Deleted topic (That I deleted, not the mods)

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 5:04 pm

Hope no one was replying to a post I made a little bit ago called "Cure vs 'Dealing with it'"

It was kind of a "soap box" type post, and nothing more than my own conclusions on the subject, not really open for debate, so I decided it was probably more appropriate as a blog entry.

I deleted the thread, and moved it to my blog if anybody's interested:

My Blog

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Last edited by MrXxx on 24 Jun 2010, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 6:49 pm

Don't the rules say you're not allowed to talk about deleted topics?

(That's probably a really Aspie thing to say here.)

NOT A DOCTOR

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 7:13 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:

Only if the moderators deleted it. I deleted that one myself.

It is possible to delete your own posts as long as no on has yet replied to them. Look for a little "X" in the upper right of your posts. If it's there, you can still delete it. If it's gone already, it's too late, because it's already getting replies.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 7:15 pm

I changed the subject line to clarify that. :wink:

Wuffles
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2010, 7:26 pm

i didn't realise that there WERE moderators. some of the threads have been so offensive that i assumed there were none.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 7:31 pm

Oh yes, there are. But there are only so many. They do their best, but also try to balance "free speech" in their decisions.

Don't forget, this is population that is prone to offense, me included. None of us are perfect.

If they simply deleted anything and everything that offends a few people, there would be a LOT of posts being "nuked,' and not a whole lot of constructive discussion.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 8:07 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:

LOL. I think that was taking the rule too literal. I never thought about it's wrong to talk about your own topics you deleted.

What threads have been offensive Wuffles? Those teaser threads?

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 10:46 pm

Wuffles wrote:
i didn't realise that there WERE moderators. some of the threads have been so offensive that i assumed there were none.

the mods don't necessarily read / catch everything. you can write to them if you think someone has gone too far and they will appreciate the effort and check it out. list of mods is somewhere in the wrongplanet.net discussion subforum.

i have only done this when something really terrible occurs. (repeated homophobic remarks for example, and very obvious / obscene trolling)

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 11:41 pm

Wuffles wrote:

Hiya! If you ever have anything that bothers you then you should PM one of the moderators. Our names can be found in the Wrongplanet.net Discussion forum in the Moderation Attention thread.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 11:43 pm

There ya go! :D

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 3:18 am

So this would be rather like the time in third grade when I couldn't understand why the teacher didn't call some kids out for a truly minor offense that everyone did all the time.

Well, what did you expect to find on an Aspie site?

NOT A DOCTOR

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 8:25 am

I deleted the original post in a thread that people had responded to once.

It was turning into a real blood bath, heavily negative (yes,..............imagine that on WP) so I torched it.

It felt so GOOD torching that thread and making the flamers' comments even more redundant than they already were.

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2010, 9:11 am

Wuffles wrote:

As others have said, there are a small number (four or so) of moderators and a massive number of posts. WP does not use a pre-moderation or heavy-handed approach to moderation. But it also is not the Wild West - there are ground rules and they are taken seriously.

The moderators have a huge task on their hands, and can use the help of the posting community at large. In general, if the existence of a thread to which you are not party offends you, usually it is best to simply click elsewhere. If you believe you have been personally offended, then you can PM a moderator to bring it to his/her attention. You should use discretion doing this - it is usually best to let petty or less-than-egregious offences slide unless they are recurring. Many times the "offence" is unintended and even unknown to the offending poster, so perhaps a first response should be a respectful and conciliatory notification that you were offended. You'd be amazed how many problems are ended straight away by taking this posture.