Page 6 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2022, 9:33 am

munstead wrote:
I think everyone gets to a point where beyond the age of say 30-35 we stop listening to new music, coming to the conclusion it isn't as good as it was back in our 'day'. Everyone is the same like this. It's happened for ages, and will no doubt continue to. . .
It would be nice if there ever was any new music, what with covers, plagiarism, and sampling running rampant.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2022, 12:02 pm

True story.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 7:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
munstead wrote:
I think everyone gets to a point where beyond the age of say 30-35 we stop listening to new music, coming to the conclusion it isn't as good as it was back in our 'day'. Everyone is the same like this. It's happened for ages, and will no doubt continue to. . .
It would be nice if there ever was any new music, what with covers, plagiarism, and sampling running rampant.

I occasionally spend half a day looking for new music, and at some point had to admit to myself that the problem is not so much that there isn't any new music, but it's not coming from where it used to come from when I was 16.
I used to like aggressive punk rock and hardcore punk music, and in the 90s, there would be plenty of it, most of it from california, fun young guys who cane out if skateboarding culture.
The bands still exist, and there's still new bands, but they don't make new music - it's still 90s punk rock.

I currently like Howie Lee a lot. A Chinese-American electronic musician who blends his cultures in his music. I have never heard anything like it before, and I wouldn't have, had I stuck to looking for newusic at the same place I was looking 20 years ago.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 5:28 am

When the recorder was invented!

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 6:45 am

Plato complaining about "when music started to suck" around 400 BC:

"Our music was once divided into its proper forms ... It was not permitted to exchange the melodic styles of these established forms and others. Knowledge and informed judgment penalized disobedience. There were no whistles, unmusical mob-noises, or clapping for applause. The rule was to listen silently and learn; boys, teachers, and the crowd were kept in order by threat of the stick. ... But later, an unmusical anarchy was led by poets who had natural talent, but were ignorant of the laws of music ... Through foolishness they deceived themselves into thinking that there was no right or wrong way in music, that it was to be judged good or bad by the pleasure it gave. By their works and their theories they infected the masses with the presumption to think themselves adequate judges. So our theatres, once silent, grew vocal, and aristocracy of music gave way to a pernicious theatrocracy ... the criterion was not music, but a reputation for promiscuous cleverness and a spirit of law-breaking."

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 8:05 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:

"Our music was once divided into its proper forms ... It was not permitted to exchange the melodic styles of these established forms and others. Knowledge and informed judgment penalized disobedience. There were no whistles, unmusical mob-noises, or clapping for applause. The rule was to listen silently and learn; boys, teachers, and the crowd were kept in order by threat of the stick. ... But later, an unmusical anarchy was led by poets who had natural talent, but were ignorant of the laws of music ... Through foolishness they deceived themselves into thinking that there was no right or wrong way in music, that it was to be judged good or bad by the pleasure it gave. By their works and their theories they infected the masses with the presumption to think themselves adequate judges. So our theatres, once silent, grew vocal, and aristocracy of music gave way to a pernicious theatrocracy ... the criterion was not music, but a reputation for promiscuous cleverness and a spirit of law-breaking."

I wonder what Plato would think of grindcore. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 4:30 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:

Thats a great quote.

Never heard the term "theatrocracy" before. "Rule by the theatrical" rather than by the nobility. Folks wanted their MTV, even back then! :lol:

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 4:51 pm

The first instrument was the human voice. Perhaps handclapping was also permitted. Once some other caveman started banging a rock with a stick while simultaneously grunting, music was corrupted forever.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 5:09 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
I think mainstream music began to suck around 2002 and indie music started to get worse around 2007. Today's music is definitely not as good as 60s, 70s, 80s or even 90s music, even the kids realize that for the most part. I guess that's just my opinion though.

The part in the middle is especially interesting- where he reveals that half of the hits on the radio today are written one or the other of two industry hacks (One Swedish, one American) whom no one has heard of.

brane75
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2022, 9:20 am

When neo-liberal capitalism's influence began growing and growing and growing...

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Apr 2022, 9:35 am

I think pop music has been on a gradual decline since the 90s ended. Alternative Rock, Ska, Pop Rock, EMO, Grunge, & Boy Bands/Girl singing groups, has been replaced by slower songs with lots of rapping in parts & Techno sounding stuff. In the case of the Techno stuff, I'm one of these extremely rare individuals who actually wants to enjoy music without needing to do meth at a club 8O
That said, Comedy music has become much more prolific online & easier to find thanks to sites like YouTube, Bandcamp, & Kickstarter(most all the music I actually buy these days is comedy music from the latter two types of sites) so that's a major plus :mrgreen:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2022, 3:05 pm

nick007 wrote:
I think pop music has been on a gradual decline since the 90s ended. Alternative Rock, Ska, Pop Rock, EMO, Grunge, & Boy Bands/Girl singing groups, has been replaced by slower songs with lots of rapping in parts & Techno sounding stuff. In the case of the Techno stuff, I'm one of these extremely rare individuals who actually wants to enjoy music without needing to do meth at a club 8O
That said, Comedy music has become much more prolific online & easier to find thanks to sites like YouTube, Bandcamp, & Kickstarter(most all the music I actually buy these days is comedy music from the latter two types of sites) so that's a major plus :mrgreen:

Bandcamp is an excellent place to find music that doesn't tick all the music industry's little checkboxes.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2022, 5:24 pm

I'd say about 1987 , which is when the rick astley type music came out. Before that there were many great pop songs.
Then around 1991 it was all about dance music with random weird samples.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2022, 6:18 pm

Technology is so advanced these days, that pretty anyone can make music. Whether it’s a good or a bad thing. Don’t forget that the better the sound gets, over the years, the less efforts many artists put into their work. Auto-tune, samples, etc.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2022, 6:28 pm

When did music start to suck?

When MTV stopped playing videos.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 5:38 am

I'm also guessing that the fact that music has almost been "free" for over 20 years, it might have slowed down some enthusiastic musicians. There's not as much money to be made as there used to. Artists have to be original (and or popular) to get through and gotta sell merch and tour extensively. Not an easy work.