Has anyone ever experienced this or know what it is?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

metoikos
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jun 2010, 3:45 pm

I recently rediscovered this after a lapse of about 6 years. When I was younger and listening to a steady rhythmic noise or monotone voice I would often slip into a kind of trance where I would stare off into space and feel tingling sensations up and down my spine and in my head. The point where the spine connects to my head had the most intense sensation and the sensation is very pleasurable. I can choose to slip into it or stop myself from slipping in at will, but after I've started it I sometimes cannot stop it without an external stimulus. While this is happening my eyes defocus and I sometimes cannot interpret what the voice (if a voice is what caused it) is saying. This happened frequently when I was younger and began to happen less frequently as I got on in my teenage years. It ceased all together around the age of 17, but it recently has begun happening again. Has anyone any experience with anything similar? To date I have not heard of anyone else experiencing this.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 4:00 pm

Not sure if this is comparable, but ill list it anyways.

Usually it will happen when im sitting down but it has already happened while I have been walking around before.
Sometimes my mind will just completely empty (the only time my mind is ever completely blank is when it happens as well.). Then all of a sudden my whole field of vision will just go out of focus. I wont exactly see doubles, but I will see after-images from moving objects(kinda like a of-couloured- translucent image that hangs half way off of the real thing. . I also will perceive movement even more sharply than I already do.
Also at the same time the base of my skull at the back of my neck feels a bit weird, tingly or whatever, and my hearing tends to go really hypersensitive even moreso than normal.

To me though its more of a scary experience than anything, especially if it happens while in a moving vehicle.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

kia_williams
Raven
Raven

13 Jun 2010, 4:07 pm

What you describe RE: rythmic sounds, is basically hypnosis, your incidentally self-hypnotising.

The tingling you describe however has me a bit concerned as it is NOT usually in anyway associated with hypnosis, see a neurologist because i vaguely recall similar descriptions of tingling from cases of epilepsy.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 4:14 pm

I'm not sure, Metoikos, but it could be 'kundalini'. Look it up.

NomadicAssassin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2010, 4:19 pm

Like another said on here I don't know if this is the same but, there have been times where I focus on anything a noise, thing, ect.., and I will sort of go into a peace trance but I can usually be pulled out by my parents shakng me.

Albert Einstein

metoikos
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jun 2010, 6:44 pm

I'm not sure it's self hypnotizing because it seems to happen naturally and I have exert some mental energy to stop it from happening. I'm no actually doing anything to bring it upon myself. I don't think it's epilepsy because I can control if it happens, but maybe I dont really understand epilepsy. The kundalin thing sounds interesting, but it's hard for me to make anything of it because I dont understand the terminology used to describe it yet. I should clarify that I can almost always pull myself out of it, but there have been a small number occasions where I got so wrapped up in the sound that I couldn't. The thing that DemonAbyss10 talks about sounds somewhat similar. My mind is completely blank except for the sounds that caused it.

kia_williams
Raven
Raven

13 Jun 2010, 7:10 pm

People hit a natural period of hypnosis just before falling asleep and just after waking up, it can be induced, but it can just happen.