Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 11:50 am

CREEDONIAN LIFE
EPISODE:
ONE STEP UP

Characters:
Peter Bradford Creedon Junior-The general of the Creedonian Army, ladies man, recently married to Ruth DeWitt of Gregstown.
Ruth DeWitt Creedon- Creedon’s wife, is a social “butterfly” attending parties, and various events
Samuel Alan Bukater-The admiral of the Creedonian Navy, another ladies man.
Peter Bradford Creedon- was president until 1889. He is the father of Peter Creedon Junior.
Summary:
It is now late 1889, and the marriage between Peter and Ruth is on its last legs. While there are no arguments, Peter suspects his wife is cheating on him with another man. Thanksgiving seems to be the only respite, but it only invites trouble.

Scene 1
The table is set, and Peter brings out the turkey and places it on the table, we then focus on Ruth who sits on the couch in the parlor. She appears to be writing something, but we cannot see what it is. Outside it is snowing, already there seems to be close to a foot on the ground. There is a knock on the door. Peter hears the knocking and motions to Ruth to get it.

Peter
(Busy with getting beverages ready)
Ruth, would you get that? It’s probably Sam.
Ruth
(She walks over to the door and opens it. It is Sam.)
Hello admiral, I’m glad you could join us.
(We see a smile on her face and a gleam in her eye. She’s extremely happy to see him.)
Samuel
(A look of relief on his face, he smiles briefly and continues on towards the dining room.)
My trip was a bit rough. Wasn’t sure the boat was going to make it over, but it did. (He approaches a chair) May I sit?
Peter
(Nodding)
Go ahead, you can sit. May I get you a beer, wine, or something else?
Samuel
(He looks up)
A beer would be good, thank you.
(Peter pours the beer and hands it to him. He takes it.)
Samuel
Thank you.
Peter
You’re welcome
(Ruth walks over to Peter and Sam. She begins to speak)
Ruth
Dinner is ready. You may both come in and sit.
(Peter nods, and motions to Samuel to come along.)
Peter
Thank you dear.
Ruth
(Somewhat annoyed)
Don’t mention it.
(Now we see the group assembled at the table for dinner. It looks just like a Norman Rockwell painting, complete with snow falling outside.)
Samuel
Peter, was your father pissed at you for not going to the Hamptons this year for Thanksgiving?
Peter
(A big smile appears on his face)
Nah, he wasn’t too mad, although he’ll try to get my mother to visit him.
Samuel
(Laughs)
Hah! That would be something. Two bitter former lovers looking at each other across an empty table! (He continues laughing) What about you Ruth?
Ruth
My family, oh my family would probably be either beating my younger brother and sister, or celebrating the holiday alone. Although the b***h that is my stepmother probably still doesn’t know what the hell Thanksgiving is.
(All of them laugh in an uproar, because it’s true.)
Peter
(Laughing)
That is very true, well, she is from England. The queen they have over there probably doesn’t know left from right, so she must also pass on that to all of her subjects. Your stepmother Ruth; is an idiot, and you know, I’ve seen some ditzes in my day.
Ruth
(Blushes)
Sam, have you met my family?
Samuel
I’ve met your father. Your stepmother, not so much, but from what I’ve heard, she’s rather thick.
(He laughs, she begins to laugh)
Ruth
It feels nice cutting her down. She always wanted me to be a proper woman. Hear me out now; if I have children, I will not raise them like that monster raised me.

(By now dinner is finished. Peter gets up from the table. He gets his coat and hat.)
Ruth
Where are you going Peter?
Peter
The office, I have to write a report on this storm.
Ruth
But on a day like today Peter?
Peter
Yes. I’ll also be there tomorrow.
(He walks out the door. Now Samuel faces Ruth)
Samuel
Do you know how much I’ve wanted you Ruth? I think about you every single day.
Ruth
I know I have to get out of this marriage. Sam, you will help me do this, even if it makes us run the risk of being caught. I love him, but I’m not ready for him.
Samuel
What then, makes you so sure that you’re ready for me?
Ruth
You’re so relaxed, and you speak softly. I knew when I saw you that you would be mine.
Samuel
That’s a pretty big thing for you to say. For a moment I thought that your corset took your words away. Say, why don’t you come to Philadelphia with me? You can say that you’re visiting your parents out of social obligation.
Ruth
What if I’m caught?
Samuel
Then tell him goodbye. You still love him, but the marriage wasn’t working out. He’ll take it hard I’m sure.
Ruth
I’ll do it.
Scene 2
Peter sits in his office. Drinking a glass of port and smoking a cigar. He turns on the radio to its lowest setting. The phone is nearby, and he picks it up. He dials his father up.

