Babies don’t feel pain, If they die early enough.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 1:27 pm

I remember having a conversation about with a workmate with me killing a sick fox. Sitting on the road in a fit, it apparently been there for an hour. I used my car to run it over, if I had a gun though, I would have shot it. It would be a waste of valuable resources for the NSCA help it. For me, it would be like calling the paramedics to heal a dying rat, all the waste of petrol and manpower.

My workmate one of the reason why it was wrong to kill it is because I actually took the act of murdering him. Opposed to it being taken care of by someone else out of my view. Such as meat slaughter houses where animals are imprisoned all its life then slaughtered.

Why is it supposed to be more socially expectable to kill when it is not visible.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 5:59 pm

Small minds believe that "what you don't know won't hurt you"

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 7:11 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
I remember having a conversation about with a workmate with me killing a sick fox. Sitting on the road in a fit, it apparently been there for an hour. I used my car to run it over, if I had a gun though, I would have shot it. It would be a waste of valuable resources for the NSCA help it. For me, it would be like calling the paramedics to heal a dying rat, all the waste of petrol and manpower.

My workmate one of the reason why it was wrong to kill it is because I actually took the act of murdering him. Opposed to it being taken care of by someone else out of my view. Such as meat slaughter houses where animals are imprisoned all its life then slaughtered.

Why is it supposed to be more socially expectable to kill when it is not visible.

Your car runneth over topic

I replied to you before on this, AC. When you see a animal half dead on the road, call Animal Control(or whaever it is called in your country) and they will deal with it. You may not have a rabies problem over there but animals can do other nasty things to you. Best to let the authoriities manage situations like this. 8)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 7:21 pm

Why is this in this section? And what does babies have to do with dead foxes?

I couldn't understand the last sentence of your post because it was worded weird, it didn't make sense. If I were in that place, I would have called the shelter. I may have shot it if I had a gun, depending on how the fox looked.

I probably would have given it a painkiller and taken it up to the vet (I realize that's a dumb thing to do, but I'm likely to do that sort of thing when it comes to animals).

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 7:44 pm

Yeah, the fox thing seems to be more related to euthanasia than.... abortion?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Jun 2010, 12:27 am

Ya, I don't know where you're going with this. Running over and animal to kill it is pretty gruesome though, I would of let nature taken its course.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 1:28 am

I'd say it was suffering and you did the right thing - no doubt it took some stomach and will-power but as you likely know that's just part of the difference between childhood and adulthood, the first assumes innocence while the later takes on such responsibilities that one would prefer not to if given the choice.

On another note with slaughterhouses though - that's confused me too. My parents would never hunt, my dad always discouraged me from it, and yet we still eat plenty of burgers and chicken. I've wanted to, for several years, go hunting with some friends and shoot the deer, field dress it, do all the dirty work myself at least once because I realize that every time I eat meat someone else is technically doing something similar or more likely many people each with a piece of the process. To accept that responsibility is owning your right to your burger, to deny it on moral grounds I think is to give yourself no excuse not to be a vegetarian.

edit: revisiting the name of the topic - don't see the connection? Motives are entirely different. With killing a sick animal its mercy, with killing for food its killing for food, with removing a fetus its occasionally the mothers life, more often an issue of financial or personal exigence.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 2:03 am

Running over the fox was the right thing to do, but depending on the type of 'fit' it was having, I hope you washed your car with a gallon of bleach afterward. My area gets a lot of rabid foxes in the summertime - there were more than two dozen locally last year - and I'd be afraid to do what you did for that reason. I think I'd probably call the police and ask them to shoot it from a distance.

Wrt eating meat, I don't. Specifically for the reasons specified above.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 3:23 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:

Next time you get ill, do you want the NHS to just go and shoot you? It'd be a waste of resources not to, after all.

What makes humans any more special than other animals anyway? Humans are horrible creatures.

I am also utterly disgusted that people think slaughter houses are OK. I guess it's like the old saying, "one death is a tragedy, millions of deaths is a statistic"

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 10:20 am

What does this have to do with babies and not feeling pain.... :?

Haven't you discussed this before AC.... :?

Oh and I take it, you're not very fond of animals or else you'd be ok in the matter of an animal being saved rather than destroyed.... :?

I think I'd be ok with this issue if only the animal did not suffer and was used as means of natural resource. Other than that, I think I'd have to agree with sartresue, you should probably call animal control. You might hurt the poor thing before getting hurt yourself and that would be bad. :(

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 11:03 am

MissConstrue wrote:
What does this have to do with babies and not feeling pain.... :?

Haven't you discussed this before AC.... :?

Oh and I take it, you're not very fond of animals or else you'd be ok in the matter of an animal being saved rather than destroyed.... :?

I think I'd be ok with this issue if only the animal did not suffer and was used as means of natural resource. Other than that, I think I'd have to agree with sartresue, you should probably call animal control. You might hurt the poor thing before getting hurt yourself and that would be bad. :(

Attention grabber topic

AC probably just wanted to rerunover the fox thing.

Perhaps the death of babies under the age of two years might not harbour the same feelings in people, as most humans have no awareness of their life before the age of two. But babies do feel pain. They cry when they are hurt, hungry. And if they are hurt badly enough, like the fox, they are just breathing and unreactive to outside stimuli.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Quartz11
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 11:12 am

Asp-Z wrote:
What makes humans any more special than other animals anyway? Humans are horrible creatures.

Superiority complex, plus technology to pretty much be the top of the system of life.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 4:29 pm

The OP deals with animal euthanasia, yet the title is about infants dying somehow.

Are you implicitly trying to connect your anecdote on killing dying foxes to (human) infantile euthanasia?

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 10:15 pm

"babies" does not equate to "human babies"

A baby fox is a baby fox.... It's still a baby. I'm not sure if it was what was intended, but it was my understanding that the mix of the title and OP meant that he was implying the fox was a baby, hoping to ease his consciousness for the killing of it.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 2:44 pm

any born vertebrate, with the possible exception of some fish, is sufficiently developed to feel pain.