Genetics to Solve Why Ozzy Osbourne Is Still Alive

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 2:31 pm

NewsCore wrote:
The mystery of why rocker Ozzy Osbourne is still alive after decades of drug and alcohol abuse may finally be solved, reported The London Sunday Times.

The 61-year-old former Black Sabbath lead singer is to become one of only a few people in the world to have his full genome sequenced.

In addition to giving Osbourne information that could help prevent diseases, it is hoped the results will provide insights into the way drugs are absorbed into the body.

Before he reformed, Osbourne survived decades of substance abuse and bit the head off a bat while intoxicated on stage — he had to have rabies jabs afterwards. He has a genetic disorder similar to Parkinson’s disease, was committed to a mental institution and broke his neck in a quad bike accident after which he was placed in a chemically induced coma.

“Sequencing and analyzing individuals with extreme medical histories provides the greatest potential scientific value,” said Nathan Pearson, director of research at Knome, a Massachusetts company that will map the singer’s genome using a blood sample.

The first full genome was sequenced in 2003 after 13 years of work. Today, analyzing a genome takes three months and costs about $40,000.

On reading the Playboy interviews with John Lennon done shortly before his assassination, I changed my opinion of Yoko Ono because John made it very clear that had it not been for his relationship with her, he would almost certainly have died of a drug overdose or drinking accident in the early 70s. And after all the bitterness and bile he expressed through his music during that period (in spite of the lofty sentiments of 'Imagine', he was also writing diatribes like 'How do You Sleep'), he seemed genuinely happy - as if he'd found, after all, that mystical quality of love he'd been singing about for years. My guess is, Ozzy's survival is also the result of something more powerful than himself...

:o SharoOoOoooOOooOOoOonNnNNn!! !

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 4:10 pm

Jake the Snake and Iron Sheik have also had decades of drug abuse but they're still alive..........

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 4:38 pm

If they really want to find how genetics can make a human survive massive amounts of substance abuse, they should be testing Keith Richards.

Bill Hicks wrote:
Drugs are bad, drugs are so bad - yeah, if drugs are so bad, how come Keith Richards still walks? Explain that Mr. Surgeon General! You never mention Keith do you? A little hole-in-the-theory there...

Surgeon General says "Drugs are bad, drugs are evil!...except for that guy, they work real good for him, - but the rest of you...

Keith Richards is shooting heroin into his eyeballs and still touring, all right! I'm getting mixed signals! I picture nuclear war and two things surviving: Keith and cockroaches!

"Where did everybody go-o? I saw a bright light - I thought we were on ..."

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 4:49 pm

Ozzy is our God... He simply cannot die.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 6:07 pm

Ozzy's still alive for the same reason Magic Johnson is still alive: money. I mean, come on... he broke his neck and was put in a chemically induced coma, and came out of it fine? If that was someone who wasn't rich, he'd most likely just lay there on a respirator and if he happened to not die then maybe his insurance would cover part of the cost of his wheelchair.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 10:17 am

On the Osbournes he said he'd most likely die from tripping on the carpet :lol:

Anna4077
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2010, 3:56 am

Willard wrote:
If they really want to find how genetics can make a human survive massive amounts of substance abuse, they should be testing Keith Richards.

Bill Hicks wrote:
Drugs are bad, drugs are so bad - yeah, if drugs are so bad, how come Keith Richards still walks? Explain that Mr. Surgeon General! You never mention Keith do you? A little hole-in-the-theory there...

Surgeon General says "Drugs are bad, drugs are evil!...except for that guy, they work real good for him, - but the rest of you...

Keith Richards is shooting heroin into his eyeballs and still touring, all right! I'm getting mixed signals! I picture nuclear war and two things surviving: Keith and cockroaches!

"Where did everybody go-o? I saw a bright light - I thought we were on ..."

Keef is The Man! :wink: He'll outlive everybody,including Ozzy.