does ur AS child talk a different language

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

elepots
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jun 2010, 12:19 am

hi i am AS and so is my son i have noticed a lot of parents feel that ther AS child is talking another language and that they dont seem to understand you when your trying to explain things,well i hope this will help,I think with pictures some words have them and some dont picture words are words that are solid things like house and stop(stop sign) dog,cat,all of them sorts of things,words that don't have picture are words like the,if,do,did,and,(there are plenty more) when someone is talking to me the only thing i pick up are the picture words my brain doesn't recieve the nonpicture words,what im saying is next time you are talking to your AS child and they don't seem to understand try writing down only the picture words and see if it makes sense to you,will see that it makes no sense at all and that is what your AS child might be trying to decipher,maybe you and your AS child could find or make symbols for the nonpicture words and that might help.i will give u an example of how i recieve a sentence:Can you go and get some chocolate,what i would recieve is a picture of a person walking and a block of chocolate,now imagine if thats all th info you recieved every time someone spoke to you,i hope this helps.if its confussing PM me and i will try to explain it better.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 8:08 am

One of the prerequisite factors for diagnosing AS is not having big issues or delays with language. I do have a son with dysgraphia and AS but apparently that didn't preclude the AS diagnosis, I think it's more at how he handled spoken language they were looking at.

If your child is struggling in that way you might have the wrong diagnosis. There are other learning disabilities that can be misdiagnosed as spectrum issues and affect language more profoundly or a person might have PDD-NOS and another learning disability. You might want to take your child to someone more knowledgeable about learning disabilities who can tell the difference. It's not that one diagnosis is better than another, but getting the right one means your child has a better chance at getting the right therapies which will be most helpful.

Good Luck!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 1:51 pm

I don't think at this time there is a lot of consistency in how the language issues are interpreted for an AS diagnosis. It used to be that a delay meant HFA; no delay AS; if all other things were equal, but I think many now feel that distinction is too artificial.

Personally, I don't think the labels matter beyond what they can do to help everyone understand the child.

Many AS kids do think in pictures so the idea of using a more visual method of communication could help some of our parents. And many of our parents aren't sure what label their kids should have, but come here for input, anyway. So ... Thanks for the idea, elepots.

elepots
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jun 2010, 3:51 am

there isn't a delay its how our brain interprets the words some words have pictures and some don't our phsycologist believes that this is a big part of AS and she is an AS expert who deals with AS more than anything else she is a big follower of Tony Attwood who is the EXPERT in australia.i will give another example of what i mean if you say stop my brain produces a stop sign if you use a word like AND i can not associate that word to any images in my memory index hope this clears it up