Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2004, 1:20 pm

So far I haven't really let loose with the kinds of rants that I send to my friends....Well. HERE YOU GO!! !! ENJOY!! Here's my quick summary of Christmas...AKA: Buymas.

It all starts right after the kiddies have empied their pillowcases full of Halloween treats to count them all up.

The TV and radio stations begin to emit a huge, inflated BS fest.

Buy this, buy that, buy this, buy that, buy this, buy that, buy this, buy that, buy this, buy that, buy this, buy that, buy this, buy that!! !!

And then the kids say: We want this and we want that and we want this and we want that and we want this and we want that and we want more more more more!! !! !! !! ! Buy us everything we want!! !! !!

And then the ads say:

buy from us!!...
NO!, BUY FROM US!! !
But we offer lower prices!! !
BUT WE OFFER BETTER WARRANTIES!! !
we will match anyone's lowest price!! !
WE HAVE A LARGE SELECTION OF DISCONTINUED ITEMS WITH SPECIAL LIQUIDATION ITEMS!! !!
come to our store and see "Santa Claus" and tell him everything you want!! !! ! Chances are, your parents will buy from us and make us rich!

BUY FROM US AND MAKE OUR EVIL CORPORATION THAT PAYS PEOPLE PEANUTS, PROSPER SO WE CAN TAKE OVER OTHER SMALLER COMPANIES THAT PAY THEIR PEOPLE ALMONDS. EVERYONE WILL BE REDUCED TO WORKING POOR AND WE WILL DRIVE OUR BMW's and SUV's HOME TO OUR LOVING YUPPIE FAMILIES SO THEY CAN OPEN UP ALL THEIR PRESENTS AND WE CAN SIP CHAMPAGNE AND LISTEN TO CHRISTMAS MUSIC.

(This does not reflect entirely on my view of Christmas, this is only a rant that shows my disgust for what most people (especially NT's) take it for.)

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2004, 1:30 pm

The only thing I ever wanted for christmas was the lego technics auto chassie set.

It was $99 (back in 1988) and my parents instead got me a revel model 350 V8 engine kit. None of the parts fit quite right since they were made in four different countries. My parents ended up throwing it out after he couldn't get a refund for it at the toy store. The manager there was nice and let my dad get some legos for me on store credit.

My parents also got me a tasty bake oven that year (you may laugh if you want)....

There's a picture of me with it that I'll post up here when I get the chance to. You can just see the enthusiasim dripping off my face. (please note sarcasm)

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2004, 1:33 pm

lol, absolute zero, good ranting.... spot on :P

dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Bruno
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Dec 2004, 2:02 pm

Those evil corporations pay engineers and other people responsible for creating products very very well and sales people in stores are also payed reasonably well for the position they hold. Especially when you compare their pay with billions of people in third world countries who can barely feed their children.

Buying is good for the whole economy, it's much better when you have such a good economy and nice stores full of great products and people with money to buy them than living in a country with a horrible economy, poverty and hungry people. Maybe when you would think through about this entire process throughly you would realize it is worth of being slightly annoyed by all the marketing and BUY-BUY stuff you described. After all it's supposed to make us happy.

Now I'd like some more RAM for My mac this Christmas :( :D

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2004, 2:25 pm

Maybe if society didn't pay sports morons, fashion people and movie stars the ridiculous amounts that they get, some other poeple who actually work for a living could benefit.

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2004, 4:26 pm

I know. Christmas has become rather commercial. These ads for stuff keep popping up. If NTs don't start to think more about the true meaning of Christmas, they might as well rename it Buymas in a few years.

The current issue of Nickelodeon Magazine doesn't have a Christmas section this year, but a The Presents section instead. Their gift guide is 4 and a half pages long (the other half of the fifth page was used for the wish list and the "Winner Takes All" sweepstakes). And the number of pages devoted to adverts is at least a whopping 44 and five sixths. MORE proof it's turned into Buymas.

I know it's been Buymas pretty much all my life, but it sure is now.

:!: Mich :?:

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2004, 4:29 pm

Absolute_Zero wrote:
Maybe if society didn't pay sports morons, fashion people and movie stars the ridiculous amounts that they get, some other poeple who actually work for a living could benefit.
or even earn a living from their work.... :x

dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

echospectra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2004, 6:31 pm

C. S. Lewis on the commercialization of Christmas: What Christmas means to me (bit of a rant) and Xmas and Christmas: A Lost Chapter from Herodotus (satire). (Yes, I posted the last one before)

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2004, 6:36 pm

tom lehrer did it best...

Gim
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2004, 6:40 pm

Quite funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: