Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 5:13 pm

azurecrayon wrote:
what is this mythical "NT" everyone talks about? i think a lot of people actually mean non-asd when they say nt.

statistics show in the US in any given year about 26% of adults suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder. that means 1 out of every 4 people you run across are not nt. that doesnt even touch the geeks, nerds, and little-bit-freaky people that arent diagnosable because they dont meet all the criteria.

i think the vast majority of people have something freaky going on. maybe not diagnosable, maybe it only touches one aspect of their life or personality. but can they truly be called nt? i see nt as referring to society as a whole, rather than to individual people. typical simply means within the range of an accepted norm. so while the majority of people may think neurotypically about various things, it doesnt mean the majority of people are neurotypical.

for instance, take 4 people who by majority think dogs bark, cows moo, grass is green, and the sky is blue. one of them, lets call him bob, thinks the sky is red while the rest think its blue. bill on the other hand thinks cows quack. fred is sure that dogs meow. and martha is boring and has no original thought. the sky is blue by neurotypical standards as thats how most perceive it, dogs bark, cows moo, and grass is green. so while we can say those are neurotypical thinking patterns because thats how the majority perceive things, the majority of people, 3 out of the 4, were not neurotypical individually.

at least thats how my accusedly nt, self diagnosed ocpd, socially dysfunctional but not asd brain sees things.

They are considered NT,. Anyone not on the spectrum is NT, even epileptics by most definitions. That sounds crazy to me but this is what I'm told. Many kids have neurological disorders are still considered NT. People do fail to realize that many NT people have mental illness and problems in general, though. Being NT doesn't make them immune to anything.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 8:18 pm

Decepticon wrote:
I suspected an attack on Nerotypicals would lead to these conclusions.

I do not subscribe to the view that Aspies require social training. I would rather be the the real me than live on my knees and mimic nerotypical behaviour. But that is just me...

Thanks for the various input.

Speaking as one with one foot in and one foot out (a "neuromutt"...I like that word...I think I'm going to keep it ;) ), I kind of experience both sides depending on what the situation or trait in question is. I only officially have ADHD and synesthesia...I might fit the PDD-NOS criteria since there's more going on than just that, but do not think I would meet the AS threshold (whatever that really is). Whatever the case, this is the kind of post where I am very much wearing two different hats at the same time. So, remember that this opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it (which is $0.00 ;) ).

I think the main issue is one of education. I truly think that a lot of NTs just think they understand ASDs and related conditions, but they don't know what they don't know. In the cases of those who are good people and who really try to understand, I think their inability to relate, or to know the right questions to ask (unless they are very well educated on the subject--and even then not always) means they they don't really understand how they're being perceived, why what they are doing seems offensive. Also, not having firsthand experience to know the upsides firsthand, and to know what it would be to be a person with an ASD who feels they are living a rewarding life, I think that some are too quick to see--and only focus on--things that seem like or may be negatives (as the case might be for each individual).

So, just as people with AS might not relate to NTs, I think the same thing is working in two different directions.

And one other thing to remember. Jerks are a universal constant. Whether NT or ASD or otherwise, I have found that jerk-ism knows no boundaries.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 10:34 pm

MotownDangerPants wrote:
azurecrayon wrote:
what is this mythical "NT" everyone talks about? i think a lot of people actually mean non-asd when they say nt.

statistics show in the US in any given year about 26% of adults suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder. that means 1 out of every 4 people you run across are not nt. that doesnt even touch the geeks, nerds, and little-bit-freaky people that arent diagnosable because they dont meet all the criteria.

i think the vast majority of people have something freaky going on. maybe not diagnosable, maybe it only touches one aspect of their life or personality. but can they truly be called nt? i see nt as referring to society as a whole, rather than to individual people. typical simply means within the range of an accepted norm. so while the majority of people may think neurotypically about various things, it doesnt mean the majority of people are neurotypical.

for instance, take 4 people who by majority think dogs bark, cows moo, grass is green, and the sky is blue. one of them, lets call him bob, thinks the sky is red while the rest think its blue. bill on the other hand thinks cows quack. fred is sure that dogs meow. and martha is boring and has no original thought. the sky is blue by neurotypical standards as thats how most perceive it, dogs bark, cows moo, and grass is green. so while we can say those are neurotypical thinking patterns because thats how the majority perceive things, the majority of people, 3 out of the 4, were not neurotypical individually.

at least thats how my accusedly nt, self diagnosed ocpd, socially dysfunctional but not asd brain sees things.

They are considered NT,. Anyone not on the spectrum is NT, even epileptics by most definitions. That sounds crazy to me but this is what I'm told. Many kids have neurological disorders are still considered NT. People do fail to realize that many NT people have mental illness and problems in general, though. Being NT doesn't make them immune to anything.
The term "neurotypical" is overly broad and inaccurate when trying to describe non-autistic people, because there are atypical non-autistic neurologies.

It would make more sense that neuroAtypical would be used to refer to people with unusual neurologies, and that a more specific term, like "socioistic" would be used to describe people with non-autistic neurologies.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 6:59 am

matt wrote:
MotownDangerPants wrote:
azurecrayon wrote:

The term "neurotypical" is overly broad and inaccurate when trying to describe non-autistic people, because there are atypical non-autistic neurologies.

It would make more sense that neuroAtypical would be used to refer to people with unusual neurologies, and that a more specific term, like "socioistic" would be used to describe people with non-autistic neurologies.

But that's not the term people use. There's "neurodiverse" to describe ADHDers and people with other neurological disorders but they are still technically NT, as are many epileptics.. I think it's kind of silly, I don't really understand why they wouldn't be called neuroatypical either. See my pot about ADHDers being called NT.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 12:44 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
History repeats itself...

I have nothing against NTs. Maybe it's because I've been friends with NTs who accept me, the way that I am, today. Just me. Shelby Anne Munro aka Mick Avory. 8)

I agree with your perspective :) You can't generalize any group's intentions. Group polarization might lead to people thinking narrowly when in a cluster, and it makes everyone seem like-minded. Deindividuation and all that. The mainstream subscribers to political parties tend to be moderate. You can't look at the ultra conservative leaders and think that those ideas are professed to the same extent by every member. Not everyone with "typical" brain structure and chemistry is set on persecution. There are so many neurotypicals who work in the neuroscience domain trying to learn about ASD. I'm not opposed to learning about things like.. why other girls go to the bathroom in groups :| ..etiquette books do help, to an extent.