Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 9:01 am

Ok, hands up if you tend to leave home with earplugs, in case of invasive noise?

I do :roll: :arrow:

Euclid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2010, 9:07 am

yes, for sure. molded earplug and earmuffs too - sometimes I need both. I also have those in-ear 'phones which I use with my iPOD. I dont take chance when protecting myself here.

I get very angry and violent when unable to control my exposure to noise. I hope I am not alone in feeling this way?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 9:19 am

i need to be hearing everything that is going on around me, so i don't get run over by some vehicle unawares. if i wore earplugs out in public i'd be putting myself in danger. when an exceptionally obnoxious noise pops-up i have been known to just plug my ears and walk rapidly past it until it recedes into the background noise.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 9:32 am

I'd get made fun of if I wore them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 10:05 am

better to be made fun-of by foolish louts than to go deaf through overexposure to loud noise.

Quartz11
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 11:44 am

For the amount of live music I go out and see, I probably should get some. Especially for the smaller venues with blasting speaker systems.

Last night I ended up standing on the upper level of the club, in the back - cause up front with my "friends" it was too much for me to handle.

Euclid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2010, 12:02 pm

auntblabby wrote:
better to be made fun-of by foolish louts than to go deaf through overexposure to loud noise.

My ear muffs are huge things (made by Peltor) and the same type they have on airport runways. I wear them on the train. In two years only one person (the guard) ever passed comment or noticed

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 10:26 pm

I'm thinking of getting myself a pair, to wear to bed. I get the noise of the traffic.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 10:28 pm

I need to get a pair just because of all the loud tools I use (like my angle grinder)

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 3:03 am

I use them mostly in shopping malls and restaurants; they also help me to sleep (and to stay asleep)

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 3:23 am

you can get all sizes. I have 32 db and 20 db. luckily nowadays my hyperacusis has iproved, touch wood. I still cant be around industrial noises and I would have to bring the 32db set to a nightclub

Taking a break.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 3:28 am

it is with obnoxiously loud midrange and treble "sawtooth-wave" noises that i must protect my hearing by using either earplugs or noise-cancelling cans. but when i hear deep loud stentorian bass tones below 40 cycles per second, i find them pleasurable, especially if they throb and make the air vibrate and shake the ground. the pressure on the ear drums and ear canal is also pleasant. this affection for bass does NOT extend to "BOMBADYBOMP" [between 40-200 cycles per second] rap music thumping from car sound systems with improper bass alignment.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 10:31 pm

Heavy bass 'music' (the type that often comes out of moving cars and FEELS like I am listening to it through earphones) is very hard for me to hear.

What makes it worse is that it doesn't actually have to be very LOUD for it to affect me :?