when did you first realize you were different?

Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 6:21 am

I was never conscious of being different until my actual diagnosis at age 12.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 6:38 am

Delete

Last edited by Todesking on 14 Jun 2010, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 6:41 am

I remember going out to play durring kindergarden. The other kids were playing in a big mass and I was always on the outside of the mass looking at trees, squirels, and the cars in the parking lot never looking at the other kids. The teacher would catch me wondering off and was always grabbing me by the arm to pull me back to the mass. The teacher was always asking my parents if I did this at home. She tied a thick piece of twine around my waist and to another child to keep me from wondering off. This really made me popular. :roll: Kids would sometimes try to pull me closer with the twine. It was a nightmare.

A weird fact about my kindergarden class is four people from the class were with me in special education and two were in gifted class. I wonder if they gave my teacher all the weird kids.

Last edited by Todesking on 14 Jun 2010, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 6:57 am

Daycare....I was treated differently and separated from the other kids by one particularly abusive warden....so it seems as though maybe she wanted to teach me that I was different. I even have an odd memory that just popped up that she might have even once placed me into a crib in the infant room because I remember the bars of the crib and one of those activity boards they put in cribs for babies...but that might be a false memory...It could also be that she was racist and I was the only Caucasian kid at that daycare (which was predominantly Hispanic at the time)..so maybe she took her feelings out on me... dunnow...I probably should not read too much into my vague memories of that experience.
Howyousay....
I noticed i was different from other girls at an early age, but it was first grade where it became glaringly obvious that I was actually different from all the kids...that is when the bullying from peers began, and also I had an insane and abusive teacher who also bullied me by singling me out and calling me names and punishing me and such...

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 7:24 am

Very early. I was in the Daycare and they told me I should play with children. But I didn't know how to. I didn't know children rules. I didn't know why they did something. All was fake, stinky and highlighted. I didn't want to sleep, eat and play.
Adults always told I was horrible kid and nobody liked me.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 7:26 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
Daycare....I was treated differently and separated from the other kids by one particularly abusive warden....so it seems as though maybe she wanted to teach me that I was different. I even have an odd memory that just popped up that she might have even once placed me into a crib in the infant room because I remember the bars of the crib and one of those activity boards they put in cribs for babies...but that might be a false memory...It could also be that she was racist and I was the only Caucasian kid at that daycare (which was predominantly Hispanic at the time)..so maybe she took her feelings out on me... dunnow...I probably should not read too much into my vague memories of that experience.
Howyousay....

I have a friend who has a daughter that is in an all African American day care and her daughter who is caucasion says one of the babysitters there keeps her away from the other kids so she can braid her hair. She showers her daughter with attention thou its not like she is isolated, her daughter loves the attention the babysitter gives her. Her daughter might be an aspie she hates to be around kids and prefers the company of adults that might be the reason she keeps her away from the other kids. The other kids might have noticed your differences the daycare worker could have been protecting you. But since I was not there I would take your word for it.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 7:39 am

Todesking wrote:
poopylungstuffing wrote:
Howyousay....

I have a friend who has a daughter that is in an all African American day care and her daughter who is caucasion says one of the babysitters there keeps her away from the other kids so she can braid her hair. She showers her daughter with attention thou its not like she is isolated, her daughter loves the attention the babysitter gives her. Her daughter might be an aspie she hates to be around kids and prefers the company of adults that might be the reason she keeps her away from the other kids. The other kids might have noticed your differences the daycare worker could have been protecting you. But since I was not there I would take your word for it.

No..she was pretty mean about it. She wasn't nice to me at all. I don't recall getting any grief from the other kids..I don't recall my interactions with them..only with the Daycare worker, and she was not very nice. She would make me sit alone at the table with my chair pushed all the way in sometimes while the other kids played. I recall the contrast between the way she acted towards me when I was at Day Care and the way she would act nicely to my parents when she saw them...

I did go to other Day Cares where I did not have this trouble. I had a day care teacher that told the other kids that she wished all her kids were more like me, and as far as she was concerned, they could all go to the Day Care across the street. If I was teased by those kids, I was oblivious to it, but I was most likely isolated and detached.

I was not a deliberately bad or hyperactive child, but I think I was not good at understanding and following directions.

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2010, 7:57 am

I was raised as an only child, so until I went to Kindergarten I had no idea what other children were like because I just played in my room and had no meaningful exposure to other children, only my insular mother and grandmother.

The children seemed loud, moved chaotically, and were prone to outbursts of random behavior whenever teachers weren't around.

They seemed to know thousands of games, songs, and odd little rituals I couldn't imagine existing,. They could never sit quietly without being ordered to first or work on their own independently without being reminded.

They seemed like impulsive little savages to me. And left to their own accord, they never seemed to sit still or crave time alone.

INTJ.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 8:12 am

LinnaeusCat wrote:
They seemed to know thousands of games, songs, and odd little rituals I couldn't imagine existing,. They could never sit quietly without being ordered to first or work on their own independently without being reminded.

You probably know how much odd rituals little girls have. I had horrible problems to understand them. Their relations changed every day. Best friends, soulmates, siameses... Big girls do the same.

Games changed their rules depending on kids playing them. Songs... kids had problems with lyrics and rhythm and it pissed me off. Adults used to tell Valoy, don't care so much, it doesn't matter! I found them stupid.

