User-names that truly convey who you are

Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 2:03 am

IdahoRose wrote:
If my username weren't IdahoRose, it'd be...

AlexInWonderland - My name is Alex and I love the 2010 Alice in Wonderland movie.

I like that. :)

Anyway, I chose the username Descartes because I was studying scientists and philosophers of the Enlightenment in my World History class, and I was going through some of the famous scientists (I think Newton was my other idea for a username), and I remember being so fascinated with Descartes' "I think, therefore I am" philosophy that I decided to make my username Descartes.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 2:11 am

Aimless wrote:
Willard wrote:
Aimless wrote:
Aimless is an anagram for my name

Gotcha - Kewl! :wink: I like that.

Thanks-I'm still loving "deadpan walking"; that needs to be on a teeshirt.
Speaking of such, I want a picture of Buster Keaton on a shirt, because we both walk around with the same non expression.

For the longest time I thought that was a picture of Christopher Walken 8O

My username was just picked rather randomly at the time. I wish I put more thought into making something a bit more interesting and stand-out.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 3:27 am

A_Spock_Darkly wrote:
A_Spock_Darkly: I'm reasonable and logical in a world that is too often anything but.

I love it...just perfect; truer words have almost never been said.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 4:30 am

My user name is based on a computer game called English Invaders. It was released for the VIC-20 in 1983 to help young children learn basic literacy skills. The name reflects my personality in three ways:

1) I'm English

2) I have a strong interest in retro-gaming; esp. the Commodore VIC-20 and the Sega Game Gear

3) English composition is my natural aptitude

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 8:21 am

MONKEY wrote:
I just choose usernames I like the look of

THEN AGAIN:
My username on another forum is PanPaniscus, and that's something to do with my special interests. But it's not quite a reflection of who I am because I'm not a pan paniscus :lol: (not far off though, only 1.4% difference heh heh 8))

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2010, 3:56 pm

I came up with OuterBoroughGirl for pretty uncreative reasons -- I live in an Outer Borough of New York City. It's also kind of a statement to annoy the Manhattanite elitists - those who hold the opinion that anyone who's anyone lives in Manhattan. Many Manhattanites hold the view that Manhattan is the REAL New York City, even though it's actually only a small part of the city geographically speaking. I'm not knocking Manhattan -- there's plenty there worth visiting, but there is a lot more to the city than Manhattan. Basically, my username boldly states that I live in an Outer Borough and I'm not ashamed. I realize that WPers hail from all over the world, and very few people from outside the New York area are going to understand the reference. Ah, well, I'm used to people having no clue what I'm talking about, so that's just par for the course for me. :shrug:
It occurred to me sometime after I chose that username that it can be interpreted on a different level as well. OuterBoroughGirl can also be interpreted to mean a person who's an outsider, who perpetually feels on the periphery of things. That deeper meaning wasn't intentional on my part, but it fits, so I may as well go with it. :)
One username I've used on other forums is Edupoet, which is a reference to my interest in writing and education. There isn't much explanation necessary there.
Another username that may have been a good fit for me is AmorphousPeg. I started considering myself an amorphous peg back when I was a student at a quirky liberal arts college that was advertised as an ideal environment for misfits. I convinced myself that among fellow self-identified oddballs, I would find my niche. I believed I would fit in there. My Mom encouraged this, telling me I'm a "square peg," and that's why I could never fit in the the standard "round holes. " (metaphorically speaking) She told me that this college for fellow "square pegs" (aka misfits) should prove a far better fit for me than any school I had attended up until then.
I arrived at college, and soon discovered that this was not the case -- even among the oddballs, I *still* didn't fit in. I wasn't bullied there, but I was still regarded as "the weird girl."
I then determined that I'm not a square peg at all - I'm an amorphous peg, and I'm not likely to ever find a hole that fits me. No matter what I do, and where I go in life, I'm always an outsider. That's not an easy thing to come to terms with, but that's how it is for me, and how it's always going to be, so my best bet is just to own it. :?
Okay, I've gone into far too much detail, as always. I'll make my exit for now.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 4:02 pm

"Morgana"- because when I joined WP, my special interest was Goddesses, and Morgana was the one I chose. (I actually wanted to be "Morgaine", but that name was taken apparently, although I´ve never seen a Morgaine on this forum. One of my favorite books was "Mists of Avalon"....even though I don´t usually read fiction. :lol: ) Anyway, "Morgana" is an earlier/alternative name for Morgaine, or "Morgan le Fay".

