Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2006, 1:55 am

Here is an odd addiction, and I'm wondering if there is anybody else that has it. I am somewhat of a masochist when it comes to eating, and I am literally addicted to hot peppers. Like, there aren't too many people I know who would dare to chew down a raw jalapeno.

There was once this hot dog vendor many years back, and I had to be about six or seven years old, and this dude sold "macho dogs." A macho dog, if you don't know, is a hot dog with mustard, relish, and topped off with some hot peppers. It tasted really good, and I found myself addicted to hot food after that.

Now, I eat everything hot. I add hot pepper sprinkles to soup. I prefer potato chips red hot. I even found myself opening the refrigerator many times, staring at how peppers and having to open the jar and gulp one down.

It gets a bit stranger. About seven years back or so, I found myself in Tijuana. They all love hot food down there. This waiter served us nachos with dip that was supposed to be extra hot. Well, my parents don't eat hot food like I do, so it was mostly left to me. I gulped down nacho after nacho, and the waiter came over and asked me how I could eat all that so fast. I just told him, "I don't really know. It's like I've eaten hot food all my life, and it's just does not seem as hot as it used to." This was from a Mexican who must himself love hot food.

- Ray M -

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2006, 5:08 am

The green pepper (chili) should contain more than the green pepper (sweet version).

The green pepper (chili) should also contain more vitamin C than an Orange, when comparing of 100grams of both.

But since it's not "practical" to eat green pepper (chili) (since you'll breath fire a bit like a fantasy dragon), people prefer taking their vitamin C from Oranges.

Source: http://nat.crgq.com/mainnat.html called "NATS2" nutrition database.

Tiktaalik
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Apr 2006, 5:52 am

Hot peppers own my heart. I'm looking forward to winning many a bet in college.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2006, 9:00 am

I have a major addiction to hot peppers. In fact, I can eat fresh jalapenos (the ones that are bright green, and not pickled) without drinking anything. I don't even drink that much soda after a habanero.

Tim

psych
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2006, 12:39 pm

I think they contain trace levels of nicotine, but not as much as tomatoes.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2006, 4:46 pm

I like steak sauce.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2006, 5:25 pm

I don't know if sauces fit the bill of this conversation but I've been a bit of a high-scoville junky myself lately. I remember at a party about 2 months ago I freaked some friends with Dave's Insanity party stunts. I also went to a local bar and grille which is regionally famous for its 150,000 scoville atomic wings - supposedly if you eat 6 of these things they have something like a wall of fame where they'll post your picture. I was there with some friends from my accounting classes and decided to order 2 of them just to see how they were, and even though I was looking pretty messed up for the next 10 or 15 minutes I still had fun, they actually had flavor which is rare for stuff like that, and I'm thinking of going up their again with a few other guys who say they know they can do it. What really surprises me is that the sauce I had on those wings is almost twice as hot as Dave's which is only 80,000 scoville and yet Dave's packs a front-end punch that most other hot sauces I've tried don't.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

WooYayHooplah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2006, 6:31 pm

peppers aint hot - he is weird lookin'

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2006, 6:58 pm

I used to be always addicted to hot peppers. I used to eat them right out of the jar that they come in. I just got tried of eating them. Something in me wasn't into eating it. I guess that was Depression taking away that things I enjoyed.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2006, 4:56 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I don't know if sauces fit the bill of this conversation but I've been a bit of a high-scoville junky myself lately. I remember at a party about 2 months ago I freaked some friends with Dave's Insanity party stunts. I also went to a local bar and grille which is regionally famous for its 150,000 scoville atomic wings - supposedly if you eat 6 of these things they have something like a wall of fame where they'll post your picture. I was there with some friends from my accounting classes and decided to order 2 of them just to see how they were, and even though I was looking pretty messed up for the next 10 or 15 minutes I still had fun, they actually had flavor which is rare for stuff like that, and I'm thinking of going up their again with a few other guys who say they know they can do it. What really surprises me is that the sauce I had on those wings is almost twice as hot as Dave's which is only 80,000 scoville and yet Dave's packs a front-end punch that most other hot sauces I've tried don't.

Yeah. Sauces fit the bill, though I'm not wild about things like buffalo sauce. There are some really hot sauces, such as Mad Dog and Inferno, that are like the hottest things you can find. There's even things like "Ass-Kickin Relish," which is ultra-hot. One drop of Inferno or something similar will make an entire bowl of chili hot. It's sort of true, because I used it already.

- Ray M -

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2006, 5:26 pm

http://www.chez-williams.com/Hot%20Sauce/hothome.htm

Did you mean the Inferno made by Mad Dog? If so I just looked at that and it's 150,000 - not bad. I'm sizing up another sauce site and the Blair's 2AM and 357 Magnum are looking kinda tempting. As for anything much passed the million mark - I really don't know, unless your making a 200 gallon vat of chile I think I'd have to call that weapon's grade...

(edit - woah, I take that back...what's with these sites? Another says Dave's Insanity is just 51,000 and that Inferno stuff is only 89,560)

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

edgey123
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2006, 7:36 pm

For a while I enjoyed eating hot pickled chili's. I had read somewhere they gave you a natural high and Bumped into someone else who liked chili's as well, at the moment I enjoy a bit of watercress :)

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 2:32 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
http://www.chez-williams.com/Hot%20Sauce/hothome.htm

Did you mean the Inferno made by Mad Dog? If so I just looked at that and it's 150,000 - not bad. I'm sizing up another sauce site and the Blair's 2AM and 357 Magnum are looking kinda tempting. As for anything much passed the million mark - I really don't know, unless your making a 200 gallon vat of chile I think I'd have to call that weapon's grade...

(edit - woah, I take that back...what's with these sites? Another says Dave's Insanity is just 51,000 and that Inferno stuff is only 89,560)

It's possible. I bought a few of these and forget exactly who makes them. I like to shop at auctions and flea markets, because they're like so cheaper on everything. In such places, a lot of this stuff tends to be sold. I have no idea what the numbers are supposed to mean, though I'm assuming they represent some sort of intensity scale for hotness. Then again, I didn't look at the site to find out.

A 200-gallon vat of chili? Well, I don't make that much chili. I'm talking just a small bowl, not even a full pot of chili.

Another good one, though harder to find, is the Datil-Do-It, made with the datil pepper from somewhere, I believe, in either central or south America.

- Ray M -

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2006, 5:01 pm

Well, I just got that MadDog 357 in the mail and tasted it - hmmm, not as rediculous as I'd hoped. I guess my next purchase probably will be Blaires 2AM.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 1:25 am

I'm not as addicted as the rest of you folks, but I am quite fond of pickled jalapenos, jalapeno pizza, hot salsa, and five-alarm chili.

I think eating hot peppers is a lot like stimming...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2006, 1:31 am

I really enjoy spicy food, but i'm not addicted to it.

Its pretty good for you too! My favs are really hot mexican stuff.