Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 11:20 pm

When I lived in Montana, we had more of them. Here, it's rare.

As a kid, I used to sit and watch them when we be in Montana visiting. One time we drove all the way back from Missoula after we got done eating at Pizza Hut and the storm lasted the rest of the way back and lasted maybe a few more hours and then it blew over. At home in Washington, it was rare and I would watch them too when they came. Sometimes they scare me because of the sound.
My parents still live in Montana where they get to enjoy the storms but my brother's dog is afraid of them. I saw glimpse of one when I was there last month.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 11:25 pm

I miss thunder storms, rarely any in So CAL....cant wait for them again :) .

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 4:10 am

whenever the lightning and thunder happen, i unplug the tv from the antenna atop the tree behind my tin can, and unplug the computer from the phone line, close the windows, and stay in the center of the room, indoors until the storm passes. otherwise, i like the way lightning brilliantly lights up the skies and ground all around, and i like thunder's reverberant basso rumbling. i have a CD of thunder i like listening to.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 11:59 am

Ferdinand wrote:
Lightning is so beautiful. One day, I was driving home from a graduation party and it was night. Every so often, the sky in front of us lit up like nothing else. It was absolutely beautiful. I am completely fascinated by this. Who else is?

I enjoy a good Light Show from nature.

ruveyn

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 12:48 pm

I love to watch lightning... with an almost unhealthy obsession, and anytime of day or night. 8)

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 2:01 pm

the Sky is the Unlimit topic

Forked lightening looks like neurons firing. Beautiful. I have never seen a rainbow and lightening in the sky together. Lab Pet is lucky.

Be careful being outside during lightening strikes. 8O

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 2:19 pm

I love watching storms! *blitz*blitz* (best word, has this sound and electricity in it)

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 12:28 am

Tonight was my first confirmed experience of seeing positive lightning and knowing it for what it was. :) It went all the way from the anvil to the ground, and was visible at a MUCH further distance than cloud-to-ground normally would be. Very impressive experience!

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 9:02 am

SoSayWeAll wrote:
Tonight was my first confirmed experience of seeing positive lightning and knowing it for what it was. :) It went all the way from the anvil to the ground, and was visible at a MUCH further distance than cloud-to-ground normally would be. Very impressive experience!

You can also tell the age of a thunderstorm cell by watching the lightning and listening to the thunder. Recently formed cells tend to have quick flashes and short "concussive" claps of thunder. Older more mature cells with extensive anvils tend to have a lot more pulsing/flickering lightning with lots of soft rumbling thunder in between the sharper claps. With really large storms that are congealed from a multitude of cells the lightning can spread and flicker in forks extending 10 miles or more horizontally. When a really large horizontally forking discharge high in the cloud connects with the ground there's often a really deep boom that rattles the windows.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 3:15 pm

I love watching a good juicy thunderstrom.

My best thunder expereince was one night looking out the window of the lab, I saw a flash of thunder and all the power in the town went off. Then I saw the lights in twon come back on in about three different blocks as the reclosers in the substation reconnected the power.

That was quite a experience.

I also once saw a direct hit on a tree which was about 20 to 40 meters away from me. By chance I was looking almost stright at the tree when the thunderbolt hit the tree. I felt the wave of compression as well as seeing and hearing it.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

16 Jun 2010, 9:04 pm

im scared of it. im rather fond of fire agate though, wich has a lightning quality about it if you get AAA grade material, 8)

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 10:42 pm

richardbenson wrote:
im scared of it. im rather fond of fire agate though, wich has a lightning quality about it if you get AAA grade material, 8)

Alaska is rich in agates! About that "lightning quality," is that what's meant in reference to a reticulated stone?

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 11:08 pm

Lightning is awesome, but at the same time I have trouble with it because I have a major problem with flashing lights and things of the sort.

It's sometimes OK if I'm actually focusing on and watching a storm, but if I'm focused on something else (i.e., driving) and I see it flash out of the corner of my eye I feel like my head is going to explode.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 12:25 am

Here's some good youtube videos of lightning. :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYy3BbRwW1s&feature=related[/youtube]

This one is kind of scary.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw_uE5NR7_0[/youtube]