Ever had any NTs make fun of your interests...

Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 11:28 am

Yes, whether it has come from my mom or sister but, there has been other people outside my family that seemingly take me to be some sort of eccentric nut and all.. :x

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 12:56 pm

I've been harassed and made fun of my people who supposedly had the same intrests as me. I was horribly cyber bullied and discrimaited against on a message board for supposed Lion Kings fans. Lion King is one of my chief special intrests.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 2:57 pm

I've been made fun due to the fact, I like Horror/Sci-Fi/Fantasy films and books along with the fact, I due have also interest in comics and anime but, these days it's not as active nor profound.Anyways, I try not to say much about in such areas for I feel I'll be tormented in some way..

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 3:04 pm

It makes total sense. How else do you think NTs all end up with the same typical interests? The bully each other into it.

I've been ashamed of my special interest ever sense I was 11. My dad said it was Satanic. He forced me to burn all my best friends D&D Books I was borrowing.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 4:08 pm

I think my brother and sister are starting to catch on that my interests are a lot more intense than interests should be. And my half NT/half not brother has obsessions himself, so when he asked me why I'm so into apes at the moment I said, "it's the same thing as when you play your megaman games, that excited feeling you get when you talk about them" and he was like "oh yeah". But now my bro and sis keep telling me to shut up and my sister gave me a lecture on the fact I need to train to be a primatologist before I get there, then she was lecturing me about Africa being dangerous so if I went there to observe apes and so on loads of things could happen to me. My sister's hilarious sometimes.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 4:24 pm

Yeah, my sister :roll:

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 4:50 pm

I got briefly trolled on a messageboard once - I was a moderator on a rather large messageboard for musicals and my non-confrontational stance rubbed the trolls the wrong way. The trolls started their own messageboard for musicals and restricted membership and openly made fun of the moderators of the site I was on. Someone got access and then posted what they were saying about us. They said they wanted to shove me into a locker. Very mature. It didn't bother me that much because the trolls were bashing all the moderators. It was quite a show.

That's the only experience I've had of musical theatre fans turning on their own. In my experience, theatre people are pretty accepting of differences. Most of them are pretty weird, too. :P

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 4:55 pm

Nah, but I don't talk about them very much. Just when someone brings up something I'm interested in during a conversation, I always have to butt in and add something so they will know more about it.

It seems like (to me, anyways) with today's adolescents/young adults, it's 'cool' to be into obscure bands, movies, stuff in general. It's cooler to be into Pink Floyd than Brittany Spears. Cooler to like Pulp Fiction then whatever new romance-comedy is out. So, weird and nerdy interests aren't so weird and nerdy anymore. But, 'immature' and 'creepy' interests are still seen as weird.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 6:31 pm

Rakshasa72 wrote:
It makes total sense. How else do you think NTs all end up with the same typical interests? The bully each other into it.

Which makes me think there's another angle to look at this question from. But we would need NTs or those who don't identify themselves as very Aspie in this particular way to answer the question. (In my case this is probably my strongest Aspie-like trait, followed by the sensory stuff, so I really cannot speak for NTs in that respect.)

If the bullying didn't happen, would we see NTs opening up more about things that would seem more like an Aspie's special interests? There are times I find myself almost having to comfort/coax someone into being willing to engage on certain subjects--and sometimes I find that they're a lot smarter/more interesting than they appear. It's just that they are afraid to show it.

Quote:
I've been ashamed of my special interest ever sense I was 11. My dad said it was Satanic. He forced me to burn all my best friends D&D Books I was borrowing.

He didn't even let you return them? How inconsiderate and mean. Even if I had kids and I didn't like something they brought home from a friend's place, I would make then return it instead of going and destroying something that belongs to someone else!

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 7:04 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:
Rakshasa72 wrote:

Which makes me think there's another angle to look at this question from. But we would need NTs or those who don't identify themselves as very Aspie in this particular way to answer the question. (In my case this is probably my strongest Aspie-like trait, followed by the sensory stuff, so I really cannot speak for NTs in that respect.)

If the bullying didn't happen, would we see NTs opening up more about things that would seem more like an Aspie's special interests? There are times I find myself almost having to comfort/coax someone into being willing to engage on certain subjects--and sometimes I find that they're a lot smarter/more interesting than they appear. It's just that they are afraid to show it.

Quote:

He didn't even let you return them? How inconsiderate and mean. Even if I had kids and I didn't like something they brought home from a friend's place, I would make then return it instead of going and destroying something that belongs to someone else!

I have said many times before it all comes down to social status; that's what's more important to them than anything else. Why do you think PSAs don't mean anything to them? They know they can't live up to any of it; they just preach about it, but what really matters is what their friends think of them...and usually those friends are corrupt as hell, yet a lot of people like those corrupt-as-hell people.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 7:25 pm

Rakshasa72 wrote:

I don't agree with the premise of this statement actually. I don't think NTs end up with the same typical interests.