music on any day other than Bandcamp Friday, here’s something to keep in mind: on Bandcamp Fridays, an average of 93% of your money reaches the artist/label (after payment processor fees). When you make a purchase on any other day of the month (as 2.5 million of you have since March, buying an additional $190 million worth of music and merch) an average of 82% reaches the artist/label. Every day is a good day to directly support artists on Bandcamp!

Lots of artists there either wouldn't be able to get signed cuz they don't fit the mold & image that the record labels want to push out or the artists don't like being tied to a record label. The Reel Big Fish song, Sell Out comes to mind.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 10:48 am

old_comedywriter wrote:
When did music start to suck?

When MTV stopped playing videos.
I've only really watched two shows on MTV since Daria ended, the one season Beavis & Butthead got brought back for about 11 years ago & I watch Ridiculousness a lot. I'm not counting the nonMTV shows that MTV2 sometimes plays like South Park or The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air. I don't go out of my way to watch Ridiculousness, it's on alot & it doesn't require much focus. Plus Chanel West Coast is nice to look at depending on what she is wearing :mrgreen: I found a few of her rap songs on YouTube & I normally don't listen to rap but I actually kinda liked the songs. I get why other people don't & that's some of why I like em. They're so bad, they're almost laughable :lol: On time Rob called MTV, Music Television & Chanel didn't know what he was talking about. Rob said "it's the network we're on" & she made a comment about MTV not having anything to do with music. She may have been high at the time but she is a little younger than me so I think her confusion is perfectly justified. MTV really should have changed their name when the 90s ended. The MTV at the beginning of the 90s would have been appalled at how much they lost their way since.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 9:20 pm

13.5 billion years ago, the first ever sound wave pulsed though the densely-packed quark-gluon plasma of the early Universe. It was sweet. 2 milliseconds later, the second ever sound wave followed it, and it absolutely sucked.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 10:05 pm

I'm going to argue that genre founding (at least in any meaningful sense) is almost over, unless we find some radical way to breath new dimensions into music. At the same time there are some very talented bands and musicians out there even now, you're just not as likely to find them arriving in droves and they won't be shoved in front of your face.

Revivalism is a big thing. There's at least a handful of Manchester England hip hop artists who've gone super-Dilla, mainly thinking of The Mouse Outfit affiliates, similarly neosoul is looking good. You have folk singers like Jose Gonzales whose a bit like the second coming of James Taylor meets Juan Luis Guerra, KEXP also gets a lot of good acts through. You have a whole bunch of progressive rock acts out there who are trying to remake the six or seven song long-player albums from the 70's including that style of artwork, I'd add in a similar stack that you can't easily knock bands like Animals As Leaders with the only exception that they're strictly instrumental.

It seems like what's missing is cohesive scenes, like things have atomized, that there's not a lot that's truly new and exciting, but - there are still people tearing it up!

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 10:06 pm

Fnord wrote:
was any new music, what with covers, plagiarism, and sampling running rampant.[/color]

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

princegeorge99999
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Nov 2022, 9:59 pm

it didn't

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 5:16 am

To misquote Prof. Farnsworth: "The very moment you became old."

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 8:45 am

I know someone on another forum who genuinely believes it's all been garbage ever since the start of the 18th century.

[edit] so I should probably check if he's a vampire?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 9:54 pm

I listen to lots of different music in the current day. I feel as though the best period was from the 1950's until the early noughties and then it has gone a bit rubbish since then, in large part.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2022, 4:05 pm

When did music start to suck?

Probably around the same time that movies, television, video games, and social media started to suck too.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 2:49 pm

I don't think Stock Aitken Waterman helped much.

For example:

Personally I'd rather Fleetwood Mac than this pile of crap.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2022, 4:27 am

For rock and metal i feel it was mid to late noughts and definitely the tens music production seemed to change. It became more a wall of production and nothing breathed. They started sampling drums which is a pet hate of mine.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 3:58 pm

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
For rock and metal i feel it was mid to late noughts and definitely the tens music production seemed to change. It became more a wall of production and nothing breathed. They started sampling drums which is a pet hate of mine.
I have not heard rock nor metal on any over-the-air FM stations since the 90s except for the Classic Rock type stations. If I did not have the internet, I woulda assumed that new rock & metal did not exist at all in this millennium except for the bands/artists that were around in the 90s & kept producing.

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2022, 7:36 pm

Yes and all the festivals are dominated by the old guard (rightfully so in my opinion until something worthy comes along which I think can't happen in this current time)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 9:02 pm

Like most things, things begin to go downhill the more the big guys start to pump money into things.
The more things get commercial to make profits, the .ore things generally go downhill.
Seen it in mountain biking and other similar sports, where old "Fair" rules are done away with and new rules are made specifically to favour those who can invest big money so they can reap the rewards. Gone is the ability to compete as a privateer when such things happen.
A similar tuing took place in the music indusyry from the late 1950's onwards. Priorto thatptetty much anyone could go to a sound studio, make a recording and hit the charts. After big money arrived on the scene who automatcally bought up thousands of records to boost their bands chart ratings (E.g. The Beetles and many others), the small guys just could not compets and pretty much the music industry became sewn up by the few who could plough in big money to give tneir bands a chance.
Some rather rubbish music made it in the charts simply buy buying up records to boost their chart rating. (I mentioned The Beatles as they were the first band known to do this. From tyen on it became the "Norm" to get bands into the charts in this way, and it became a case that the more money invested to boost the chart fgures, the higner up in the charts ones band became as ordinary folk like you or me buying recordssimple because we liked the music became insufficient to compets with these vast cash inputs).

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 9:14 pm

jimmyjazzuk wrote:
Yes and all the festivals are dominated by the old guard (rightfully so in my opinion until something worthy comes along which I think can't happen in this current time)
I cant keep track of all the rock legends we lost over the last few years :( I really think punk rock needs to make a major comeback due to the issues that were relevent back then becoming just as relevent again.