Life's first ever rejection: feels so right!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

bloodshot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2010, 3:57 am

I'm in my 20s and just few weeks back I finally asked someone out for the first time. It felt like plunging headfirst off a waterfall, as I forced the words out before she got out of the car.

It was a very polite rejection, followed by a thoughtfully detailed message response few days later. I felt only one thing on my mind as I was driving home:

So. Damn. Good.

It was nothing like I anticipated. The adrenaline rush made the whole thing felt like I just had a vaccination shot.

That's how I would summarize the whole experience: you feel vaccinated, and it makes you feel more alive than any other activity you've ever tried. Cannot. Wait. Next. Attempt!

Give it a go if you haven't so!

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 4:07 am

haha i knowww.

some people just don't realize that you actually don't have much to lose by asking.
and then just end up never asking because they're paralyzed by fear.

it's like ripping off a band-aid, git 'er done

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 4:07 am

and the adrenaline rush, don't even get me started :D

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 10:02 am

My first rejection didn't make me feel alive at all... in fact that was the moment that I "broke", as it were. Rejections don't produce the same adrenaline rush that you mention, in fact it's one of the most sickening feelings describable. After my first rejection I was under suicide watch for something like 3 years. It was the first real bad experience I had, and thus introduced to me my mind's tendancy to play bad moments over and over again like a broken record. Maybe if that first rejection wasn't a rejection, or if I wasn't so naive to think it might actually work, I could have avoided all that and turned out better today. On the other hand, I emerged from that 3-year period more mature for it, so truth be told I'll never know...

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 10:55 am

Yeah, baby! Rack 'em up. Feel the force! What doesn't kill one makes one stronger.

bloodshot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2010, 1:36 pm

Sorry to hear about your experience Toad. You'd have to be in a mature and stable state of mind when you attempt to express love I suppose. I can imagine if I had tried this 3 years ago, it would've been a complete opposite reaction.

Moog - if only everyone can subscribe to that philosophy, depression wouldn't exist.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 12:00 am

I know not what actual rejection is. Only pre-emptive rejection.

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2010, 2:12 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
It was the first real bad experience I had, and thus introduced to me my mind's tendancy to play bad moments over and over again like a broken record.

My brain does that to me too, and it just is so indescribably annoying. And I always used to react to rejection the same way, I wouldn't say for quite as long as you do, but I would always feel horrible and depressed afterwards.