Page 5 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2011, 2:50 am

The Autistic Black man needs to be released from the mental institution.

I believe that the police officer was on a power trip.

this reminds me of an incident when a student at my school got suspended for talking back to a principal. Actually no, he got suspended because he did not answer her questions. Which is perfectly acceptable according to Canadian Law. It sucks because the student is the director for both the school plays. Way to go vice-principal.

MsMom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2011, 10:20 pm

Nosirrom,

You are exactly right. Unfortunately, he has been released from the mental institution. He is back in jail spending his days in isolation. It's just so sad.

Dnex
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Feb 2011, 9:51 am

Have you contacted the NAACP or ACLU or any other civil rights organiztions?

NelisMom
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Mar 2011, 6:37 am

My son Reginald Latson was found guilty and sentenced to 10 years on Friday.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 11:42 am

:wall: Guilty of what? Existing?

This must be so awful for both of you. I know there's nothing I can say that would make this any better, but...

NOT A DOCTOR

chinatown
Toucan
Toucan

06 Mar 2011, 2:52 pm

This happened recently on the Finnish version of Cops: a young immigrant and some older white men had a verbal argument, one of the white men called the police saying the young man was carrying a weapon. They found no weapon, obviously, and the white man soon admitted to making up the part about the weapon. The young man was understandably upset at first, but what are the dispatchers and officers supposed to do? Decide it's probably a false alarm because it was reported by whites and the suspect is not white?

If Neli was an NT, the situation would've probably played out like the one above, so one could claim it went as far as it did because of his emotional problems.

Quote:
Lisa said her son complied with a search, which failed to find a weapon. Police say Neli "attacked and assaulted the deputy for no apparent reason."

Neli told his mother that the school officer threatened him, and that Neli said "You're harassing me. You're not allowed to do that. I know my rights," then turned and walked away.

Quote:
Multiple deputies had responded to the area as a result of a call of a suspicious man with a gun in the area.

So you're saying the "School Resource Officer" (is that the same thing as a police officer?) didn't find a weapon, yet he reported that there was a suspicious man with a gun in the area? Did the officer later confirm that he was allowed to conduct a search and found no weapon? Did Neli tell the officer he was harassing him and walk away only after a search? I have a hard time believing that a poorly adjusted autistic man would comply to a search in the first place.

Quote:
The family struggled to find appropriate school placement, finally settling on a private school. "The public high school was crowded, with about 30 kids to a class. Neli wasn't getting the attention he needed, and his self esteem was slipping." But he had never been in serious trouble. Never like this.

That's what they all say. The other kid started it, no one saw what really happened, he hasn't done anything like that before, my son just stood on the side of the plank that was placed over the man's torso while the other kids jumped on it... I don't doubt that autistic children and teenagers struggle at public schools, but he did clearly struggle and got himself in trouble.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone by saying this, but maybe things would work out better if someone looked at the situation for what it is? It's a tragedy, yes, but also the sum of events.

As I've mentioned before, my sister is 28 and has the mind of a 4-year-old. Once when she was leaving a store with my mom the alarm went off (that thing at the counter that makes a horrible beep when you walk by it with not just anti-theft tags but also electrical wires, library books, strollers and other things). She got scared and refused to stop. Mom told them she's disabled, but they kept saying she needs to return. She eventually walked through the gates for the second time. While I know how scary that was for her, what is the personnel supposed to do? What ways are there to approach developmentally disabled people in these situations, and how could we educate people on how it should be done?