Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 12:05 pm

I followed a link on a web page and it brought me to a page with this message:

Quote:
Error Occurred While Processing Request

Error Diagnostic Information

ODBC Error Code = S1000 (General error)

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query.

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFQUERY), occupying document position (15:6) to (15:59).

Date/Time: 06/16/10 23:39:25
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en; rv:1.9.0.15) Gecko/20080528 Epiphany/2.22 (Debian/2.26.3-2)
Remote Address: 71.174.146.80
HTTP Referer: http://www.campusnut.com/ptest_result1.cfm

Kind of weird that they were telling me this, as if I can actually fix the problem. And they got my browser wrong; I was using Epyphany, not Mozilla. But the thing I found odd was that it seems to suggest the web site was using Micro$oft Access as its database. I thought, WTF? Why? Access isn't a real database; it's much less powerful than a database that's run from a command line. Databases that come in office suites are not meant for hosting web sites. If they insist on using a Micro$oft product, they should use SQL Server.

Am I right in interpreting the error message this way?

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2010, 12:46 pm

I think Epiphany runs on Mozilla.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 1:27 pm

Very strange indeed.

Same error.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 2:46 pm

MS Access isnt a "true" database no, but they are not using the office software to run it. The webserver (Most likely IIS with Cold Fusion ontop) use it through a DB Driver, as MSSQL Server would be used.

True, it is slower but MSSQL Server is also a slow P.O.S. unless you have the hardware for it. You can still build solutions around Access that give you a very good performance, but it that takes a good coder, and the people who do webbstuff that i have run into are average uni educated people that spend more time tinkering with CSS and JavaScript than with database design/performance.

And yes, the error could be easily fixed, but no - not from your end.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 11:08 am

Jookia wrote:

The version of Epiphany he has does run on Gecko (same engine as Firefox), but the new versions of Epiphany are Webkit-based.

So LotM, you're running Lenny now?

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 1:48 pm

Orwell wrote:
Jookia wrote:

The version of Epiphany he has does run on Gecko (same engine as Firefox), but the new versions of Epiphany are Webkit-based.

So LotM, you're running Lenny now?

I'm running Knoppix, which is basically Debian (that's probably why it showed up as Debian), but it's not exactly the same thing. For example, if you try to install it on the hard drive, it has problems, where as the main sequence Debian works just fine on the hard drive.