Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2010, 11:45 pm

Is it normal for an autistic to go into meltdown mode after not getting their way? This happens to me at least several times a month.

Abraham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2010, 11:47 pm

That's called a temper tantrum. Very small children do it quite often.

ADULTS on the other hand - compromise, swear, coerce, or otherwise use a whole range of tactics to try and get their way over others.

Meltdowns are bad for everybody. Calling somebody an a-hole for not letting you get your way - at least it makes you look like you've got some courage.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 12:03 am

I never get my way so I have to say no to that theroy.

I only have meltdowns when I have been screwed over.

Abraham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2010, 12:12 am

Todesking wrote:

Having a meltdown is dysfunctional. If you need something, TAKE IT - or die trying!

Particularly for men ... having a 'meltdown' will pretty much ensure that NT guys will never respect you again.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 12:49 am

Abraham wrote:
Todesking wrote:

Having a meltdown is dysfunctional. If you need something, TAKE IT - or die trying!

Particularly for men ... having a 'meltdown' will pretty much ensure that NT guys will never respect you again.

I'm glad that you have so much self-control and the ability to take control of situations, but some of us don't have that luxury.

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2010, 12:53 am

I agree. When it comes to situations that induce meltdowns, I have a hard time keeping them in. Sometimes I succeed, but usually I don't.

Abraham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2010, 12:55 am

If I'm about to 'melt down', I'll pop a benzo, then tell the people who are oppressing me to go to hell.

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2010, 1:34 am

Benzos don't help for me. I had a prescription for Xanax for anxiety and tried taking it when I was in a meltdown. Didn't do anything to slow down or stop the meltdown.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 2:16 am

My meltdowns usually involve me punching something or someone. I cannot afford a prison sentence it would drive me insane being locked up. Something tells me I would have plenty of meltdowns in a prison environment.

cazzie2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2010, 4:47 am

a meltdowns to me i namal end up thow something namal my phone a cross the room.... :( :? and then end up sitting on the floor in tears then endp swar a lot or often say thingsthat i dont no what i said intill hours later,then i feel so sad and low afterards

it often can lead to me getting upst just over something stuiped like somebody saying something the wrong way...

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 5:54 am

I'm not prone to meltdowns. Also, as a child my parents and grandparents let me do pretty much whatever I wanted, so I almost always got my way and if I didn't, it was easy for me to see why it wouldn't be a good idea for me to do whatever. As an adult, no one really tells me what to do, so I don't have to contend with that much.

Instead of meltdowns, when I get overstimulated I have to go into a dark room alone, lie down, shut my eyes and cover my ears.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 6:36 am

I have meltdowns if someone is being spiteful or doing something I think is unjust and hurtful (uh, especially to me... :) ) Or if I'm feeling stressed and overwhelmed and I have nowhere to retreat to. But not from not getting my way, that I can ever recall.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 6:58 am

dt18 wrote:
Is it normal for an autistic to go into meltdown mode after not getting their way? This happens to me at least several times a month.

Generally, yes. Children anyway, and adults who are lower functioning. Especially those who are non-verbal I think.

Though I don't think it is any more appropriate for an adult with AS or HFA to have a tantrum for not getting their way than it is an NT.

There is a such thing as self respect and consideration for those around you.

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2010, 7:07 am

happymusic wrote:
Instead of meltdowns, when I get overstimulated I have to go into a dark room alone, lie down, shut my eyes and cover my ears.

This is true of me too.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 8:44 am

I used to do that alllllll the time until I was like 14. You have to just kind of stop caring and try not to have an opinion about what you want to happen. (Don't plan ahead, let other people choose, and just think that, whatever happens, something about it will be good or beneficial.) That way you won't be upset about whatever happens. That's what finally worked for me. :3