Aside from that, I could have gone as "dancer", since I´ve been a dancer most of my adult life. And now I´m a dance teacher/choreographer.

Hmmm, a third possible name? I don´t know, my mind is blank at the moment. I guess I´m just "lacking in imagination". :lol:

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 4:12 pm

Aimless wrote:
Aimless is an anagram for my name

I wish I'd thought of using an anagram. I could have been "Acerbic Loser Honk", which actually fits me perfectly!! ! It's probably already been taken though....

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 4:27 pm

Plated Drake, Draconis Argentus (Assuming my Latin is correct and not some Warhammer 40k bastardization) is a Silver Dragon . . . (go according to DnD rules and backgrounds).

Alignment: Lawful/Good, but doesn't go out of it's way to right wrongs that aren't local
Persona: A shapeshifter, preferring humanoid forms (yes, I messed up and took a human form . . . :P :lol: ). An anonymous or wandering paladin.
Aesthetics: Humble, by draconian standards - has a preference for select jewels/-ery and clothes, and varied menus in foods (again, humanoid dishes).

Lore aside, I've always been around tales of dragons, and happened by this idea of self around college (though I didn't know it existed in DnD at the time as I wasn't a regular player . . . was scary how I knew what it was and it's details w/o seeing it first).

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 4:42 pm

My nick means Light in the Night in Finnish and I think it's good for me. I'm nocturnal, sensitive to sunlight. I can't stand any Light except me. I could spend my life in the darkness with some candles or bulbs with small watts.

Alternatives:
das Licht in der Nacht - means the same, I use it sometimes. When I go somewhere, I sing alle warten auf das Licht (everyone's waiting for the Light, from Rammstein's song).
FasciNation - I'm Aspie, so I'm fascinated and obsessed. It's also provocative wordgame and I love wordgames and languages. I'm a fan of Industrial music and it sounds how it sounds. I don't use this nick.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 7:54 pm

Sometimes I wish my username was "Scarecrow". That would fit me in so many ways.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 12:53 am

From http://www.merriam-webster.com:

Quote:
Main Entry: co·nun·drum
Pronunciation: \kə-ˈnən-drəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1645

1 : a riddle whose answer is or involves a pun
2 a : a question or problem having only a conjectural answer b : an intricate and difficult problem

I was thinking of both 2a and 2b when I came up with my username. I'm still figuring myself out, and probably will be for the rest of my life (hence, the "conjectural answer"). As a result, most other people can't quite figure me out, either.

(Also, I liked the show SEVEN DAYS when it was on. :D)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 1:33 am

I chose the name Xeno because I feel very alien to society.

A_Spock_Darkly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2010, 1:50 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
A_Spock_Darkly wrote:
A_Spock_Darkly: I'm reasonable and logical in a world that is too often anything but.

I love it...just perfect; truer words have almost never been said.

And that's an awesome avatar.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 2:07 am

MONKEY wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
I just choose usernames I like the look of

THEN AGAIN:
My username on another forum is PanPaniscus, and that's something to do with my special interests. But it's not quite a reflection of who I am because I'm not a pan paniscus :lol: (not far off though, only 1.4% difference heh heh 8))

You're 98.6% Bonobo? Me too! :lol:

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 2:33 am

Ambivalence is among other things my natural state of mind.

If I had to choose a new name it'd likely be a reference to one version or another of the Fairy Queen, 'cause I've got otherworldly weirdness down pat.

The year is still young.