Abraham wrote:
I'm sorry. :(

:)

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 6:25 pm

Kiley wrote:
I loved it, especially the institution joke. While his voice might not be the prettiest sound I've ever heard I think he's done really well for a guy who started out not speaking at all with a poor prognosis. I really like the positive message. It's all about your choices and what you make with what you've got.

I'm so proud of his parents, and NT classmates who have treated him so well and appreciated him for who he is. That's how it's supposed to be!

:hail: :hail: well said

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 6:50 pm

Abraham wrote:
And he bobs his head while reading just like a Hassidic Jew. :?

So????? Totally unnecessary remark.

(As a factual aside: I've heard that the movement assists with memory. Which makes you wonder, might the earliest scholars have learned it by example from someone with an ASD, and discovered that it worked for them too? Totally unsubstantiated theory, but it would actually be pretty neat if true. :) )

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 7:15 pm

Great speech. It was witty and sweet but I guess that means another autistic person/aspie to add to my envy list. From that newstory, it seems like he had it good growing up: a good support systems and teachers who knew their stuff...

He mustve gone to a really awesome school to become salutatorian of an NT class. ENVY!! !

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 7:21 pm

I liked his speech.

His delivery wasn't perfect (I am an accomplished Toastmaster who has won awards for public speaking). However - just because someone has a smooth, pleasing voice, good eye contact and an comfortable way with rate and pause doesn't mean that they have anything particularly interesting to say or that they best represent the spirit of the graduating class. This young man DID have something interesting to say and he DID represent the spirit of the graduating class.

He may not make it as a professional speaker - who cares. He did great and I hope he does great things in the future.

melbi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 9:25 pm

*emotional Melbi*
well done!! !
I love the speech and very proud of him!

Melbi made a very short speech (about 1-2mins) in high school grad due to academic achievement, and it was no where as good as his.

It is not easy to make a speech in front of so many people and video camera, even for some NTs, so well done!! !

opal
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 4:49 am

I liked his speech (ie what he said) . as for his speech ( how he said it) it was a bit monotone, and he did look down a lot, but I do that a bit too, though I have improved a bit over the years with practice; so I am really not one who should criticise. :oops: I did not find his voice offensive, put it that way.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 2:29 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:
Abraham wrote:

So????? Totally unnecessary remark.

(As a factual aside: I've heard that the movement assists with memory. Which makes you wonder, might the earliest scholars have learned it by example from someone with an ASD, and discovered that it worked for them too? Totally unsubstantiated theory, but it would actually be pretty neat if true. :) )

Lol I thought that actually wasn't that offensive, the 'tard one was though. :P

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 5:20 pm

Abraham wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
I find his voice irritating.

Me too. He sounds like a 'tard.

God, you'd think being bullied by NT's for being different would be bad enough, never mind being insulted by people with the same condition.

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 5:22 pm

Abraham wrote:

That's ironic coming from someone called Abraham.

Abraham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2010, 5:23 pm

No, Hassidic Jews really do bob their heads like that when they're studying their law books.

Also, orthodox Jews often bob their heads against the Holy Wall in Jerusalem while uttering prayer.

I also used to know a young gay man who wasn't AS but bobbed his head, flapped his hands, was interested in trains, etc.

I'm not particularly hot on head bobbing.

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2010, 5:38 pm

I wish that I could of got that type of media attention growing up. I am happy to see people with autism and AS shown in a positive light though.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 5:42 pm

passionatebach wrote:
I wish that I could of got that type of media attention growing up. I am happy to see people with autism and AS shown in a positive light though.

i agreed 100%

Abraham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2010, 5:43 pm

The guy was really brave to do that speech. I could never have the courage to speak in front of a bunch of young neurotypical people. (Unless I was saying something rude to them)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 5:57 pm

MONIQUEIJ wrote:
Abraham wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
I find his voice irritating.

Me too. He sounds like a 'tard.

and you sound like a jerk

:shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou:

I couldn't have said it better, myself.

Abraham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2010, 5:59 pm

I said sorry. Should just have kept it to myself.