Page 1 of 13 [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next


Can the belief of the existence of a supreme being ever be proved?
Yes 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 20 ]
Of course, I am the living proof! 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Only if Invisible Pink Unicorns can also be proved 20%  20%  [ 14 ]
Look around you! the evidence of an intelligent designer 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
God is the universe and the universe is God 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
AG is a strident semi-god 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
I can't say, perhaps tomorrow we can prove it 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I am not sure 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
All of the above 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
None of the above 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Half of the above 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
other 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
View results 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 70

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,915
Location: Home

14 Jun 2010, 5:40 pm

Evidence Please? :P





well, the other thread was about wether you believe in God, now this is not about mere belief but rather about providing either evidence (physical) or ontological proof (and wether these actually prove something) or any other kind of proof or wether there can't be any proof at all.

I recognize that this thread most likely may end up useless, but I did it anyway.


_________________
?Everything is perfect in the universe - even your desire to improve it.?


Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,316
Location: Omnipresent

14 Jun 2010, 5:47 pm

Well..... I'd have to say that it is logically possible that a proof could exist for a "supreme being", and that it is also possible that repeated physical evidence of such an entity could lead us to eventually accept something like this. However, I'd say that in this world it is not possible that "God" will be shown to exist, simply because many of the notions have been shown to be incompatible with what we perceive and incompatible with their own internal notions, and even further, such a being very likely doesn't exist, and a non-existent being cannot *really* be proved to exist.



Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,926

14 Jun 2010, 5:55 pm

Probably not, given what an uneconomical assumption it would be to make and our ability to construct a general outline of nature without evidence to its tamperings.



Flair
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2010
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 69

14 Jun 2010, 6:42 pm

greenblue wrote:
Evidence Please? :P





well, the other thread was about wether you believe in God, now this is not about mere belief but rather about providing either evidence (physical) or ontological proof (and wether these actually prove something) or any other kind of proof or wether there can't be any proof at all.

I recognize that this thread most likely may end up useless, but I did it anyway.
Aw how cute making a thread to further address your insecurities.



Sand
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Age: 93
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,876
Location: Finland

14 Jun 2010, 6:49 pm

The existence of a superbeing with unknown powers would be important if evidence is revealed that certain incidences or phenomena required its existence. So far this has not occurred although religious people will claim otherwise.



greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,915
Location: Home

14 Jun 2010, 8:21 pm

Flair wrote:
Aw how cute making a thread to further address your insecurities.

I do have another question though, how to kill straw-men.
And yes, I believe I'm cute, thanks.

In any case, I know this thread may not have been needed and likely may be considered a lame duplicate of the other thread. On the other hand, it addresses proofs of proposed truths rather than just beliefs, so your assertion of "insecurities" is completely irrelevant.


_________________
?Everything is perfect in the universe - even your desire to improve it.?


Flair
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2010
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 69

14 Jun 2010, 8:24 pm

greenblue wrote:
Flair wrote:
Aw how cute making a thread to further address your insecurities.

I do have another question though, how to kill straw-men.
And yes, I believe I'm cute, thanks.

In any case, I know this thread may not have been needed and likely may be considered a lame duplicate of the other thread. On the other hand, it addresses proofs of proposed truths rather than just beliefs, so your assertion of "insecurities" is completely irrelevant.
Then why post it?



greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,915
Location: Home

14 Jun 2010, 8:32 pm

Flair wrote:
Then why post it?
greenblue wrote:
it addresses proofs of proposed truths rather than just beliefs


_________________
?Everything is perfect in the universe - even your desire to improve it.?


Flair
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2010
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 69

14 Jun 2010, 8:38 pm

greenblue wrote:
Flair wrote:
Then why post it?
greenblue wrote:
it addresses proofs of proposed truths rather than just beliefs
That doesn't change the fact that you are spamming the forum.



greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,915
Location: Home

14 Jun 2010, 8:41 pm

Flair wrote:
That doesn't change the fact that you are spamming the forum.

If you believe that I am just spamming the forum PM a mod.


_________________
?Everything is perfect in the universe - even your desire to improve it.?


Flair
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2010
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 69

14 Jun 2010, 8:43 pm

greenblue wrote:
Flair wrote:
That doesn't change the fact that you are spamming the forum.

If you believe that I am just spamming the forum PM a mod.
I could but we both now you are smart enough to know better (unless I am giving you to much credit I hope I am not).



greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,915
Location: Home

14 Jun 2010, 8:58 pm

Flair wrote:
I could but we both now you are smart enough to know better (unless I am giving you to much credit I hope I am not).

I wasn't giving you any credit hence why I asked you to PM a mod.


_________________
?Everything is perfect in the universe - even your desire to improve it.?


greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,915
Location: Home

14 Jun 2010, 9:18 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Well..... I'd have to say that it is logically possible that a proof could exist for a "supreme being", and that it is also possible that repeated physical evidence of such an entity could lead us to eventually accept something like this. However, I'd say that in this world it is not possible that "God" will be shown to exist, simply because many of the notions have been shown to be incompatible with what we perceive and incompatible with their own internal notions, and even further, such a being very likely doesn't exist, and a non-existent being cannot *really* be proved to exist.

well, the issue seems to be not only about the existence of a supreme being but also the nature of it to add to its mere existence, and I pressume that few ontological arguments don't work because of logical problems within in them, and that , apparently, if I stand correct, seem to make the pressumption of a certain nature of God, such as a personal entity and most likely anthropomorphized, which seems that those issues are not directly addressed in them.

Quote:
However, I'd say that in this world it is not possible that "God" will be shown to exist, simply because many of the notions have been shown to be incompatible with what we perceive and incompatible with their own internal notions,

well, I would say it would depend on which God we refer to, as in this case, it seems to refer to the personal christian god, however, considering the variety of ideas of the nature of God, how possible or improbable, compatible or incompatible that could get according to our preconceive reality?


_________________
?Everything is perfect in the universe - even your desire to improve it.?


SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 623

14 Jun 2010, 11:45 pm

A Methodist perspective here--not sure what poll option best fits this response.

If looking for proof through science and strict observation of the material universe--I say "no." Science was never intended to do so, nor, conversely, was religious literature intended to be a scientific treatise. (And when people on EITHER side cross these lines it irks me.)

If experiential evidence--the nontransferable experiences we have that cannot be measured but only known to the individual are included--is included, then I believe we can come closer.

In the end, I believe that we are given free will and that the preservation of said free will means that our will is not simply overridden...that we are given the freedom to make a decision.

So even by that definition, 100%, beyond-the-shadow-of-a-doubt proof will not be given in this life. I believe we can make our best extrapolation, and always continue pushing to understand better and better, but we will not have 100% proof in life.


_________________
Official diagnosis: ADHD, synesthesia. Aspie quiz result (unofficial test): Like Frodo--I'm a halfling? ;) 110/200 NT, 109/200 Aspie.


countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2008
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 445
Location: Massachusetts

15 Jun 2010, 3:35 pm

No, that is what faith is. Belief, not knowledge. Please stop trying to mix apples and oranges here.