has anybody here done creative writing?
do you like it? :D

thanks
cazzie :)

izmyaspieshowin
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jun 2010, 4:06 pm

Yeah, I love writing. I have written a few things, a short story, some poems for my wife, done a fair bit of blogging (creative at times) and other writing too. How about you? :)

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 4:43 pm

My degree is in English (Creative Writing concentration) and I have had many poems published and one short story. I'm working on getting a collection out.

I don't spend much time writing, not as much as I should given my ambitions. If you want to be a good writer, you need to write every day, but I think in my case I get pulled away from it too easily by whatever interests me at the moment and if it's not writing, well, then it goes ot the bottom of the in box.

Overkill
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jun 2010, 6:35 pm

I was a creative writing major at college, but decided to switch to writing and rhetoric. One of the reasons I switched was because I became alienated with the way the teacher taught creative writing at my school. Rather than letting us write about what we want, she put somewhat strict guidelines on our assignments to the point where much of the fun was sucked out of it. That doesn't mean I didn't like any of my time in the creative writing program, but it kind of alienated me from wanting to do it in my own free time after that. Plus, I realized that fiction writing isn't something I'm particularly strong at, which is why I think a better fit for me would be non-fiction writing.

I'm aware that many other colleges have less strict guidelines about what to write about in their creative writing programs compared to mine, so I'd be interested to hear what some of you guy's experiences were.

I don't really write everyday even though I should. I get lazy, but I still enjoy writing. I just tend to get bogged down in other things when I have free time.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 8:11 pm

I write creative non-fiction. After years of trying to write fiction, I've finally come to the conclusion that I miss too much of the social nuances in life to be able to write convincing fiction.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 8:56 pm

I love to write! I'm actually trying to write a fantasy book...unfortunately I'm in a massive state of writer's block at the moment. :evil:

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 9:07 pm

So far, it only works out properly in my free time, if even.

But they do not have me

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 3:27 am

I took a semester of Creative Writing during my senior year of high school. I loved that class. The teacher was really cool and the students were fun. I also managed to write a number of things which I was particularly proud of, one of which the editor of the school's literary magazine convinced me to submit to be published.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 4:16 am

I always like doing creative writing in English, I get B's in it usually.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 9:07 am

Sparrowrose wrote:
I write creative non-fiction. After years of trying to write fiction, I've finally come to the conclusion that I miss too much of the social nuances in life to be able to write convincing fiction.

haha... When I wrote fiction my instructor complained that my characters were all action and no feeling. I thought they had plenty of feeling, in my opinion, but instead of listening to it over and over, I changed my concentration to poetry.

Kat7789
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2010, 11:07 pm

I tried to take a creative writing class this last year (my high school sophomore year) but I found that I didn't really sit well with being told what to write, when to write, and how to write it in a creative writing class.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 1:29 am

Favorite subject! It was super easy for me, and I enjoyed it, even if the teacher was a bit dull.

Three years!

Bells
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jul 2010, 9:57 am

I took an Independent Study for extra credit in HS for 4 years in Creative Writing as well as workshops. I was in charge of the literary magazine. I ended up publishing 2 chapbooks with a group of people Senior year. It was a refuge in HS and, while I still really love it, I honestly wouldn't pursuit because prospective careers are rather...limiting.

That said, I hope you enjoy your class! It really was something enjoyable for me.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 2:29 am

I enjoy it sometimes. I recently took a fiction course as a humanities elective, and turned out what I (and the majority of my classmates) thought to be a pretty good story. I might post it up sometime in the art forum.

I could have had it published in the campus paper, but I chose not to since my story deals heavily with racism and generalization, and I didn't want people to get the wrong idea of me.

Greensmith
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jul 2010, 10:57 am

I do quite a bit of writing. In the last creative writing class I took at university, nobody- including my prof- knew I had Asperger's. So it was interesting to hear their feedback. With one of my stories, my prof said it was "emotional, but distrustful of emotion". That not only fairly summed up the story, but it describes me as well.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 5:40 pm

Yes I have. I major professional writing and minor in literature so I love writing of all kinds except for poetry. :D