I didn't know how to play with kids, but adults wanted me to do it. I asked how to and they didn't tell me, but laughed how funny I was.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 10:30 am

I was about three. I noticed I wasn't like the other kids and I was never sure why. Then I figured it was because I get treated different so it made me be different so at age ten I started to try and be normal and trying to get everyone to treat me normally. I didn't like being singled out so I fought for my rights. I also used to think I was bad luck and couldn't understand why. It was also hard for me to control my actions and it be lot of work to try and not act up and be hyper. I never understood then why I was different and I thought I could change it if everyone treated me like everyone else and accepted me. Plus I also started to change myself.

sylvr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2010, 10:41 am

antique_toy wrote:
i didn't feel them as people. when they spoke, i'd interject with suggestions on how they could improve their word pronunciation and grammar.

That and the part about accidentally in trouble. Through school till about grade 4 (nine years old) I would always correct everyone's speech. Even in the middle of game-playing. It was only one day when I realized nobody appreciated it; I was quite offended. :lol:

Also I was always the only one who would get up and run around the room for no reason. Sometimes I went over to the huge bottles of white glue and picked at the lids because "they needed help!", as I told the parent volunteer. I can also remember an episode in gym class where we (that year we shared out gym time with the Multiple Exceptionalities class) were all to sit in a circle and listen to the teacher's instruction. Well on an impulse I decided to get up and run around the room. Not even the ME kids were doing that. One of their teachers had to chase me down.

If that didn't label me as weird/'different', I don't know what would have. :lol:

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 62 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2010, 10:51 am

I've always known my OCD-esque behaviour is abnormal. I always felt somewhat different, perhaps because considered very intelligent since I can remember myself. I couldn't touch people as a kid, I guess that's the things that really proved me I'm weird.

But next to my overall boredom and uninterest, I always had this unusual talent for acquiring languages, the teachers themselves never understood it, people always told their friends of how genious I am because I just never made any errors, despite not studying too much, and finishing tests within 5 minutes. I was shocked and embarrassed when I visited other people's houses, and they told their parents about me. It felt like a weird kind of a freak show, and helped my confidence I guess, but also made me sure that I'm not normal.
(I always say it's the most useless talent in the world, and last thing you want to be a savant of)

I also got feedback about writing and about my ideas, for many years now, and it always made me feel both happy and sad. When everyone praises you, as much as I sound like a jerk right now, you feel really far away. Right now people consider me a wasted potential, and also weird for my eccentricity - actually at times I was told I'm an example of what they say, that geniouses have to be crazy... Now I let me be myself, so appreciate comments for eccentricity and uniqueness, and found some people that I feel are as smart as I am (how bad does it sound?). Still, I feel I'm alone in this world. Just plain different.

It especially doesn't help when everyone tells you that you're different because you care too much, and too friendly, yet you're alone.

Greenmouse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jun 2010, 1:14 pm

When I was in Daycare, I only had one friend, and she had Down's Syndrome. I wasn't able to make friends. I really rejected at that time.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 2:08 pm

I just had two interesting memories:

1. My mother used to be friends with some woman named Jackie; Jackie had these two kids named Jimmy and Johnny who I was supposed to play with when my Mom and Jackie met up; they were more interested in playing with each other than with me. This, btw, was when I was really, really young.

2. For whatever reason, my Mom brought me to this children's book reading at the local library, and she went off to be in the section of the library for teens and adults. I didn't care to hear the librarian read the story, so I got up, and left the room. My mom yelled at me, and sent me right back in.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 2:09 pm

I'm sure I noticed the differences between the other kids and me when I first started school. They played with each other, I played with myself. And so on. But I never really thought about it. I wasn't aware enough of my classmates - or the rest of the outside world, for that matter - to actually realize and contemplate these differences.

Then around second grade I started paying more attention to other people and understanding that they had different thoughts, feelings, and interests. Gradually I also started seeing how I was unlike them. When I was eight I liked to stand on the far edge of the play area at recess, and one day I was just people-watching when it hit me that I was fundamentally very different.

After that I tried to correct every behavior that I perceived as unusual and therefore unaccpetable. And then at the beginning of third grade I pulled out my hair at my temples during class. This phase didn't last long and went away on its own, but that was the start of my struggle with anxiety.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 2:17 pm

Cicely wrote:
I'm sure I noticed the differences between the other kids and me when I first started school. They played with each other, I played with myself. And so on. But I never really thought about it. I wasn't aware enough of my classmates - or the rest of the outside world, for that matter - to actually realize and contemplate these differences.

Then around second grade I started paying more attention to other people and understanding that they had different thoughts, feelings, and interests. Gradually I also started seeing how I was unlike them. When I was eight I liked to stand on the far edge of the play area at recess, and one day I was just people-watching when it hit me that I was fundamentally very different.

After that I tried to correct every behavior that I perceived as unusual and therefore unaccpetable. And then at the beginning of third grade I pulled out my hair at my temples during class. This phase didn't last long and went away on its own, but that was the start of my struggle with anxiety.

I think what made it harder for me to figure out was that people kept lying and telling me "oh, everybody gets made fun of like that; everyone does it to each other, and whatnot".

Yeah...not really; not like that.

And my personal favorite: "they're just jealous of you". Also, "they're missing out, not realizing what a great friendship they could have with you."

Oh, they're not missing out on anything; they wouldn't even realize what they're missing out on.

And no...they weren't jealous; they might be a tiny bit now, but they sure as hell weren't then. More creeped out and disturbed than anything else.

I had some idea I might've been different earlier on, but I think it was really around 6th grade/Jr. High that I really noticed it; I'm not sure. All's I know is looking back now, everything I went thru early on in my life makes sense as to why I went thru it. And god was it hell to experience....