22 Jun 2010, 3:07 pm

Ichinin wrote:
OrbiterSim
http://www.orbitersim.com/

if you download it, also get OrbiterSound and the WarpdriveMFD:

http://orbiter.dansteph.com/index.php?disp=d
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2297

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Y0ihfhY1o[/youtube]

A flight simulator for rockets, nice. In that video, did I also see a simulation for the Orion space capsule? It almost makes me feel sad that they want to cancel the Constellation Program. Great pity.

Thatmew
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 7:56 pm

Warzone 2100 A rather fun and futuristic RTS brought back from the dead.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 3:27 am

Jono wrote:
A flight simulator for rockets, nice. In that video, did I also see a simulation for the Orion space capsule? It almost makes me feel sad that they want to cancel the Constellation Program. Great pity.

Its more of a very detailed physics engine with a 3D interface that was originally written for simulating payloads being launched into space, and it is probably used as such somewhere, but most treat it as a space flight sim. It is not the most beautiful game, but it is fun for us space geeks.

The game (the pre 2010 version) came with the Delta Glider and the Shuttle, the rest you have to download from Orbithangar or AVSim. Regular airplanes that you can DL are not simulated that well, i took an F16XL into space(!).

The texture packs for planets are quite large (gigabyte sized NASA images iirc) but they are worth the download.

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 5:15 pm

Oh definitely Dwarf Fortress. I play with the graphics modset version.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 6:12 pm

Since this thread seems to betting popular, I'll post a few more freeware games that I liked. Here are the links to the websites of AGDI and Infamous Adventures, the made fan-made VGA remakes of King's Quests I & II and III respectively:

http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

http://www.infamous-adventures.com/home/index.php?page=games.

AGD also made a VGA remake of Quest for Glory II. With regards to Infamous Adventures, I hope the Space Quest II VGA remake comes out soon.

By the way, if you look around on their website, you'll find that Infamous Adventures have finally revealed what their secret project, formally known as Project X, is about. It's a game based on the King's Quest novel called Kingdom of Sorrow.

I don't often make threads that get a lot of replies.

alone
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2010, 8:54 pm

This is a great thread!! !! please keep posting more

Aurora IS hard!! !! fun for sure

:)

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 8:57 pm

I'm having fun with Spelunky at the moment, it's pretty tough trying to get to the end with all that treasure, so far I've only gotten to level 5 without dieing.
What's great is that all the levels are randomly generated so it's always different.

Edit; Also Trackmania Nations is free on steam.

TJW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2010, 4:50 am

Shake and Fidget.

Its webbased game where you do quests for exp and gold. you can use the gold to lvl up.

at start you get 15 mushrooms and 10 from email confirmation

use the 25 mushrooms then go to stables and buy the dragon/griffin depending your side of race

so you can quests at 50% faster speed

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 1:50 pm

TJW wrote:
Its webbased game where you do quests for exp and gold. you can use the gold to lvl up.

Ah, that reminds me, I've been playing a bit of Kingdom of Loathing lately.

It's a lot different from the last time I played it.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 3:53 pm

I've seen some nice examples. I don't have any more myself at the moment but keep them coming.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Aurora IS hard!! !! fun for sure

Let me know if need help with anything at all. It isn't an easy game to learn but it gives you such a vast scope and so many differnt strategies and design methods you only really learn by trail of fire (actually building things then sending them off)

If it helps on the official board I uploaded my games database for the game author to have a look at. I go under the same username as here its in the academy section of the Aurora messageboard titled "NPR BEhaviour" it was a game i'd played for 150+ years i put it up because the game had generated 19 AI empires some of which were absolutely huge and it made my CPU number crunch like no tomorrow to processes what was happening in the game world.

It would be worth looking at my ship designs for examples. Though my only decent warship design is my emperor class battlecruiser. But theres loads of various utility designs that are helpful to have (like tugs, salvagers, fuel harvesters, tankers, colliers (ships that carry reloads for missile launchers), maintainence ships, carriers etc)

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 6:56 pm

These technically arn't "freeware" games there indie developer games but a lot of them are going for extremly cheap prices on the steam summer sale at the moment

Top 10 indie games website

I can vouch that AI War fleet command is an awesome strategy game in that list, fascinating AI.

You basically start out as a tiny insurgent movement on the edge of the galaxy. You have to slowly assemble and build up your resources. If you move too swiftly or you are "noticed" by the AI race which represents a big oppressive galactic empire (sort of like star wars) the AI will come at you with overwhelming force. Your seen as more of nusiance or will only get the odd patrolling fleet attack you unless you directly attack or amass your forces near key installations or planets.

Also theres a 4x RTS game known as Distant Worlds that came out 2 months ago. Theve done a good job to have huge real time galaxies consisting of 1600 star systems.

Distant Worlds Website

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MExA3XwBeyk[/youtube]

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 3:45 pm

Laz wrote:
These technically arn't "freeware" games there indie developer games but a lot of them are going for extremly cheap prices on the steam summer sale at the moment

Top 10 indie games website

I can vouch that AI War fleet command is an awesome strategy game in that list, fascinating AI.

You basically start out as a tiny insurgent movement on the edge of the galaxy. You have to slowly assemble and build up your resources. If you move too swiftly or you are "noticed" by the AI race which represents a big oppressive galactic empire (sort of like star wars) the AI will come at you with overwhelming force. Your seen as more of nusiance or will only get the odd patrolling fleet attack you unless you directly attack or amass your forces near key installations or planets.

My initial idea for this thread was for people to provide examples of good freeware games so that others can download them. If those games are really cheap then I suppose they'll do.

Laz wrote:
Also theres a 4x RTS game known as Distant Worlds that came out 2 months ago. Theve done a good job to have huge real time galaxies consisting of 1600 star systems.

Distant Worlds Website

I like RTS's especially if they involve a sci-fi story line. That's why I like Starcraft. However, I'll have to watch that video tomorrow evening because I can't do it now and it's late at night where I'm living.

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 4:59 am

The Chzo Mythos.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 5:20 am

That Distant Worlds looks like it could be interesting.

The year is still young.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 2:12 pm

Jono wrote:
Laz wrote:

Distant Worlds Website

I like RTS's especially if they involve a sci-fi story line. That's why I like Starcraft. However, I'll have to watch that video tomorrow evening because I can't do it now and it's late at night where I'm living.

Looks interesting. Is that like Pax Imperia?