Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 6:31 am

Just read about a link between autism and amblyopia/strabismus in a previous thread. Did a bit of research and there is definitely a connection. It has to do with the way the brain is processing information and it includes depth perception issues as well.

I had my lazy eye fixed as a child but I still can't see in 3-D.

Anyone else?

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2010, 6:40 am

My left and right sides don't "talk to each other". One casualty is 3D vision and depth perception. I process information from the left side far slower than from the right, so there can be no real-time interaction.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 6:49 am

I had amblyopia as a child and have trouble with depth perception.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 7:05 am

I can see in 3D. Can you guys not see 3D movies in 3D either?

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 7:10 am

ColdBlooded wrote:
I can see in 3D. Can you guys not see 3D movies in 3D either?

LOL I ca see in 3D IRL. I can't see 3D movies or any other kinds of images.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 7:13 am

I can see 3D in real life, but I have a hard time, when I'm watching a 3D movie, or playing a 3D video game.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 7:32 am

I can see 3-D but I have a real hard time judging depth and distance. I never had amblyopia but my NT sister did. She had surgery to correct it when she was a toddler.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 7:35 am

No I cannot, lazy eye.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 9:20 am

Only with glasses, and I didn't understand the difference until I was 15 or so and went to a 3D movie and thought it was "more real than real life." Even then I still didn't understand what was happening until I got glasses, after I got my learner's permit.

It wasn't lazy eye or anything like that--just one eye much weaker than the other, and it seems as though my brain compensated by ignoring the input from the bad eye as much as possible and accepting only input from the good eye, where it could get away with that.

As you might imagine, I have to wear glasses when I drive. ;)

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 9:23 am

I can see the 3D at movies, but the images always appear ghost-like. However, i cant play basketball worth a damn, and I always overestimate distances when driving.

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2010, 9:30 am

I don't have a lazy eye, as far as I'm aware, but I have Irlen Syndrome (which is apparently common in Aspergers) and that means I don't have good 3D vision or depth perception. But I now have glasses with Irlen tints on, and that helps a lot.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 10:24 am

No problem with watching Avatar in 3D (I went three times). My optician however had major issues when preparing my first set of variable focus lenses and it was only right on the third attempt. There's something strange about my right eye but I forget the technical term that she used.

Vanilla_Slice

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 10:30 am

nope, no problems for me with this at all.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

jametto
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jun 2010, 1:08 pm

Sort've.

Everything doesn't look 3D but it's not exactly 2D either. I describe it like I'm in the matrix.
I also see shedload of flashing dots of light.

I find things also get more 2D the further away they are.

My vision went perfect after 2 months of being on a GFCF diet. Objects looked as though they were glowing, I noticed the shapes in objects rather than seeing a shape by it's perimeter (mostly noticable in distant objects. Trees looked amazing, everything basically looked to perfect to be real. (dots were still there but from memory there were less)

Knowing what my vision was 2 months back, I can describe "autistic" vision as being dull, paper like, and not specific. the difference was incredible, I could count how many cars there were sitting at an intersection from 600 meters or so back. Now I can't tell by around 1-2 car lengths when I'm less than 100 meters away (I'm not exaggerating).

Then I went off the diet for a month and then have been back on it for the last 6 weeks now and my vision has failed to return even the slightest bit. FML.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2010, 6:09 pm

I can't do autostereograms. Have never been able to no matter what techniques I've tried and how much I've tried them.

I've never been diagnosed with any vision problem, but my vision hasn't been looked at in depth since there aren't any serious problems.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 6:15 pm

Fo-Rum wrote:
I can't do autostereograms. Have never been able to no matter what techniques I've tried and how much I've tried them.

I've never been diagnosed with any vision problem, but my vision hasn't been looked at in depth since there aren't any serious problems.

Do you mean the magic eye pictures? I can't see them even when someone points out the location of the image. Many here can though.