Peter
Hello dad Happy Thanksgiving.
Peter Senior
(On Phone)
Likewise.
Peter
Listen, I think Ruth is cheating on me. I can’t prove it though. Just thinking about it breaks my heart that’s been burned so many times before.

(Just then on the radio, the voice of Bruce Springsteen comes on. In the script it will be in bold italics)
Woke up this morning, the house was cold, checked the furnace she wasn’t burning.

Peter Senior
What makes you say that?
Peter
Well, whenever Sam comes to visit, she gets all giddy and excitable. I need to know something dad; when mom divorced you, was it for the reasons she said?
Went out and hopped in my old ford, hit the engine, but she ain’t turning.

Peter Senior
Yes, yes it was. I was not a good man to her. She clearly deserved someone better than me.

Peter
I wouldn’t say that. You were married for quite some time.

Giving each other some hard lessons lately, but we ain’t learning.

Peter Senior
Yes, we were, but there was a lot you didn’t see. I never hated her.

Peter
I understand. Listen, I’ve got to go. I have a report on this snowfall that I’ve got to finish. It was good talking to you.

Well, same sad story, that’s a fact. One step up and two steps back

(Now he gets up to leave. He’s thinking about going to a bar downtown. He walks down Orange Street. He enters the bar.)

Bartender
What’ll you have?

Peter
I’ll have a Star Lager please.

Bartender
Alright then.

Bird on a wire outside my motel room, but he ain’t singing.

(He thinks of his wedding)

Peter
(Quietly)
Ruth.

Girl in white outside a church in June, but the church bells, they ain’t ringing
Bartender
Are you okay sir?
Peter
Yes.

I’m sitting here in this bar tonight, and all I’m thinking, is I’m the same old story, same old act.

Peter

I’ll have a shot of Jack please

Bartender
All right.
One step up and two steps back.
(He pays for his drinks and tips the bartender. He leaves to go back to his office. Where he begins thinking to himself about his marriage.)
Peter
God, I want out of this marriage. We aren’t ready.
It’s the same thing night on night, who’s wrong and baby who’s right
Peter
(He sits at his desk.)
I have only had one argument with her.
Another fight and I slammed the door on another battle in our dirty little war
Peter
I just hope she isn’t having an affair. That wouldn’t look good. It would make me look bad.
When I look at myself I don’t see, the man I wanted to be.
Peter
I feel derailed.
Somewhere along the line I slipped off track
Well, I guess I’ll sleep here tonight.
And we call it one step up and two steps back.
(The next day, we see him at the same bar he was at the night before)
Peter
I’ll have a star lager please
There’s a girl across the bar, I get the message she’s sending.
Bartender
Okay then.
Peter
Thank you
Mmm, she ain’t looking too married. Me, well honey I’m pretending.
(Peter then goes back off into a dream)
Last night I dreamed I held you in my arms, the music was never ending. We danced as the evening sky faded to black.
Peter
(To himself)
Ruth, I love you so damn much.
One step up and two steps back
(He leaves the bar, and heads back to Orange Street where he sees two familiar faces exiting his office. They are Ruth and Samuel. In the song, there is one last guitar solo. This is where it will play.
Peter
(To himself again)
Ruth no. No, this can’t be happening.
(In the song, Bruce hums to himself. This will be in the background, Peter turns and walks back down Orange Street.
He walks away. Ruth watches him.

Last edited by Ackman on 15 Jun 2010, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 5:26 pm

Tell me what you think,

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 2:06 am

Ahh! The layout after scene two got really confusing. You failed to italicize and underline the characters as they said their lines.

I really like how you voice and word the lines though! I had fun skimming.

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 7:54 am

Ferdinand wrote:
Ahh! The layout after scene two got really confusing. You failed to italicize and underline the characters as they said their lines.

I really like how you voice and word the lines though! I had fun skimming.

I'm going to edit it. I copied and pasted from my MS Word onto here. I guess it doesn't know how to keep the format.